What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by achoo View Post
    I'm a HUGE fan of Robert Rankin, I have 12 of his hilarious books and would advise anyone of any age to pick them up and start reading.
    They are basically the most random literature you'll ever read, but are all connected in some ridiculous way, be it characters or the setting.

I'd advise everyone to read at least one Robert Rankin book! serious laugh out loud funny
    Have you read 'Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse'? Really funny.

Havn't been reading anything but the books i've got exams on recently. So i've read Emma for about the tenth time - and although I do like Jane Austen as much as the next guy (sarcasm intended ) - its beginning to wear thin. But I got that exam out of the way today, now just for Captain Corelli's Mandolin which i'm also getting a bit sick off. Silly ending.

Exams are over on Friday and i've got a long train journey ahead of me back to london in the evening, looking forward to starting something fresh - maybe that new(ish) David Mitchell book that i've been meaning to pick up.

Comment

Just finished Peter Kay's book. Very disappointing in that it was extremely funny, written in a style that is almost like one long stand up routine, and frequently made me literally laugh out loud - the problem was it doesn't actually discuss anything important in his life - only the minutiae of his many part time jobs, and him trying to learn to drive. I hope he makes a second one, and actually writes about his tours, his comedy shows, relationships with Dave Spikey/Paddy Mcguiness.

Next up for me was gonna be Gordon Ramsay's book, but the wife lent it to someone at work. WIll have a look at what we have got, could even read Kerry Katona or summat.

Did Keith Floyd ever do a book, other than a cookery one? Would love to read that as he is one of my heroes.

Comment

Graphotism issue #45

always a good read. i must have an internal Graphotism clock, as almost every 3 months i think - 'hang on, shouldn't it be out by now?' so i go to Borders and there it is

this issue has a very good piece on Walls of Fire, and an outstanding bit on a 8-year-old girl called Solvieg who does walls - with some brilliant photos - her skeletons are excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by Champloo View Post
          Have you read 'Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse'? Really funny.
          Yea it was the first Robert Rankin book i ever read, picked it up in a train station, and not looked back since!!
          If you like that you should check out the sequel - The Toyminator! (I've still not read it yet but i'd imagine its great stuff)

Witches of chiswick another great Rankin classic!

Can anyone recommend any new material for me to read? Either something totally off the wall or even on a serious note? Looking to broaden my small library i'm starting to collect

Comment

Its the only one i've ever read, really did enjoy it though! Didn't realise there was a sequel.

Something to read... its an obvious one, but you'd probably like Terry Pratchet - also very funny.

And maybe Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell, was a few months ago when I finished it but its really stuck in my mind. Its serious but there's quite a bit of humour in there.

Comment

Originally posted by bingowings View Post
              Graphotism issue #45
              I'm always tempted but its just so pricey

Still reading through Ralph Steadman's memories of Hunter S Thompson "The Joke Is Over". Very interesting to see events from an others persons viewpoint.

Comment

@Shamploo: has David Mitchell written anything else? I read Cloud Atlas a few months ago and thought it was excellent - basically five novellas in one. Thought the central conceit was superb. I haven't seen anything else he's done.

Comment

Originally posted by Peekay View Post
                  @Shamploo: has David Mitchell written anything else? I read Cloud Atlas a few months ago and thought it was excellent - basically five novellas in one. Thought the central conceit was superb. I haven't seen anything else he's done.
                  He's written a few more actually. Cloud Atlas is supposed to be his best, his first novel Ghostwritten is very good as well, similar theme accept this time he takes on 9 or 10 lives (long time since I read it now) and they all link together. He also did another novel set in Japan which sounds interesting, but I havn't got around to reading it - Number9dream I think its called.

Comment

Originally posted by spagmasterswift View Post

Still reading through Ralph Steadman's memories of Hunter S Thompson "The Joke Is Over". Very interesting to see events from an others persons viewpoint.
                    it's ?15 every 3 months - i've bought it off-and-on for 6 years or so, since it was ?5 every month, so it works out the same - but now there is more content and the quality of the stock etc. is much better.

i now have 14 full-size issues, and a few of the skinny ones - so it's about ?300 worth

Comment

Reeeeeeespec' is due to my main man Bingowings for the copy of Watchmen, the best comic series ever. Safe! (etc)

Comment

Originally posted by spagmasterswift View Post

I'm a big fan of Hunter's (well and Ralph's) work, so I'll definitely be checking that out, thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Comment

Originally posted by Psi View Post
                          Reeeeeeespec' is due to my main man Bingowings for the copy of Watchmen, the best comic series ever. Safe! (etc)
                          you knows it!

bought in.... wait for it.... 1987 or there abouts - so it's held together quite well.
                          Last edited by bingowings; 20-01-2007, 12:08.

Comment

Just finished Robinson Crusoe. Does half drag on a bit doesn't it? I can see how I would have enjoyed it as a nipper mind.

Moved onto the Wind-up Bird Chronicle. Only a few chapters in but i'm enjoying it.
                            Last edited by Champloo; 16-03-2007, 10:54.

Comment

Just tonight finished Lot 249 (Conan Doyle) for the fourth time, and continuing to enjoy George R R Martin's Storm of Swords.

Comment

Originally posted by Champloo View Post
                                Just finished Robinson Cruesoe. Does half drag on a bit doesn't it? I can see how I would have enjoyed it as a nipper mind.

Moved onto the Wind-up Bird Chronicle. Only a few chapters in but i'm enjoying it.
                                Wind-up Bird Chronicle, as i have probably said countless times in this thread, is fantastic, one of the few books i wanted to re-read as soon as i'd finished

Rather shamefully, i'm not reading anything atm, although i am writing my own book, so rather than taint it with others ideas or images, im running on literary vapours (back of bean tins, cereal packets, emails at work etc) instead...

Next year look out for a book called '419', you'll love it

Comment

Working...
                                X