No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All the earlier talk of Stephen King set me off and I'm half way through my 1st ever King book- The Shining.

I've seen the film and adore it, the book is so much more descriptive though. Even though I'm only half way through I currently understand so much more about Jack Torrence than Jack Nicholson ever alluded to. Stuff like Redrum, Jacks illness and Dannys previous experience all give a much fuller picture.

Wonderful book so far and very nasty in places.

Comment

Originally posted by Nijo
      Haruki Murakami - The Wind-up Bird Chronicle.

In English, sorry. His books are ace... short of resorting to a search of this thread, I'll recommend Hard-Boiled Wonderland as well.
      I've been rinsing his books over the last few months as well, and I agree The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is a work of sheer genius!

I recommend his books to everyone on this site, the way he captures human emotions and feelings through his characters and narrative is second to none. You really get a sense that his characters are living, breathing human beings.

His juxtaposition of the real with the surreal is also very well done.

I'm currently reading "Norwegian Wood" by this author which is also very good so far.

Comment

Keep hearing about this from various people. Must check it out.

I haven't read much in a while really, just started the 3rd book in the Dark Materials Trilogy which is great stuff.

Comment

Some really big things happen in Amber Spyglass Gareth, quite surprising some of it. It's sometimes criticised but I found it as good as the others, albeit maybe a little too religious and perhaps even anti climatic compared to the others at the end.

Comment

Yes, I have been told it's a bit of an anti-climax. Still enjoying it, and as I didn't start it with any great expectations it can't be too much of a let down. Will post with impressions when finished!

Comment

Originally posted by bowser123
              All the earlier talk of Stephen King set me off and I'm half way through my 1st ever King book- The Shining.

I've seen the film and adore it, the book is so much more descriptive though. Even though I'm only half way through I currently understand so much more about Jack Torrence than Jack Nicholson ever alluded to. Stuff like Redrum, Jacks illness and Dannys previous experience all give a much fuller picture.

Wonderful book so far and very nasty in places.
              Then you really must read the Dark Tower series, go back a page or two to see my post on it.

The series is his masterpiece...

Comment

I'm reading Evolving Cosmos at the moment. And its thoroughly enjoyable.

Comment

Digital Fortress by Dan Brown (wrote the DaVinci Code), having just finished his other book Deception Point

Comment

I bought Daver Gormans Googlewhack Adventure at the weekend and I plan to start that today. He is doing a signing and talk at the Waterstones in Sheffield in a couple of weeks so I might go if I enjoy this book.

Comment

Just finished Big Bad Wolf by James Patterson, which is one of his best ever. Am really looking forward to the sequel.

Comment

Just received Akira #2, William Gibsons "Count Zero" and Phillip K. Dick's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep"

God knows when i'll get around to them though!

Comment

Am currently reading - The Law of the Playground. Very funny.

Comment

I'm currently reading Predator's Gold, the follow up to Mortal Engines. An amazing book.

Comment

20 Years later.

Comment

I'm currently reading "Dave Gorman's Googlewhack Adventure" because its a hilarious tale of someone who in another way could be consider mentally ill

Also, his delivery of "gags" is sublime and I love the guy to bits, "Are You Dave Gorman?" is genius, I really hope some of his older stuff gets released onto DVD at some point.

Comment

Working...
                                X