No announcement yet.

Sweet Sensations: The Soda and Snacks Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's very faint but it'll probably also turn out to be something completely different
    I've got but not tried Bar 02 yet

Comment

New

I'm on it

Comment

I saw this at lunch and thought of this thread.

Comment

Anybody who thinks that A&W Root Beer, KA and Shandy Bass (ROFLMAO) are god-tier drinks is in dire, dire need of an intervention.

Comment

It's an inverted list right?

I do like Shandy, not sure Barr beats Ben Shawe's though

That Irn Bru glass bottle is effectively a lie of a product, tastes almost identical to the usual stuff which is okay but not what it once was. Ginger Beer shouldn't even be on the list at all

Curiosity Cola tastes awful compared to Pepsi which is the king of UK Cokes barring only Cherry Coke

So much wrong there.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post

I do like Shandy
              Paulaner Lemon Radler smacks the absolute **** out of Shandy Bass. In fact, any half-decent citrus radler that you can find is miles superior.
              Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 15-08-2022, 14:09.

Comment

I've never seen that one, canned Shandy always seems to be weirdly hard to find these days especially any that is remotely halfway decent

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                  I've never seen that one, canned Shandy always seems to be weirdly hard to find these days especially any that is remotely halfway decent
                  Radlers definitely aren't hard to find. You should probably try improving how you look for them.

Comment

If it's typically stored in the alcohol section that would definitely explain why I don't spot it

Comment

This might make me a 'normie' but I'd take a standard Diet Coke over the Curiosity Cola, Karma Cola, or probably any other fancy version of things. Schweppes over R Whites on the lemonade front for me too, and whereas I'm not super big into root beer, I do however seek out new and unusual variants of Cream Soda like a bloodhound.

Comment

I really like cola generally and I do like Curiosity Cola and Karma Cola. The latter in particular is very flavoursome, although I find it way too expensive to buy regularly.

However my new thing is Nigerian Coke. This is proper Coca Cola, manufactured and bottled in Nigeria for the Nigerian market.

You can get it on import in a few shops round my area, it comes in glass bottles that look like this:

Honestly this stuff is delicious. It's less carbonated than UK Coke and tastes a bit richer and more syrupy too.

I wondered why this was so I googled it. There isn't a lot of information out there, but this Quora post is pretty revealing if you take it at face value (and I have no reason not to):

Originally posted by Quora post
                        This is true. Nigerian coca cola tastes thicker and sweeter then elsewhere, not only US.Sometimes when returning from the Nigeria, Nigerians ask me to buy some and bring it to the UK.
                        Some Nigerian owned shops in London do get a supply from time to time.
                        This is the legend why it is so. It was told to me as a child over four decades ago by an employee of the Nigerian bottling company.
                        When coke first entered into Nigerian market, they got the percentage of the imported concentrate to be diluted wrong. As a result the Coca cola concentrate was twice what it should be. Hence sweeter, thicker and richer tasting.
                        When the mistake was noticed, they corrected the percentage making it like everywhere else. To the Nigerian it tasted now watery.
                        No one cheats the Nigerian!!
                        We stopped drinking.
                        So to maintain sales, they returned to the double concentrate formula.
                        I think there is some truth in it. Because over the years a “new" tasting coke keeps trying to pop up. Each time Nigerians reject it, and in a couple of mouths it is back to old coke.
                        It also became a benchmark. As even Pepsi and other Cola drinks are richer tasting in Nigeria too.
                        Thanks for this question, because when I tell the British, Americans and even Russians that in Nigeria the Coca cola tastes better. They look at each other and smile as if I am telling fibs.

Original post here.

Highly recommended if you can find a bottle. Identification tip: on the bottle cap, underneath the Coca Cola logo there is a very small symbol of a heart with Nigerian green and white flag colours.

EDIT:

Also fuse you are a massive normie for choosing Diet Coke over any kind of cola filled with delicious cane sugar

Last edited by wakka; 15-08-2022, 15:33.

Comment

I still don't get how anyone can stomach the diet cokes, the chemical sweetener taste kills it every time.

I missed it but apparently Coca Cola World in Vegas, which is basically just a Cola shop, used to have fountains in it where you could sample Coca Cola from around the world with every major market having its own bespoke recipe to appeal to the locals. The UK fountain gave out Lilt instead as it is only available in the UK, Gibraltar and the Seychelles despite how its marketed to us.

It's just been a bog standard merchandise shop for years now though

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                            I'm surprised to hear that Dave, as my fave choc bar is Dutch. It's Tony's Chocolonely - they do loads of varieties but their dark chocolate is my go-to.
                            I'm not a fan at all, but have you been to the shop in Amsterdam just off the Damrak? Upon entry you're immediately faced with a wall of levers, each dispensing samples of their entire range. I always come out of there feeling very, very ill.

Comment

No, I haven't, I only discovered the brand quite recently when it began to be widely stocked in the UK. I like the sound of that shop though!

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                                I really like cola generally and I do like Curiosity Cola and Karma Cola. The latter in particular is very flavoursome, although I find it way too expensive to buy regularly.

However my new thing is Nigerian Coke. This is proper Coca Cola, manufactured and bottled in Nigeria for the Nigerian market.

You can get it on import in a few shops round my area, it comes in glass bottles that look like this:

Honestly this stuff is delicious. It's less carbonated than UK Coke and tastes a bit richer and more syrupy too.

I wondered why this was so I googled it. There isn't a lot of information out there, but this Quora post is pretty revealing if you take it at face value (and I have no reason not to):

Original post here.

Highly recommended if you can find a bottle. Identification tip: on the bottle cap, underneath the Coca Cola logo there is a very small symbol of a heart with Nigerian green and white flag colours.

EDIT:

Also fuse you are a massive normie for choosing Diet Coke over any kind of cola filled with delicious cane sugar

I'm pretty sure Mexican coke is the same. I was introduced to it during my work trip to LA a few years back. I can get bottles of it from town here, but at €2.50 it's a rare treat.

Comment

Working...
                                X