Sweet Sensations: The Soda and Snacks Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wakka View Post
    No, I haven't, I only discovered the brand quite recently when it began to be widely stocked in the UK. I like the sound of that shop though!
    It's an amazing retail presence (and experience). Just Google Images search 'tony chocolonely amsterdam'.

Comment

Speaking of Coca-Cola, this has been my favourite for as long as I can remember:

Quite easily my all-time fave - although Dr. Pepper can sometimes sway it. It makes for great gaming fuel as well.

Comment

If I was even remotely still drinking full-sugar sodas like I used to, I would argue that US Vanilla Coca-Cola is the best Coca-Cola of them all, even though HFCS is incredibly unhealthy as we all know.

My soft drinks of choice these days tend to be either 7Up Free or Sprite Zero. Boring AF but clean and refreshing enough and just about the only no-sugar soft drinks that I can stand.
        Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 16-08-2022, 15:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
          If it's typically stored in the alcohol section that would definitely explain why I don't spot it
          If you don't drink I can respect that.

But I would say that the low-alcohol/non-alcoholic beer landscape has improved considerably in recent years to the point that craft brewers take it seriously enough (see the likes of Lervig and Mikkeller and Omnipollo) to make stuff that tastes really nice and compares favourably to the harder stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
            I'm pretty sure Mexican coke is the same. I was introduced to it during my work trip to LA a few years back. I can get bottles of it from town here, but at €2.50 it's a rare treat.
            I've heard good things about the Mexican variant before. Deffo need to give that a try. It might be available somewhere near me, I'm going to start trolling a few South American supermarkets for it!

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
              Speaking of Coca-Cola, this has been my favourite for as long as I can remember:

Quite easily my all-time fave - although Dr. Pepper can sometimes sway it. It makes for great gaming fuel as well.

100% - one of these is stocked up in the fridge atm with a couple of other things to mix it up on occasion like the Dr Pepper Vanilla Float version

I don't drink Sprite or 7Up regularly but I have it my head that of the two I lean a little more toward 7Up. When your hot and your throat is dry though either cold feels like mana cutting through you pipes. The go to in hot weather.

Shandy wise I'm going to check the drinks isle more thoroughly this week

Comment

Mexican Coke tastes more syrupy. It's a bit like the stuff from Maccy D's. Lovely with ice. That's my top tier, along with Wild Cherry Pepsi, which is better that Cherry Coke.

Comment

Yeah I found with the Nigerian Coke that you are best off pouring it over ice.

Comment

Is "Dr Pepper & Cream Soda" new? I'm not really into Dr Pepper so could have been ignoring this for years, but for some reason it caught my eye in a shop last night and I grabbed a can. It's quite nice! Not sure if it's going to be my gateway to appreciating the good doctor in his regular format, but would definitely have again.

Comment

Opened my Deliveroo yesterday to find huge, huge news - a Wendy's delivery kitchen had opened near me.

Ordered it for lunch today - Dave's Single, which is basically your standard quarter pounder with cheese, lettuce, pickles, ketchup, and mayo, regular fries, and some chicken nuggets.

Very, very nice actually. A meaty patty (square-shaped, which seems to be Wendy's thing), and nice crispy salad on top. They didn't overdo the sauce which I appreciate. Fries were skin-on and decent, crunchy and salty. And the nuggets were great, head and shoulders above McDonald's, although expensive at £4.99 for 4 small nugs. They were pretty similar to Shake Shack's nugs, actual pieces of deep fried chicken rather than McD's oddly dense, bland little chicken pucks.

I'll definitely be ordering more. Keen to try the Baconator in particular, which gives you two patties, two layers of cheese, two layers of bacon and no salad. Felt like a bit much for lunch though (says the man who just consumed ~2000 calories).

I've also heard the Spicy Chicken sandwich is supposed to be very good. And for the truly hungry among you they do offer a Dave's Triple, which is the same burger I had but with triple the beef, for a total of 0.75lb. Lol.

Amazing that I now live in a world where Wendy's and Popeye's, previously beyond reach across an ocean, can get dropped off at my door in 20 mins. Diabetes on demand!

Comment

I spotted this article yesterday and was reminded of all you sweet tooths:

Foreign Candy Puts American Candy to Shame

Comment

Tim Hortons
                          Better made than McDonalds but more expensive and doesn't taste as nice. Cheaper than Burger King but not as well made and doesn't taste as nice. The food of McDonald's with a more limited coffee menu than Starbucks (more watery too) and the donuts of Krispey Kreme (but not as nice tasting).

Literally, getting the menu's of three rivals under one roof seems to be the sole USP of Tim Horton's in the end. Tbh, I'd rather journey between the others than have the convenience of the one alternative.

Comment

I didn't even know we had Tim Horton's in the UK. North American chains have been starting UK operations at pace in the last couple of years.

Comment

There's one not too far from me (Park Royal) that I've been meaning to pay a visit to. A buddy who's been in there a few times already reports that the coffee/doughnut staples are pretty decent (though at about £3 a doughnut I'd hope so, there are some amazing locally made doughnuts at food markets for that price), but that the lunch menu is worth avoiding.

We're one step behind wakka's Wendy's dark kitchen, but we do have signage up now for a Popeye's that is due for imminent launch.

Comment

Yeah, mixed feelings about Tim Hortons. I quite like it for a coffee & doughnut but the food is pretty disappointing. Well summed up by Neon ... bit of a Jack of all trades, master of none.

Would deffo like a Wendy's to open nearby. I remember enjoying some of that action in the States.

Comment

Working...
                                X