X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House of Leaves. Again.

This time, I'm going to work it out.

Comment

I'm not the biggest Dean Koontz fan on the planet, but at my wife's request I'm reading "Odd Thomas," and it is just outstanding. Really, I look forward to picking it up. I recommend it.

Comment

Anyone here have/have read this book:

Is it worth getting?

Comment

Just finished two books, Goodfellas and The Beach. Thankfully the Goodfellas film was authentic to the book, meaning I enjoyed it but also didn't leave with the feeling that the film was a poor version.

The Beach was much more interesting. Never read it before, found it absolutely spectacular. The imagery of Daffy and the over head fans was awesome, Francoise sounded so beautiful and the portrayal of Richard was very deep.
          Really, really enjoyed it, is his second book Tesseract worth bothering with?

Just started Contact, on SuperStu's advice. Very interesting thus far, little confusing with some of the science talk in places though. Just started getting going it has, they're unravelling the message...
          Last edited by bowser123; 02-01-2005, 17:44. Reason: Spelling and added feedback.

Comment

I've just finished reading Digital Retro. Which is an excellent coffee table type book on home computers from the beginnings to the end of the 80s. It was a totally unexpected christmas present and I loved it

Now I'm most of the way through Raising the Bar. The artwork / inside story book on Half Life 2. Its an excellent book with tonnes of really cool artwork and info on how the game was made. If you enjoyed the game then its fascinating.

Next up is an enormous hardback book which is a biography of the Pythons (as in Monty Pythons).

Oh and in my quiet moments I'm flicking through Programming Perl.

Comment

Atlas of the world's Religions. But I don't think that counts, really.
              I'll soon start on Heart of Darkness though, gotta read and analyze it for school >-<

Comment

I'm reading something totally meaningless and crap to offset the amount of reading I have to do for my course. I'm going through the Necroscope books. Fantastic B-Movie level stuff they are.

Comment

Just about to start reading 'Tietam Brown' by the Hardcore Legend himself, Mick Foley (on the recommendation of my brother, who refused to tell me anything apart from the fact that I'll love it...)

Comment

I loved Lumley's Necroscope novels. His vampires were so much more interesting than Rice's limpwristed pansies. Good gruesome fun, and plenty of reading to be had. If you liked those novels, I heartily recommend the Psychomech books. Awesome reads.

Comment

Originally posted by JRMacumber
                      I loved Lumley's Necroscope novels. His vampires were so much more interesting than Rice's limpwristed pansies. Good gruesome fun, and plenty of reading to be had. If you liked those novels, I heartily recommend the Psychomech books. Awesome reads.
                      Lumley's Vampires are indeed a nice foil for the Anne Rice ones, I'll give you that. I'm only halfway through the books now. I'll read the Psychomech ones before I get to the Vampire World ones, I think.

Comment

i just read brian keenes ace zombie novel 'the rising' - fast zombies are in / slow zombies are sooooooo last season ....

now reading fear and loathing in las vegas

Comment

Originally posted by paddyo
                          i just read brian keenes ace zombie novel 'the rising' - fast zombies are in / slow zombies are sooooooo last season ....
                          I like slow zombies...

Comment

I like slow zombies, you're so much more likey to escape...

Comment

Im currently re-reading Alastair Reynolds 'Revelation Space' . Its the first in a series of 4 novels. I read the first 3 sometime ago and only recently picked up the fourth so im re-reading the first 3 again to freshen them in my mind.
                              One thing about the books is their scope, you think youve got the whole thing mapped out in your head then the whole thing is blown open and what you thought you knew was a tiny fraction of the whole story. A very heavy read at times but extremely rewarding.

Comment

I am currently reading 'Salems lot' by Stephen King, apparently this is terrifying and will frighten me, according to my sister, and also 'A secure base' by John Bowlby, which is to do with attachment theory.

Comment

Working...
                                X