No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just finished reading Chainfire by Terry Goodkind, the 9th book in his Sword of Truth series, and the first book in the trilogy to end the series. It was a great read, and I'd rank it as the 2nd or maybe 3rd best in the series. I'd recommend to any fan of fantasy the Sword of Truth series (first book is Wizard's First Rule, and the best in the series imo). The series also has a lot of philosophical and religious undertones, and is based in a very well realised world. I really, really enjoyed the books.

Regarding the 9th book Chainfire, even though it is the ninth book in the series, it still manages to 'feel' like the opening book in an epic trilogy, as though the first 8 books were just introductory and setting the scene. It has a brilliant 'ending' which isn't quite a cliffhanger, but leaves you hungering for the second and third books. It also manages to tie together plenty of different elements of the series, and points towards an ending that is very much in-keeping with the whole event that sparked the beginning of the series. A riveting read.

Comment

Currently reading Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami. A good book but sadly its missing some of the magic of Murakami's earlier works

Comment

I`m currently in a internet cafe reading "Ringotomomo" its an idol book, so there aern`t many words but the pictures are really pretty.

Comment

Im currently reading "The Belgariad" series by David Eddings. Absolutely love these books so far. Ive just finished the 4th book and waiting on the 5th and final part to arrive.

I have also order the entire 2nd series of books called "The Mallorean", which is also 5 books with the same characters!

If you are in anyway into fantasy stuff you should read these books. Saying that if you are into fantasy stuff you probably already have!

Comment

Just finished Cloud Atlas.

Looking for something else now, any recomendations, please PM me.

Comment

Just finished Are you Dave Gorman and am now reading a collection of Sherlock Holmes stories. They're ace as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Kungfu
                Currently reading Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami. A good book but sadly its missing some of the magic of Murakami's earlier works
                I completely disagree with you there, mate.

I think it's up there with The Wind Up Bird Chronicle (which is my favourite Murakami novel, and probably my favourite book ever).

Comment

Undoubtedly a great novel however I found it difficult at times to care about Kafka, I much preferred the lead character of Toru Okada in The Wind-up Bird Chronicle. On the other hand I adored the Nakata/Hoshino pairing. Go figure?

Comment

Just finished Waiting Period by Robert Selby Jr.

Great first half, crap second half.

Comment

i'm nearing the end of the splinter cell novel

jesus

what the guy who wrote it (david micheals) has done is take what splinter cell is and only use part of it

sam fisher is not james bond. there is a team of people at third echelon who do the spying and then he is dropped in to perform a mission. he does not take part in bond like meetings with the bad guys, he is inserted into a situation with a job to do

also, he ahs replaced characters and got the characterisation of other characters all wrong

dick

anyway, once i finish it i'm starting on some game design text books i recently got before getting back into terry pratchett

Comment

Just finished reading "The Long Hard Road Out of Hell" which is Marilyn Manson's autobiography.

I don't like the man's music whatsoever, but I've always thought he was an interesting guy, so when a friend let me borrow her copy of his book, I thought I might as well read it.

Verdict? Well... he's been through a lot (mostly self-inflicted), and has done some very nasty things to people and is -in many respects- the dictionary definition of pretentious, but all in all I feel very sorry for the guy. It's obvious that deep down, he's carrying a lot of hurt.

All in all, a good book worth reading.

Now reading Haruki Murakami's 'Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World'. That's the last of his books for me. I'm going to miss reading this ispired author's genius.

Comment

Just started Stephen King's The Green Mile. I've seen the film of course, but the book is also very good.

Comment

I'm just going through a nice cheese adventure type thing, Clive Cussler's The Golden Budha. I read most of Murakami's Norwegian Wood a little while ago but haven't tried any of the others yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Ady
                              Verdict? Well... he's been through a lot (mostly self-inflicted), and has done some very nasty things to people and is -in many respects- the dictionary definition of pretentious, but all in all I feel very sorry for the guy. It's obvious that deep down, he's carrying a lot of hurt.

All in all, a good book worth reading.
                              It is actually very well written; waaay better than most naff rockstar/celeb autobiographies (although how much is due to Neil Strauss is unknown - Manson was a journalist before laying down the "rock", though).

What you get from the book is a terrific sense of dissociation from the person he is now (feeding into the pretentious "he's playing a role" crap) - you read about him as a kid and, well, he's all of us.

Comment

reading 'scally' the story of an everton following 'hooligan', is quite funny, a bit cheesy and monotonous in the constant descriptions of the fights....

Comment

Working...
                                X