This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brad View Post
    I've joked about it in the past but I now think that the queen needs to step in with a statement that this is a national crisis, we are backing out of Brexit, change the voting rules so that people's votes actually count i.e. voting something other than tory or labour can actually have an impact and insist on a general election immediately. I think the British people would actually respect that whereas they would not respect ANYTHING that ANY of the current bellends did or said.
    Proportional representation is the way to go. But Westminster has stuck by first past the post for a long time as it’s easier to get a majority that way. And the UK seems to think anything other than a majority government is weird. If the AV carry on a few years back is anything to go by the general public don’t want change anyway.

Comment

I think we do want change, just not the change that was offered?

Comment

The problem is, that referendum showed the politicians that people didn't want electoral reform - that's the message that will be taken from it and used when the question is raised again.

Politicians don't want to change FPTP because it favours the two party system that keeps them in power.

Comment

I know. That’s why liz has to do it!

Comment

Liz is no good, she's been grandmastering the art of doorstop figure heading her entire life. Any movement on her would risk exposing too early how at risk of public sentiment changing on the family always is. She's sat on her backside through every other major event, why change now?

At least it's a secret ballot tonight, true colours may shine.

Comment

Interestingly Guardian just updated due to a tweeted question from someone asking if the Queen can step in. Their answer? No.

Comment

I don't think that answer is technically correct and he should probably have clarified things better; the Queen is head of state, she has the power to appoint a government, open and dissolve Parliament and all the bills that go through Parliament require royal assent.

Politically the answer is probably no, but legally she could dissolve Parliament. There's have to be some seriously massive political reasons for doing so and I doubt Conservative in-fighting would be anywhere near qualifying. IIRC, there was a dramatisation recently of Charles becoming King and being forced to abdicate by William / MPs / skulduggery because of interfering with political process.
                Last edited by MartyG; 12-12-2018, 11:06.

Comment

May outright rules out a General Election and a Second Referendum. How much longer will Labour sit on its hands?

Comment

Just like she ruled it out last time?

Comment

My Liz sorting it all out fantasy won't go away. I'm now imagining her walking into parliament during PMQT with an army and telling everyone to get out... etc.

Comment

Reading the PMQ updates is painful. May just doesn't answer or address a single thing they raise with her, she's pure head in the sand.

Comment

Tory Brexiters demand new leadership vote insisting ‘the will of the MPs’ has changed since 2016

"Tory Brexiters have insisted on a re-run of the 2016 leadership election because they don’t like the way the first vote turned out.

Leading backbench figures have insisted that Theresa May was only able to win the original vote by lying, and that they should be able to change their mind and put a stop to the unending ****-show of her stewardship.

A spokesperson for the 1922 committee said, “The last vote was over two years ago, and a lot has changed in that time.

“We voted at the time for what we thought was going to happen, but it hasn’t turned out that way – so we get to change our minds and vote again. That’s how democracy works you see.

“Theresa promised us things that in hindsight were never deliverable, and that is an affront to the democratic principles we all work under in parliament. She must be held accountable, and those of us that fell for her mistruths should be given the opportunity to change our minds.

“Theresa must go. If our MPs are unable to change their minds, then this nation ceases to be a democracy.”

Leading Brexit figures were approached for comment.

Jacob Rees-Mogg told us, “Ah. I see where you’re going with this. And no. This is very different. You see I want MPs to be given the opportunity to change their minds two years later because it’s beneficial to me. Whereas a people’s vote giving people the opportunity to change their minds two years later would be beneficial to other people.

“See? Chalk and cheese.”"

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                            My Liz sorting it all out fantasy won't go away. I'm now imagining her walking into parliament during PMQT with an army and telling everyone to get out... etc.
                            She isn't allowed to - she's not a commoner so cannot just enter the House - she has to knock on the door first.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                              she has to knock on the door first.
                              She'd do a roundhouse kick on that badboy.

Comment

Starting to look like May will leverage standing down as PM before the next General Election to win enough votes to stay in post during the Brexit era

Comment

Working...
                                X