No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just finshed the least of Necroscope series. great stuff.

At this minute i'm reading particular sections of Biochemistry by Horton. I hate exams.

Don't think i'll get myself another book just quite yet.

Watchmen comic and Vampire World series by Brian Lumley are on the future purchases list.

Comment

Have you read The Watchmen yet?

Comment

Just finished reading Michael Crichton's Prey, about rogue nanobots. Pretty average IMO. All Crichton books are the same: New technology, Humans go to far, Joe Sixpack has to fix it, lesson not learnt, cue sequel. But its still quite an entertaining read, like a popcorn blockbuster.

Comment

Look I just finished reading This Town Will Never Let us Go by Lawrence Miles. Just take it as read anybody with any modicum of intelligence should buy this book now. Then tell their friends to buy this book.

Basically its a brand new series of books called Faction Paradox printed by Madnorwegian press. Now amazon.com sell them but Amazon.co.uk dont. You can also buy it direct from Madnorwegian.com. They also ship to the UK.

If you like Alan Moore, Grant Morrison, Jeff Noon you will adore this book. IMO he's a better writer than all of them.

Look just buy it and dont be scared in case you think theres a lot of back reading to do yes he has written other books, but this is a perfect jumping on point as is the comic published by IMAGE. LOOK JUST READ THIS BOOK

Comment

Originally posted by JRMacumber
            Have you read The Watchmen yet?
            Not yet, i'm weighing up which to get, the original comic set or the graphic novel. My local comic bloke is ordering in the graphic novel, so i'll compare the quality of that to the very nice looking comics.

?30 for the comics, is a bit much. But the graphic novel is cheapr at ?20.

I'll wait till it turns up and exams are over. 2 weeks left.

Comment

Finished that John simpson book orderd some more through to keep me busy for the next few weeks. And this one i look forward to startin some time tonight

"An examination of the worldwide hip-hop phenomenon. From the capitalist madness of Tokyo to the violence of Johannesburg, Patrick Neate explores how the potent symbolism of black America has been acquired, used and subsumed by cultures on every continent to create a different form of globalism. "

Read a review for this in the observer a while back finnaly got it

Comment

Just finishing off Koushun Takami's Battle Royale
                (first book i've read for years^^*)

.bikutaa

Comment

Just finished an intriguing book called "When I Was Five I Killed Myself" by Howard Buten.

It's about an eight year old boy put in a children's home for allegedly being sociopathic and 'harming' one of his female classmates.

It's told entirely from his POV and written how a child would speak and think (making it quite charming). You find out the kid is actually very intelligent, imaginative, sensititve and -most of all- completely misunderstood.

The book teases you by not letting on about what he's supposed to have done until the end. It's a charming book, but also qutie sad. You really feel sorry for him.

Books written in the first person are the most engrossing IMO.

Comment

After intending to get it for about 3 years now, I finally got a hardback copy of House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski and I've been struggling to put it down since.

Not the sort of book I'd normally read at all (I guess the most basic description for it is horror), but it's fantastic IMO. Check out http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...609764-0830025

Comment

Currently, I am reading a book called 'Racing the Silver Arrows' by Chris Nixon.

It's a book written regarding the period 1934 - 1939 in Grand Prix racing, and the rise of the German teams Auto Union and Mercedes with backing from Hitler's government.

Real eye-opener too - the power of the cars and how unsafe everything was really makes you realise how amazingly brave the drivers were back then.

Comment

At work I've been trying to read King's "Dreamcatcher," but I just cannot get into it at all. I'm struggling to get through every page of it. I don't want to put it down as I'm a big King fan, but I might end up having to.

But, on the other end of that, I'm loving his short story collection "Everything's Eventual". Real top-notch stories there, and I'd forgotten how much fun short story reading could be.

At home I'm reading Heinlein's "I Will Fear No Evil." It's about a rich old man who doesn't want to die, so he contracts to have his brain transplanted into a willing donor, who ends up being - unbeknownst to him - his very young and very female secretary Eunice. And, to complicate matters even more, just because she died doesn't mean her spirit left her body, and so both of them are inside her body. Really really good stuff, and there's plenty of food for thought.

Comment

I am reading Van Vogt's Pawns of Null-A its spectaulary different with concepts and ideas I've never thought about. Nice'n'short for train journies, too good and long a book and I end up in Inverness.

Comment

I am picking my way through Sunshine on Putty, The Golden Age of British Comedy from Vic Reeves to The Office. It's by Ben Thompson and it's ok if a little too much like someones university dissertaion in places. By that I mean too clever for its own good and too many big words.

Comment

After finishing the wonderful "His Dark Materials" trilogy by Pullman in the middle of January I decided to go for something a little different.

After watching the movie, I opted for "Virgin Suicides" by Jeffrey Eugenides. The film kept fairly faithful to the book so there wasn't many surprises for me but it was still an interesting read. I thought the section with the radio was described much better in the book than portayed in the film, but overall both were as good as one another.
                              Really enjoyed it actually.

I'm currently working through a collection of Gorge Orwell books in one novel.
                              It's Animal Farm (damn those pigs are corrupt ) at the moment but I'll be on the highly regarded 1984 by the end of the week I think.

Comment

Neal Stephenson - Quicksilver

It's another wild ride full of very colourful characters, many 'related' to those in Cryptonomicon.

Comment

Working...
                                X