No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm another one who recently finished "I am legend". Brilliant read, very powerful. Sadly the film looks to be taking only a few concepts and running with them...a direct adaption would be much appreciated.

Also if you didn't know "The Omega Man" is based on this novel, been a while since I've seen it myself so I may have to search it out. Again it uses concepts rather than being a direct adaption.

I'm also reading "The Stars my Destination". Another sci-fi classic (1950s), which is proving a very interesting read indeed. Lots of sci-fi concepts that have become common place appear in this book...heck even bullet time is in there!

Comment

Just finished The Restraint of Beasts - Magnus Mills. It was a pretty decent comedy about a couple of Scottish fencers (that is, they put fences in place, not prance about with swords) who are sent to England to do a bit of work and the narrator, a English fella, who has to keep a hold of them. They spend a lot of time at the pub, little time working and make a mess of everything. There's a very funny running gag throughout the book but I don't want to spoil it. Its one of the few books, however, that i'd actually rather watch on TV, it'd make a good comedy.

Going through The Testament of Gideon Mack at the moment, only a 100 odd pages in but its a nice change of pace.

Comment

Finished off that recent Murakami short story collection - Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman (?) which I did enjoy. Started Hard Times - Dickens now.

Comment

Just started the artemus fowl series of books i need something to fill the harry potter void now its done & dusted.

Comment

Recent reads include Harry Potter 1-4 (a cheap boxset), which became more enjoyable with more successive volume. I'd like to eventually read the rest of the series but I'm in no real hurry tbh.

I also re-read Monkey, which wasn't as enjoyable this time around.

I'm now on The Great War for Civilisation - The Conquest of the Middle East by Robert Fisk. It's an almost intimidatingly weighty tome, and I'm not reading it daily so it could be a while before I finish. Thankfully, I don't think it's the type of book that has to be read to the exclusion of others.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
              Just started the artemus fowl series of books i need something to fill the harry potter void now its done & dusted.
              Artemis Fowl is a great series of books. "The Arctic Incident" is my favourite. I actually prefered them to the boy Potter

Comment

2/3 of the way through Whit by Iain Banks. Looking forward to his new Iain M. Banks book (sci-fi side) too. Also reading "Finding Sanctuary: Monastic Steps for Everyday Life", which is an interesting read on chilling out, with barely any religious sections for those that are scrared by that stuff.

Comment

Just started 'The Dreaming Void' by Peter F. Hamilton.. Linked to some of his other books, and is the first in a new trilogy. Seems alright so far.

Comment

As usual I'm working through about three at the moment. No, make that four.
                    Karate-do: My way of Life by Gichin Funakoshi
                    The Year of Our War by Steph Swainston
                    Papa La Bas by John Dickson-Carr
                    and finally Shotokan's Secret by Bruce Clayton.

The non-fiction are winning in the fight for my reading-time at the moment, and both are really interesting.

Comment

Im half way through Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch, another fantastic book by a great new writer.

Comment

Originally posted by babs View Post
                        As usual I'm working through about three at the moment. No, make that four.
                        I can't do that, especially with novels.

Comment

Time to breathe some life into this thread.

I'm currently half way through Magic Kingdom For Sale/Sold! by Terry Brooks which I'm really enjoying. I'm not the hugest fan of the fantasy genre, but I've enjoyed his Armageddon's Children & The Elves of Cintra novels, so I thought that I'd give The Magic Kingdom of Landover series a try. I usually read US Crime Fiction & love novels by David Baldacci, James Patterson, Michael Connelly & Lee Child, but it's nice to change the genre every now & again.

Comment

Instead of living literally 3 minutes from work I now commute, which is an hour on the train.

Major book reading time!

Read Disney War, which covers the transition period from when Michael Eisner joined Disney. Far from being a boring corporation struggle, great insight into the company and how individuals shaped the changes in that period. Well worth a read.

Just finished Round Ireland With a Fridge by Tony Hawks (the English comedian, not the skateboarder). Good travel yarn with a fair number of life experience tips hidden away in the text.

Comment

I'm reading:

Making Money by Terry Pratchett - I read this at lunch while at work and it's really good, can't wait until lunch each day.

Harsh cry of the Heron by Lian Hern - The sequel to the Otori trilogy. My bed time book. Great to be re-united with so may familiar characters although it all looks like its going to end badly for almost everyone.

Comment

I'm working through Hyperion by Dan Simmons, having picked it up cheaply when out Christmas shopping. I'm really enjoying it, it's so much more interesting and gripping than most other SF I've read.

Comment

Working...
                                X