No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cisco CCNA 1&2. only read a tiny part of it so far. luckily, i enjoy the subject matter, so it's fine

Comment

The Last Samurai: The Life and Battles of Saigo Takamori

Moorcock: An Alien Heat

Viz Issue 133

Comment

For my english A level exams i have just read these american literature texts.

The color purple by Alice walker - An excellent book about feminist issues during a time of arising independence for black people. The book allows much more detail than the fantatsic film does due to time limitations.

A streetcar named desire by Tenesse williams- An excellent book about how desire and emotions can demote peoples lives to their primary urges.It made an awesome film with Marlon Brando playing stanley's complex character excellently

The crucible by Arthur Miller - A play about the witchhunt trials in salem and the paranoia of the puritan age juxtaposed by millers own experience of Mcarthyism. Film also very recommended with superb performances from daniel day lewis and other cast members.

Beloved by Toni Morisson - Another feminist/slavery book dealing with the desire for freedom and liasing with the supernatural aspects of life.

A view from the bridge by Arthur Miller - A brilliant play about the inner conflicts of eddie carbone and the quintessential elements of the greek tragedy. A great play only superceeded by Death of a salesman

For the other aspects of my english course i have had to read

The collection of Samuel Taylor Coleridge - A book of poems which relate to the spirituality of life. Initially quite boring and idealistic pantheism begins to grate although later poems such as limbo question the nature of existence and are truly compelling.

The Dubliners by James Joyce - A fantastic collection of small tales of life in ireland at the turn of the 19th century. Joyce shows amazing characterisation here and gives the reader a true insight into the characters.

In my own time ive also been reading a lot of graphic novels and have recently finished the preacher series which is absolutely fantastic and does not come recommended highly enough. It features everything that you could want in a story with superbly written plot twists and storyline and an absolute sickening amount of black humour that is instantly quotable.
        Now to fill the void im going to start reading Watchmen when it finaly arrives as i have been waiting for this for ages and then i will probably move on to continuing Hellblazer and starting The league of extrodinary gentlemen as well as the sandman comics.

Comment

It was last year sometime, but God Of Small Things , by Arundhati Roy, sticks out in my mind as an excellent book. The writing is probably the best I've ever read, so smooth and surprising. Story isn't that amazing, but the amusing writing style pulls it through just fine. Highly recommended.

About a week or so ago I finished Michael Moore's Stupid White Men, which was alright, but nothing special. I loved Bowling, but this book lacked focus and tried to deal with far too much. As said earlier in this thread, his books are just endless stats and by the end it becomes quite tiring and dull. Quite funny in places, but it deals with so many subjects he never really settles down into his trademark amusing style. Average, I thought.

The other day I finished Yann Martel's Life of Pi, which was excellent. The story of a boy living on a lifeboat with a tiger, hyena, zebra and orang-utan is very original and very well told. For some reason I expected this to be quite a light hearted book, but it is surprisingly realistic and detailed. It can be funny, but the best side of the book is how observent and detailed it can be. Great ending, I thought. Excellent book, highly recommended.

Next up is Vernon God Little, last years winner of the Booker Prize (Life of Pi and God of all small things also won in previous years). It's the first book by DBC Pierre, so I don't really know what to expect...

Not sure what to read after I'm done with that, possibly Eats, Shoots & Leaves for something a bit different

Comment

Just finished reading Jennifer Government by Max Barry, an excellent comment on consumerism and the impact of multinational corporations.

It's set a little into the future in a world where everything is priviatised (including the Police and government bodies) and where people change their surnames to that of their company out of loyalty.

The way Barry weaves the story's many characters into the main plot is exemplary. There's so much going on and lots of ironic coincidences.

The scariest thing about the book is that you can actually see it coming true..

Comment

I've just finished reading "The Subtle Knife" By Phillip Pullman, and have just started the next book from that, "The Amber Spyglass". I love his books and have read them over and over again

Comment

Chuck Palahniuk's Fight Club. I love David Fincher's film. Think the narrator's voice of the movie telling you the whole story, as if you're reading the thoughts that race his mind. Fantastic, I wonder how his other books are.

Comment

Originally posted by FFCutie
                  I've just finished reading "The Subtle Knife" By Phillip Pullman
                  ive been putting off reading this since christmas (havent got the first part y'see). Looked a bit too LOTR from the blurb on the back. Is it worth me getting the first one?

Comment

Originally posted by chevkoch
                    Chuck Palahniuk's Fight Club. I love David Fincher's film. Think the narrator's voice of the movie telling you the whole story, as if you're reading the thoughts that race his mind. Fantastic, I wonder how his other books are.
                    They are all well worth getting but Lullaby is especially good.

I have just started Diary which seems,from the first 20 odd pages,to be in the same style as Lullaby.Both these books are more surreal than Fight Club.

I am also reading 'Tales from Development Hell' by David Hughes which is a real insight into how films are made and screwed up.Each chapter concerns a film,and the chapter on Total Recall has to be read to be believed.

Well worth tracking down,but too damn expensive (I paid ?16.99!!)

Comment

Originally posted by kimenon69
                      Originally posted by FFCutie
                      I've just finished reading "The Subtle Knife" By Phillip Pullman
                      ive been putting off reading this since christmas (havent got the first part y'see). Looked a bit too LOTR from the blurb on the back. Is it worth me getting the first one?
                      Absolutely.
                      The 1st book brings you key characters like Iorek and the Gyptians that aren't in the 2nd book but turn up in the 3rd. It isn't as challenging as the 2nd or 3rd books, with the "dust" theories simply not developed in it and it only takes place in one "world", however it is an integral part of a brilliant trilogy.
                      I got this paperback trilogy and it is lovely.
                      Also it is nothing like LOTR. Whilst both are fiction, that is where their similarities end. Pullmans work is aimed at children but the concepts behind dust and the underlying themes make it an excellent read for an adult too.

Personally I've just read Animal farm and 1984 by Orwell. Both were brilliant reads, 1984 in particular. Both really got me thinking, and whilst I didn't entirely understand the section on Goldsteins theologies from 1984 it was still a cracking book. Currently 3/4 of the way through Huxley's "A Brave New World", which I'm finding is fairly Orwellish in the way the state is running things. Quite a good read, not got me as hooked as 1984 did though.

Comment

Originally posted by chevkoch
                        His best books are Survivor and Lullaby. The latter in particular has some very dark humour that is written brilliantly. Survivor has a neat gimmick, the pages are numbered back the way, meaning you start from page 200 odd and work your way to one. Diary is alright, his writing style carries the book through what is quite a weak story though.

I have a signed copy of Diary

Comment

Follet - The Pillars of Earth. - Just finished

Started Life if Pi today.

Comment

Let me know what you think of Life of Pi, Sigur

Comment

Good so far.

I must be subconsciously picking up books which have religion as a central theme. Pillars of Earth revolved around religion and the church mostly.

Comment

Re-reading lots of Roald Dahl at the moment, just going through Kiss Kiss. Excellent short stories, I get to read one on the way to work and one on the way home.

Comment

Working...
                                X