The Scottish Referendum III: If At First You Don't Secede

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
    There’s literally nazis rampaging through Europe and you call it tory deflection bollocks? Seriously get a grip, Russia has destabilised the planet, this is an everyone problem that needs dealing with now, its not the time for “we want out because”.
    If you genuinely can't see how the Government constantly use "bUt LoOk At wHaT RusSiA aRe DoInG!!!" as constant spin and deflection for their complete and utter incompetence in power, then you're lost and you can't be helped.

Maybe you should get a grip first.

Comment

I can guarantee that Boris Johnson isn't currently sat around in some kind of Ukraine "war room" with a bunch of generals shuffling loads of miniature soldiers and tanks around like it's Command and Conquer. He might be sat around in his living room playing actual Command and Conquer though. Or climbing out of the window of some random mistress. Or lying in a puddle of his own sick surrounded by empty wine boxes.

If there was a vote on breaking up the union, it would take absolutely years for it to happen anyway. A lot would happen in that time, so there'd probably never be any right time.

Personally I don't want to break up the union because I live in northern England and I think it would lead to the government giving even less of a toss about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
        Personally I don't want to break up the union because I live in northern England and I think it would lead to the government giving even less of a toss about it.
        I honestly think in the event of the union breaking up, Northern England would at least start to campaign for more devolution for the region. Who was that MP for the home counties who said fracking was okay if it was performed in the "grim wastes up north"?

Comment

This is the beginning of the end.

UK leaves the EU.
          Scotland leaves the UK.
          Wales leaves the UK.
          UK is no longer united and rebrands and New Britannia.
          New Britannia wants a little more border, just where the port to an oilfield is.
          Blue facepaint is bought en-masse in Scotland, which isn't a cheap import by this point.
          War begins.
          Meanwhile, Buranda is unhappy with its border countries Carmolen and Avalon, leaves the UN and starts expading.
          Everybody is looking after themselves and the whole world devolves into WWII.
          Russia pushes the button.

So, please don't leave us, Scotland.
          Think of the Avalonians.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            I honestly think in the event of the union breaking up, Northern England would at least start to campaign for more devolution for the region. Who was that MP for the home counties who said fracking was okay if it was performed in the "grim wastes up north"?
            TBH, if the 2003(?) referendum for a north-west regional assembly had not resulted in a “no” vote, much of the bad crap (including Brexit) over the last decade probably wouldn’t have happened. Proper decentralisation, if not proper federalism, would have significantly narrowed gulf in inequalities between the regions of the UK, leading to less feeling of despair in the parts of the country usually ignored by Westminster governments.
            Last edited by Protocol Penguin; 25-06-2022, 11:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Protocol Penguin View Post
              TBH, if the 2003(?) referendum for a north-west regional assembly had not resulted in a “no” vote, much of the bad crap (including Brexit) over the last decade probably wouldn’t have happened. Proper decentralisation, if not proper federalism, would have significantly narrowed gulf in inequalities between the regions of the UK, leading to less feeling of despair in the parts of the country usually ignored by Westminster governments.
              Part of me thinks it might've made it worse, because I think they would still have ignored the North.

Comment

At 2.20pm today Sturgeon will make a major announcement on Scottish Independence Referendum II: Electric Boogaloo

Comment

Nicola Sturgeon seeks supreme court ruling on Scottish independence vote | Scottish independence | The Guardian
                  19 October 2023

Sturgeon begins her make or break play

Comment

UK Government argues to the Supreme Court that the next Scottish Independence Referendum should not be allowed as SNP claims it would be just advisory are wrong as any outcome in favour of independence would undoubtedly be used directly by the SNP to pursue that result

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                      https://www.theguardian.com/politics...088dc39b9bf2a5
                      UK Government argues to the Supreme Court that the next Scottish Independence Referendum should not be allowed as SNP claims it would be just advisory are wrong as any outcome in favour of independence would undoubtedly be used directly by the SNP to pursue that result
                      I mean, it is pointless to have an "advisory referendum" only a few years after they voted to stay. If it votes to Leave and isn't binding, it'll result in civil unrest. The SNP should just push for another proper referendum.

Comment

They'd be happy with civil unrest though. Because the cure for the civil unrest would be to depart.

Comment

UK ministers are considering introducing a referendum act that could wreck the campaign for Scottish independence. It would require more than half of Scotland’s

Liz Truss is said to be considering legislating that a future Scottish Independence referendum can only be held if it is evidence that over 60% of Scottish voters want another referendum

Also, that if the referendum takes place, over 50% of the entire electorate must vote in favour of independence for the outcome to go through therefore making a Pro-Independence scenario highly unlikely

Comment

That's effing outrageous. No wonder the English are hated the world over.... (I am Englidh, btw)

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                              https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/l...aign-hhnbmqjck
                              Liz Truss is said to be considering legislating that a future Scottish Independence referendum can only be held if it is evidence that over 60% of Scottish voters want another referendum

Also, that if the referendum takes place, over 50% of the entire electorate must vote in favour of independence for the outcome to go through therefore making a Pro-Independence scenario highly unlikely
                              I wish those were the brexit rules. We'd still be in the EU.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                                I wish those were the brexit rules. We'd still be in the EU.
                                That's exactly what I was thinking

Comment

Working...
                                X