Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May confirms an end to Free Movement. The new system will be skills based and will treat EU citizens the same as non-EU citizens.

Again, am I missing something or does this pretty much confirm No Deal?

Comment

The skills based system will never come to pass. Not in a million years, it will face too much opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
        May confirms an end to Free Movement. The new system will be skills based and will treat EU citizens the same as non-EU citizens.

Again, am I missing something or does this pretty much confirm No Deal?
        Nah; free movement was always going to end. It's the main thing that Leavers wanted. I think any deal was going to have that.

Comment

She's basically letting the EU know that any deal that gets struck will definitely end free movement of people. There is literally no point in the EU coming up with any kind of proposal that maintains free movement of people now; it'd be a complete waste of time. because they know that there is no way she can ever go back on this now.

Comment

It's also clear it's going to work the other way too. Your freedom of movement will be affected.

Comment

Indeed - a thing that benefited the building trade immensely in the 80s, folks that would be in their 60s, 70s & 80s now, the demographic that mostly voted to leave.

Comment

Meanwhile, UK MEPs vote against corporate tax reform - the real reason a certain group of politicians want out of the EU: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a6982271.html

Comment

Civil partnerships for heterosexual couples is a go

Comment

As expected, the EU is less than impressed by the direction May is headed

Comment

Yeah, no surprises there. Again, nobody in the UK can expect to remove themselves from the EU while also getting any benefits that come with being in the EU. It's the same old story. And yeah, it looks like she is pushing a No Deal scenario.

Of course, there isn't a true No Deal scenario unless the UK ceases all trading with the EU nations, which I can't imagine it can afford to do. It means all those individual trade deals will need to be negotiated over time rather than an overall deal and with individual countries that need to adhere to EU regulations. It's possible and it happens with other countries but it took decades and it's going to be such a mess here. Whether now or later, concessions will need to be made.

Comment

I prefix this with I believe we should not leave the EU and that Brexit is a stupid idea. However, this made me laugh:

Guy Verhofstadt, the European parliament’s Brexit coordinator, said: “We will never accept discrimination based on skills and on nationality.”
                        Erm, you already do. If you aren't from a nation in the EU then you are dealt with differently. Only those in the club get special rules! Being in the club doesn't get you special rules if you want to travel/emigrate to a nation that's not in the club of course. We're becoming one of those nations that aren't in the club. Like the other 87% of nations in fact.

I feel like the whole thing would work better if there were a series of clubs rather than just once that encompasses everything. People talk about Brexit like leaving a golf club but it's not quite like that; it's more like this:

1. Join golf club
                        2. Football club joins golf club and now you have to subsidise the junior football team
                        3. Golf club gets health insurance system that you have to sign up to
                        4. You want to play golf with someone not in the golf club (I mean, it's still golf but they're not a member) but you can't because the rest of the people in the golf club don't want to play golf with that person, and they don't want you to either
                        5. You want to play cricket with the west indies but you can't because last week the rules about cricket were brought under the control of the people running the golf club

etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                          Erm, you already do..
                          He's speaking for the members of his club so the meaning seems to be about when dealing with this club - an EU citizen is an EU citizen and he is saying he won't accept people within the EU being treated differently to others within the EU.

Comment

Its not often we get to hear the perspective of brexit from within the EU, and although this article is from the Express (not the best source), its interesting:
                            JEAN-CLAUDE Juncker is at fault for Brexit because he refused to hand David Cameron more “autonomy over immigration”, a German MEP claimed in a furious attack on the EU.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              He's speaking for the members of his club so the meaning seems to be about when dealing with this club - an EU citizen is an EU citizen and he is saying he won't accept people within the EU being treated differently to others within the EU.
                              That makes much more sense!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X