This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
    Its not often we get to hear the perspective of brexit from within the EU, and although this article is from the Express (not the best source), its interesting:
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/10...ns-Olaf-Henkel
    Be very clear: pretty much nobody in the EU wants or will benefit from Brexit. It's not good for the EU.

Comment

^^^
      Amazing

Comment

Surely one of the aims of the EU would be the redistribution of the EU27's wealth so all member nations citizens had equal funding? Otherwise, it's discriminating EU citizens from one another. They should all have access to the same resources? I know they'd say that's covered by freedom of movement but it's no secret that isn't a solution at all.

There's loads of other similar matters, I think I've never heard what the actual far future endgame is for the EU as its name alone limits its scope and if it isn't aimed to remove all national borders and identities then it's something that cherry picks causes and is somewhat redundant if simpler agreements can achieve the same with less bureaucracy.

Surely Star Trek's Federation is the ultimate goal? With the American's being the Klingons?

Comment

Anyone else think this is going to end like Dallas?

It was all a dream....

Comment

It's not a commune or some Burning Man event, SF.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
              Surely one of the aims of the EU would be the redistribution of the EU27's wealth so all member nations citizens had equal funding?

There's loads of other similar matters, I think I've never heard what the actual far future endgame is for the EU
              I think that's part of the problem; what is the EU's eventual goal? I don't think that has ever been codified.

I think the goal was to expand the EU or link it up with other unions, with the ultimate goal of having a single, unified world nation with one financial system. The problem is that I don't think any politician would ever assert that because people would laugh at them; there are far too many reasons it won't work for centuries.

Comment

Can we not round up all the floating plastic rubbish in the sea and make a new island for all the militant Brexiteers to live on and everyone else just live in the UK, which is still part of the EU?

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                  I think that's part of the problem; what is the EU's eventual goal? I don't think that has ever been codified.

I think the goal was to expand the EU or link it up with other unions, with the ultimate goal of having a single, unified world nation with one financial system. The problem is that I don't think any politician would ever assert that because people would laugh at them; there are far too many reasons it won't work for centuries.
                  If it works for the benefit of the people within the union, I'm not sure the goal needs to be defined. My life doesn't yet have a goal but I'm not going to end it because, as it happens, it's working for me. That would be self-destructive for no reason whatsoever. What's the end goal of having any country? I don't think you get an end cut scene and credits. You just keep going and try to do better.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                    If it works for the benefit of the people within the union, I'm not sure the goal needs to be defined. My life doesn't yet have a goal but I'm not going to end it because, as it happens, it's working for me. That would be self-destructive for no reason whatsoever. What's the end goal of having any country? I don't think you get an end cut scene and credits. You just keep going and try to do better.
                    I'm not saying the EU should stop (I voted remain after all); I just mean that one of the EU's biggest problems seems to be PR. A lot of people hate the EU because they don't understand what it does for them, and I think part of it is a lack of clarity as to what the organisation's goals and objectives are.

Comment

I don't even know if I'd agree with that because, even though I feel you're correctly identifying a problem, I think you're looking in the wrong direction. Check your UK newstands and pick up the likes of the Daily Mail to see why that lack of clarity exists. At the likes of Farage. And the disproportionate air time he is given in UK media. At the lies told during the referendum. At Boris Johnson who is still at it. The information is all available. It's available now and it was before the vote. You can say PR is a problem but it's a UK problem. It's a reporting problem. It's a far right problem.

Comment

I wouldn't say it's a UK problem even though it is bad here, I'd be quite surprised if many EU citizens had much of a clue what the long term ambitions of the EU are and anti-EU sentiments have grown in other countries too. But there must be some, it is undoubtedly constantly making decisions and small changes to grow over time but if there's no long term plan then it'd be impossible for them to manage the EU or deal with any issues that present themselves because they failed to carry out any long term planning or prevention.

It's not from conspiracy style standpoint though, just from one where there must be ambitions being targeted for where they see the EU being in 5, 10, 50 years time and an outline of how to get from here to there. Otherwise they do risk something blindsiding them into a very damaging position.

Comment

What's the long term ambition of the UK? Where can I find this info?

Comment

The long term ambitions of most countries are known as they relate to economical growth, living standards etc. You could say the same applies to the EU but by comparison the EU isn't a nation of people, it's a shared common agreement amongst nations managed by an international political body - one that is only a couple of decades old rather than hundreds of years old. From some standpoints the EU is still effectively opening up shop.

Fuel Duty is going to remain frozen - Good given how poorly managed fuel pricing already is

Comment

Yes, it is still opening up shop. I think that's a good way of putting it. It is also a shared common agreement, another good way of putting it. And those things, like countries or anything else, evolve and change but the idea feels the same: economic growth, living standards - these things are not secrets. So then, as much as the UK (which is effectively a union of countries in itself), we do know the aim. Issue solved.

Comment

So, we're effectively to the EU what Sturgeon and the SNP want to be to the UK... no wonder Sturgeon has piped down of late

Comment

Working...
                                X