No announcement yet.

World Cup 2018.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

England's main success this tournament is that they no longer illicit a depressed sigh or a half stiffled snigger in conversation anymore and after the last few decades that's a win in of itself.

In the end they can come home knowing that they got further than was expected, that they'll be welcomely received on their return, that they will carry some good will into the next major competition they enter and that they won't be disrupting my travel this weekend as everyone loses interest now in the final.

Comment

Oh well. I'll never see England get this close again in my life time.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
        We had one shot!!

One. That is laughable.
        The match proved that Southgate isn't a good manager, simply because his management tonight was appalling. Sterling was terrible in the first half, so should have been replaced straight away for the second half. Not playing Kane in a position where he could be a goal threat really weakened the team. England really lacked firepower tonight, because the players that should be getting goals were either lacking, or not in a good position to make the most of their potential.

Croatia were clearly an average team. It wasn't a case of Croatia making England look stupid. No, England, for various reasons, gave Croatia the chance to win the match and they took it. England could have easily won 2-0 or 2-1 if the manager had done a better job preparing for the match and during the match.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 11-07-2018, 21:48.

Comment

No midfield. Alli and Lingard were... nowhere to be seen throughout. Walker is a complete liability and needs dropping.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            Such a shame.
            I've really enjoyed this World Cup.
            England have played well and not risen to the dirty tactics.
            The banter has been great and it's a real shame it's not coming home.
            Yes that's quite true QC. I thought Croatia were an honest team but the way they were pushing England players about during the game (in some cases when play had stopped and they wanted the ball back from an English player) I thought the referee might have been more forthcoming with bookings. Tbh though the ref let a lot of the debatable behaviour fly (I think he did pretty poorly through most of the match tbh).

Croatia got their goals fairly though so I can't hold that against them. England had ample opportunities to square an additional goal or two away during regular play which would have potentially allowed them to avoid extra time and tonight's outcome.

Oh well, props to England for their efforts and I think a lot of the main squad really showed good form (Kane, Trippier, Rashford, Lingard, Dele Ali, Maguire, Stones and Pickford come to mind among others).

I think Southgate needs to reassess whether Raheem Sterling starts in future international fixtures though. He has the pace to keep defenders on their toes but almost always panicked when approaching the opposition's goal and would lose the ball each time. He's good at club level but succumbs to pressure too often on the international stage.

They might not be bringing it home this Summer but props to the lads for having a very solid World Cup 2018.
            Last edited by Paddy; 12-07-2018, 01:07.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
              Ah well. Only a few weeks and they'll be back getting overpayed in the Premier League.
              Can't wait. Saturdays are horrible and so bloody boring, without the Football

So looking forward to seeing my Cardiff back in the Prem too. Premier league action for the whole season for just £340, thanks to last years price freeze .

Comment

That’s cheap for a Premier League season ticket. Last time I was at Upton Park it was £55 for my match ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                  That’s cheap for a Premier League season ticket. Last time I was at Upton Park it was £55 for my match ticket.
                  Cardiff had a 3 year price freeze for anyone who bought a season ticket last season. So happy with that deal and worked out a treat now we're a Prem football club . Been a season ticket holder since the age of 10 and so looking forward to being back inthe Prem, will miss the Tuesday night football though.

Can't wait for the season to start, Saturdays are crap without the footy

Comment

problem with last night is that England finally faced a decent team who tested their defence. We beat Panama/Tunisia (two of the worst teams in the tourney) scraped past a sub par Columbia (missing their best player Rodriguez) and beat Sweden who just sit back and offer no threat up front...England would have lost to Japan/Brazil easy in other half of draw

Comment

Think you being harsh and one could bring up how Japan just about made it through or how utter crap and totally overrated Brazil have been. Not only has it been a pleasure to watch England again, they are also a very young squad and played against a good and established croatia and took them to extra time in the Semi Final of the Worldcup. The only negative to me has been the utter bias from the English TV Presenters and commentary teams, when it comes to England.

Have to say its been a brilliant World Cup and its looking good for Spurs this season lol

Comment

wouldn't say harsh, that's just how it was in my eyes. I thought Japan were very good against Belgium and Brazil would open England's defence despite being sub-par for me. Belgium have the best team this cup and was annoyed when negative France beat them. Hope Craotia go on to win now but can't see it! England will be better in 4 years time with more experience behind them.

Comment

Japan were hit and miss and was just dreadful against Senegal and even Cardiff City could beat the overrated bunch of diving beachboys that was Brazil. I think in the Knock out stage France has looked the best side and Croatia were taken all the way by Russia and almost with England.

Think England have played well and its been nice to enjoy England again and going forward this should be a real good England side over the next 8 years

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                            Think England have played well and its been nice to enjoy England again and going forward this should be a real good England side over the next 8 years
                            I'd agree, I like Southgate and what he has brought to the team, you have to remember this England team are the youngest and least experienced in big tournaments than all the others so GS has done a good job with 'limited' potential. They certainly brought a feelgood factor to the nation.
                            Not sure we've got the firepower to win but hopefully we'll be able to get through the group stages without too much bother for the next Euro's and WC,
                            FIFA though has to get a grip of the diving, play-acting and cynical tackling. I'll be getting my sports fix now via tennis and NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
                              I'd agree, I like Southgate and what he has brought to the team, you have to remember this England team are the youngest and least experienced in big tournaments than all the others so GS has done a good job with 'limited' potential. They certainly brought a feelgood factor to the nation.
                              Not sure we've got the firepower to win but hopefully we'll be able to get through the group stages without too much bother for the next Euro's and WC,
                              FIFA though has to get a grip of the diving, play-acting and cynical tackling. I'll be getting my sports fix now via tennis and NFL.
                              Lack of Firepower is what cost England last night and to me Kane didn't look fit and like he was carrying a knock.

Agreed over the diving too, the cheating from the likes of Brazil and Columbia was an utter disgrace.

Comment

Originally posted by gamelife View Post
                                England would have lost to Japan/Brazil easy in other half of draw
                                Maybe. Maybe not. We'll never know. But we know that poor teams/teams who play poorly often triumph over good teams/teams who play well. That's the beauty of sport.

Comment

Working...
                                X