No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never heard of it. Sounds like a kung fu flick?

Comment

It is an extremely odd flick, yes!

There's a trailer on youtube iirc.

I often wonder about ancient knowledge and whatnot. I remember seeing a programme ages ago about somewhere in the Middle East, where it was almost impossible to get a good crop. Some old records described lush fields of crops thousands of years ago using incredible, yet isolated, agricultural methods. These methods were lost, and subsequent inhabitants could barely grow a seed.

Comment

Yeah, things like that make you wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by sharky_ob View Post
          It's Surface Detail, and I have just started reading it as well. Love Matter, Consider Phlebas and Look to Windward so I'm sure I'm gonna love this too.
          Indeed it is....teach me to post whilst drunk!!

Comment

Just finished reading Cormac McCarthy's 'The Road'.

Hardly an uplifiting book to sit through, and, at times, I got a little bored with incessant descriptions of how bleak the whole landscape was.

Saying that, I was desperate to see how it ended because I felt for both father and son (tho' being a father myself, it probably excerbated the feeling).

Wouldn't mind catching it on DVD to see how well it fared under the hands of Hollywood.

Comment

am I the only person that everytime they see this thread appear, wants to come in here and non-constructively say " This thread/ This forum" ?

Probably

Comment

This thread?

Bollocks, evilboris beat me too it!

Drink always slows me down! Grrrr

Comment

Just got round to reading my first book!

Eventually after a 30 year gap when my school said I couldn't buy it because it was too 'adult' I bought and have read The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

It might become a habit

Comment

Im currently powering through the walking dead hardback volumes. got book 5 for this weekend. loving them.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoppy2000 View Post
                      Im currently powering through the walking dead hardback volumes. got book 5 for this weekend. loving them.
                      I myself have just finished Volume 2.

I'm hoping to get Vol. 3 around Easter time.

Prior to that, I'll re-read Vol 1&2 to get me back in the mood for more head chopping zombie japes!

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tosser View Post
                        Just got round to reading my first book!

Eventually after a 30 year gap when my school said I couldn't buy it because it was too 'adult' I bought and have read The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

It might become a habit
                        Just the first one or all five? Either way, nice choice.

I need to read more. Gah.

Comment

I've been reading the Scott Pilgrim books. It's quite amazing just how much better the books are than the film and they pretty much highlight everything that was wrong for me in the movie. The books are funny, full of character and almost everyone in it is really likeable.

I found the third book to be a bit of a mess, like he had lost his way and wasn't sure what story he was telling but he was back on track in the fourth book. I'm now towards the end of the fifth and don't want it to end. Really good comic book.

Comment

I haven't read it for a while so... S. M. Stirling's The Emberverse 01 - Dies the Fire. It's a brilliant book, the first of a series.

It's about what happens when all electricty and combustion engines and gun powder stops working.

I'm sctually listening to the audiobook at work as I work nights and they don't mind if I have a headphone in. It's a great way to pass the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Grover View Post
                              I myself have just finished Volume 2.

I'm hoping to get Vol. 3 around Easter time.

Prior to that, I'll re-read Vol 1&2 to get me back in the mood for more head chopping zombie japes!
                              Book 3 is awesome, Book 4 is also really good. I can't really say anymore without wanting to bust out some serious spoilers.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Grover View Post
                                Just finished reading Cormac McCarthy's 'The Road'.

Hardly an uplifiting book to sit through, and, at times, I got a little bored with incessant descriptions of how bleak the whole landscape was.

Saying that, I was desperate to see how it ended because I felt for both father and son (tho' being a father myself, it probably excerbated the feeling).

Wouldn't mind catching it on DVD to see how well it fared under the hands of Hollywood.
                                Not very well. The boy is completely miscast and it lacks the impact of the book. Looks good though.

Comment

Working...
                                X