What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    As ever, I have more books/films/games/shows to get through than time available for them.
    I've just watched the film About Time where Bill Nighy's character can go back in time.
    He uses his ability to read everything which I thought was classic

I'd be interested in what you think of the books QC.

Comment

The Inimitable Jeeves - PG Wodehouse.

A roaring beezer of a wheeze, you blighters.

Comment

About to start Moon by James Herbert. I normally read teenage books that are entertaining and easy to read.

Comment

Born To Run

Absolutely amazing read. Full of crazy people doing crazy things. So much mystery and intrigue for a real story.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

Is anybody else here on Goodreads?
            I am on good reads, reading a lot of fantasy stuff at the moment.

Currenly reading
            The Riyria Revelations series by Michael J Sullivan, finding it really good, got through the first two books in no time at all.

There is a free short available here http://riyria.blogspot.co.uk/p/free-stuff.html which is set before the trilogy if anyone is interested.

Comment

Finished Doctor Sleep last night. Great book.

Comment

Just finished Chris Hadfield's book. A very interesting look at what it takes to get to and live in space. It's not very meaty and I imagine he probably toyed with the idea of doing a full-on autobiography (which this really isn't in the sense that it skips over so much and stories aren't always chronological) but that makes for a very easy read with enough insight into the thought processes to get me thinking about how some of their systems apply to my life. And that's kind of the point of the book - many things astronauts are taught to do are very different from how we are taught to do things. I enjoyed it.

Also finally finished the Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. A real chore. I don't think I have it in me to commit to the last chronicles. At least not any time soon.

Morrissey's book next.

Comment

One of my favourite authors, Matthew Reilly, is doing a short promotional tour of the UK:
                  GLASGOW – 29 January, 6pm, Waterstones Glasgow-
                  EDINBURGH – 30 January, 2.30pm, Blackhall Library-
                  BIRMINGHAM – 31 January, 7pm, The Rep Theatre, Birmingham-
                  MANCHESTER – 1 February, 1pm, Waterstones Manchester

He's just written The Tournament, which is a departure from his usual style, but I'm looking forward to hearing him reading extracts from it.

He usually writes straight-up action films in book form. It would be easy to dismiss them as "simplistic" or "unsophisticated", but they're absolutely fantastic, thrilling fun and give me and the many readers of them a lot of joy.

It's his books (Contest) that started me reading as an adult, so I'm eternally grateful for that!

Tragically, whilst he was away on his last book tour, his wife committed suicide. I don't know how you carry on from something like that, so big respect to the guy.

Comment

I'm thoroughly enjoying Morrissey's autobiography. He skips over huge chunks of history that would be interesting and instead writes pages upon pages on why certain people are rubbish and yet he's incredibly entertaining. He spends a huge amount of it tearing into a court ruling about Smiths royalties and also goes to lengths to defend against the accusations of racism - in a way, in spite of some moronic things he has said, he has me convinced. Some of the most amusing lines are about people eating meat - I'm a meat eater but can't help smile (and sometimes grimace) at the way he describes it.

A fun romp and very much what you'd expect if you ever listened to his lyrics.

Comment

Finished the second Game of Thrones book. Turned me into a obsessive reader again. Jonesing for the rest of them now.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                        Born To Run

Absolutely amazing read. Full of crazy people doing crazy things. So much mystery and intrigue for a real story.
                        That was so good.

Now I'm on to Bradley Wiggins' book "My Time"

Comment

Parasite (Parasitology, #1)
                          By Mira Grant.
                          My word, this is slow to get going. 25% in and it's hardly gone anywhere!
                          Girl nearly dies in a car crash, but the experimental tape worm in her repairs her but she loses her memory.
                          People are starting to go a bit mental. Is it because they too have worms?

The Dark Tourist
                          Dom Joly's tour of places you normally wouldn't go to. Sunnier climes like erm... North Korea.

Tripwire (Jack Reacher, #3)
                          Reacher's in town and some criminal punks are gonna get their necks snapped fo sho.

Replay
                          A story that's supposed to have inspired Groundhog Day.
                          A man dies and goes back into his body as an 18-year-old, but with all his memories.

Gray Justice
                          An ex-SAS soldier's wife and child are killed by a career criminal. The law doesn't sort it, so it's time to dish out his own form of justice...

It's a bit confusing flitting between all these books, mind you!

Comment

I'm reading Ready Player One. It's good.

Comment

So I finished Ready Player One and loved it. Why no sequel? Where's the movie? Actually a movie would be a copyright clearance nightmare but I'm sure it could be done. Would be a great movie if made well.

Deliberately going back for more Thomas Covenant books to sort my current insomnia.

Comment

Audio CD: Listening for Success by Steve Shapiro.
                                Brilliant and a little uncomfortable when the truth hits home

Wiggins' book is dragging on a bit - he's even more of a detail person than me and I'm a cyclist.

Comment

Working...
                                X