No announcement yet.

Sweet Sensations: The Soda and Snacks Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolutely gonna source a pack of those. I am a superfan of cheese flavoured snacks.

Saying that I don't remember a Hard Cheese flavour of Nick Naks, only the Cream n Cheesy which were never that good (all about Nice n Spicy, followed by Rib n Saucy).

Incidentally, you don't get as many things replacing 'and' with 'n' these days. That has fallen out of favour.

Comment

Chas 'n' Dave, for example. Or just Dave as they're known these days.

Comment

Wotsits Crunchy Flamin' Hot

Again, Nik Naks style crunchy sticks, but these do taste quite like the regular Wotsits Flamin' Hot, a little less sweet, a tiny bit more of a kick. Decent, just not the wow I was hoping for. I'll munch a second pack for testing purposes of course.

Can't help thinking that Monster Munch Flamin' Hot flavour Nik Naks would be better.

Comment

I agree. Tried these last week and expected a bit more tbh. Enjoyable enough, but nothing special at all. Plus, it's probably just all the dust, crumbs and leftover ****e from when they make proper Wotsits compacted and dowsed in flavouring.

Comment

Fairly pedestrian by this thread's standards, but I might have developed a thing for prawn cocktail flavour Quavers.

Comment

It might only be in naff Zero form and have undergone a name change but the local co-op had it in:

Starlight by Neon Ignition, on Flickr
              Last edited by Neon Ignition; 29-04-2022, 10:30.

Comment

PLANETARY

Comment

Coca-Cola Zero: Intergalactic Limited Edition
                  So, the intended taste is definitely to make something sweeter where the taste of Coke itself isn't as prominent. It's hard to pinpoint the nature of the kind of sweetness they've gone for, whether it's along the light of cotton candyesque. But, as is always the way, the Zero nature of the drink utterly spoils the drink and the chemicalised taste of sugars replacement overpowers much of the experience because the UK nanny state has made releasing the normal version of the drink more offensive than buying alcohol. Could have been much, much nicer than it is.
                  3/5 Milkshakes

Comment

Walkers Sensations Limited Edition Baked Cheese and Honey

Opened the bag hoping for a nasal symphony of joy. Was hit by the smell of warm potato. Then the cheese aroma arrived. Three day worn crusty socks with an odious undertone of pungent toejam tang. Tasted even worse. Even the slight not-tasting-like-honey-whatsoever sweetness had a vomit hint to it. Only the second bag of crisps / related snacks that I can recall binning before finishing (long before). Disgusting.

-1/5

(There was a Roast Pork and Apply WSLE too...I will not be trying those!)

Comment

I love the cinnamon Jelly Belly beans.
                      Any other good cinnamon sweets around?
                      I didn't even spot any in America (although I didn't look particularly hard).

Comment

My partner doesn't generally like sweets and never eats them, but is a complete addict of those cinnamon Jelly Bellys. There is a concession in Selfridge's where you can fill a paper bag with nothing but cinnamon flavour that she has to be kept away from!

Her other poison is cinnamon Altoids, which I believe you can only officially get in America (or, presumably, in the fifty million American sweet shops that now seem to have sprung up everywhere for some reason).

Be warned though. She once ate so many of the latter at once that she gave the inside of her mouth some sort of temporary chemical burn they're really acidic.

EDIT:

Drank a Mountain Dew yesterday. I remember years ago you couldn't get this in the UK and I drank gallons of it while on holiday in America and really liked it.

Anyway I gave it another try yesterday and I didn't like it. A cloying flavour.

Maybe my tastes are changing

Comment

Mountain Dew is bloody weird, it tastes like a mixture of discount shop lemonade and that weird powder mix stuff you drink in case of dehydration.

Comment

It really does.

Comment

Mars: Raspberry Smash Edition
                              A typical Mars bar with raspberry flavoured pink nougat. Mars can be pretty sickly bars which pits this at an immediate disadvantage but shock and awe it's actually really nice.
                              4/5 Milkshakes

Comment

Got a notification from Deliveroo this morning that a Popeyes delivery kitchen had opened up near me, so promptly jumped on it for lunch

So my history with Popeyes is that I've been wanting to try their famous chicken sandwich for years, ever since all the hype around it kicked off in ~2019.

That year I happened to be visiting a friend in SF and made the trek to a branch specifically to try it, only to find it sold out. I just had the regular chicken instead (which is more or less like any other chicken shop food and nothing special).

I listen to the Dough Boys fast food/comedy podcast (highly recommended btw) and they periodically talk about it and that's kept the anticipation up. I've been wanting to try it even more ever since.

And then finally we got a Popeyes in London, in the Stratford Westfield, a few months back. Except I haven't been, for two reasons.

1) I hate the Westfield
                                2) See 1)

With all that said, when this notification popped up today, it was a very nice surprise.

So. I tried it. I literally just finished eating it. I got the regular chicken sandwich, not the deluxe, not the spicy, just the straight-down-the-line version.

And you know what? It rocks. It's a ****ing great chicken sandwich. I never thought I would say this but it absolutely lives up to the hype. It is absolutely a much better chicken sandwich than a KFC Fillet or Zinger, and it also knocks my preferred local posh independent chicken shop off its perch. Deserving of its reputation and highly recommended.
                                Last edited by wakka; 10-06-2022, 14:24.

Comment

Working...
                                X