No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horror doesn't work on everyone. I'm a strong believer in the fact that you have to open yourself to be scared by a film or a book. Most of the films I find terrifying (like The Shining, as an example) are looked on by all my friends as the least scary things ever.

I mean, where's the gore?

Maybe I'm just some kind of pussy.

Comment

I generally find movies to be quite unfrightening, although I remember watching 'Don't look now' when I was a child, (an entirely unsuitable film for me to have been watching really) and the part in the movie to which the title refers, scared the crap out of me,
      I believe books can generally be more unsettling than film if a person has some sense of imagination.

Comment

Originally posted by Ersatz Nihilist
        No, I think you're right. How a person reacts to a novel or film really depends on how open they make themselves to it. I'm usually not all that affected by horror books (with movies I'm a complete pansy), but one that did truly horrify me was William Blatty's "Exorcist." Scared me so bad I had to actually put it down out of fear of my heart giving out. Hasn't happened again since. That book just really sucked me in and hit my worst buttons.

Comment

Originally posted by JRMacumber
          No, I think you're right. How a person reacts to a novel or film really depends on how open they make themselves to it. I'm usually not all that affected by horror books (with movies I'm a complete pansy), but one that did truly horrify me was William Blatty's "Exorcist." Scared me so bad I had to actually put it down out of fear of my heart giving out. Hasn't happened again since. That book just really sucked me in and hit my worst buttons.
          I thought the film was pretty frightening, havent read the book, but I can imagine it is most unpleasant.

Comment

Horror doesn't work on everyone. I'm a strong believer in the fact that you have to open yourself to be scared by a film or a book. Most of the films I find terrifying (like The Shining, as an example) are looked on by all my friends as the least scary things ever.

I mean, where's the gore?

Alot people had the same reaction to the Blair witch - generally I found that teh peolpe who said it was crap were expecting loads of gore and were not prepared/able to think about the film. I found the shining really scary and the blair witch I thought was very un-nerving but not as scary.

As for what Im reading now : Che Guevara - The Bolivian Diaries. Its a bit hard to read as its just his entries so is broken up alot but it ooozes atmosphere and allows to you see how he lived leading to his death.

Comment

Originally posted by JRMacumber
              I just got started on "Wolves Of The Calla," the fifth Dark Tower book by Stephen King. I read the previous four books back to back right before this, so I'm in full-on Gunslinger mode. I'm hoping this new book upholds the high standards set by the previous ones.
              Damm right, the series is amazing, im currently half way thorugh the Waste lands which is the 3rd book in the series out of 7. Next is Wizard and Glass and I really can not wait!

I really think that these are Stephens Kings finest books he has ever written, the pinnacle of his career. The way he writes for The Dark Tower series makes them just so easy to pick up and read, and very hard to put back down again. The story is amazing and always has a real sense of mystery and never lets go of that grip.

I also really think that the characters I have met upto so far in the series are amazing, and I reallly think that Roland the last gunslinger is just brillent. With Eddie Dean you always feel is vunerable, and Sushanna... well... she is great too, though I have a feeling something major is going to happen with her to do with the Dark Tower and ultamly Roland himself... I guess all will be revealed in the 6th book The Song of Sushanna...

Anyway here are the pictures of the books... enjoy....

(These are all in order from the first book to the last in the series)

Comment

I'm now reading a book about the cognitive processing of faces.

Blah.

Comment

Today I am mostly reading, John Locke; Two Treaties of Government (second one) and finding it very hard to be interested in, concentrate on or gain anything from. Wouldn't reccommend it unless you have to read it.

Comment

The Game of Kings - Dorothy Dunnett (on my 2nd time through the series - I love her books although I don't recognise 90% of the references).

Tides of War - Steven Pressfield

Comment

the Halo books. Reach was rubbish, flood seems better

Comment

Originally posted by macosx
                        the Halo books. Reach was rubbish, flood seems better
                        Wha? "The Fall Of Reach" was, while not nearly up to the measure of books such as "Starship Troopers" and "Armor," still a very enjoyable read. "The Flood" was ****ing awful, and damn near unreadable. Luckily the third book brings back the writer from the first book, and it's pretty damn good too.

Comment

I really enjoyed Fall of Reach, I didn't bother finishing The Flood because I knew exactly what was going to happen. It was rather pointless. The third book was OK, but tbh, I'd lost interest in the series by then... it was quite good to join the end of Halo->Halo 2.

Comment

I'm now reading a book about the cognitive processing of faces.

Blah.
                            I read that as 'the cognitive processing of faeces' >_<

Back on topic:

Most recently I've read Going Postal by Terry Pratchett. I hadn't read a Discworld book for years before getting this for Christmas. It's like I'd never been away. There's something cosy and comfortable about going back to a series like this. Everything is so familiar. Which has good points and bad points, I suppose. I found it amusing and fairly gripping (I finished it in two sessions). Basically, If you're a fan of the series you'll like this, but if you're not a fan, this won't change your mind. But then you knew that already.

I read Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them by Al Franken recently as well. It's a rather funny 'critique' of the American Right. While it was well researched and sourced (there's plenty of scope for going on Google and looking up the articles and newspaper reports etc that are quoted), it does suffer from very selective fact usage (ie only facts which back up his points are mentioned). But then you know it's going to be biased from the title. In summary, funny but I wouldn't take it too seriously.
                            Last edited by dug; 10-01-2005, 16:56.

Comment

Originally posted by dug
                              I read that as 'the cognitive processing of faeces' >_<
                              I could still apply this sodding theory if I wanted to.

Comment

Haruki Murakami - The Wind-up Bird Chronicle.

In English, sorry. His books are ace... short of resorting to a search of this thread, I'll recommend Hard-Boiled Wonderland as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X