No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right now I'm working my way through my collection of Hellboy Graphic Novels all over again

Not highbrow but still :-

Comment

Just finished From A Buick 8 by Stephen King.

I am about to start another book by King, On Writing.

Comment

Read Vernon God Little last week which was cool (but had too many endings).

I'm halfway through Snow Crash after having it sat on my shelf for years, which is a very, very good book indeed.

Comment

Snow Crash Brilliant book. Have you read Cryptonomicon? If you haven't pick it up asap. Imo its Stephensons best book.

I'm currently reading the William Gibson/Bruce Sterling book The Difference Engine. First read it about 10 years ago and re-reading it now i'm reminded of how good it is. Recommended.

Also reading the Alias (not the TV show btw) comic book in TPB format. Written by Brian Michael Bendis. Again recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by PH
            Have you read Cryptonomicon?
            Read bits of it yeah, another good book.

Originally posted by PH
            I'm currently reading the William Gibson/Bruce Sterling book The Difference Engine. First read it about 10 years ago and re-reading it now i'm reminded of how good it is. Recommended.
            Ah yes, now that is a truly great book, I read that about 10 years ago too. The warehouse shoot out is a bag of ****e though.

Originally posted by PH
            Also reading the Alias (not the TV show btw) comic book in TPB format. Written by Brian Michael Bendis. Again recommended.
            I like Bendis' Spiderman stuff, but hes getting predictable now...

Comment

I wouldn't know if Bendis is getting predictable. I'm not a massive comic book reader and this is the first Bendis title i've read. All i can say is i'm enjoying it. Have you read any of his other titles? A couple of people have recommended the Powers TPBs to me.

Comment

I was thinking more of his Super Hero work getting predictable, he writes so much of it. His Daredevil stuff is good though.

I haven't read Powers, but a couple of friends are big fans.

Speaking of Bruce Sterling, have you read the Hacker Crackdown? Its my favourite of the 'famous' hacker books out there, a good story well told.

Comment

Just bought "The Dark Tower : The Gunslinger" today. Been told it is a quality series so far, so i will give it a go

Comment

Ive just read gamesTM and now im readin phillip pullmans dark materials triolgy

Comment

RobRoy, The Gunslinger is very atmospheric, as far as I remember. I stopped following the Dark Tower series, since the subsequent books just didn't offer the same dark, moody feel (probably partly because the lonesome figure design was abandoned due to the introduction of companions).

Comment

Originally posted by squireboy2003
                        now im readin phillip pullmans dark materials triolgy
                        yay yay, best books Evar!!!

Comment

The dark materials really are amazing...

Currently im reading the last days of socrates by plato.

great book!

Comment

Harry potter & the order of the phoenix.

To be honest thats the only series of books i have read in a long while, I can't get enough of the amazing world JK Rowling has created.

Comment

Originally posted by chevkoch
                              RobRoy, The Gunslinger is very atmospheric, as far as I remember. I stopped following the Dark Tower series, since the subsequent books just didn't offer the same dark, moody feel (probably partly because the lonesome figure design was abandoned due to the introduction of companions).
                              Yeah, the introduction of companions did change the dynamic, but I think it did so in a good way, at least for me. I don't know if I could have read seven books all about one man, especially having to go through everything that he's had to go through. He needs his ka-tet, and they need him. None of them could have done it alone.

Chevkoch, you're fortunate that you're starting now, as the final two books in the series are being released this year. Book 6, Song of Susannah, is getting published (at least in the US) in June, and I believe Book 7, The Dark Tower, is getting released in September. Just make sure that you got the new edition of The Gunslinger, and not the old, as a few changes and additions were put into the new one.

Anyway, I'm a huge Dark Tower fan, and feel it's probably the most incredible fantasy series released in decades, and certainly the most original. No elves or dwarves here, but there is a dark wizard or two, and some robots, and some gunslingers too. Yep, it has it all, and better than I think anyone else could have done it. The only author to come close to this, for me, is Moorcock with his Eternal Champion series.

Comment

Maybe I should pick it up again. I just recall reading until book 2 or 3 and being disappointed by the happenings that were in such sharp contrast to the atmosphere in The Gunslinger. But I'd definitely like to read that book one again.

Comment

Working...
                                X