Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That I bought an Xbox One X knowing I wouldn't get the use out of it to justify the expense.

Every. Bloody. Time.

Comment

Once again - the railways, at being utterly, utterly, UTTERLY ****.

Why is every aspect of the process so awkward?!?!?!

We're going on a trip tomorrow, and there's engineering works ongoing. However, if I start from the beginning...
      • When we were ordering the tickets, there was a notification which mentioned there might be engineering works, but it was too brief to be of any use and didn't actually explain the problem.
      • Then, when ordering the tickets, the local operator's site didn't work. It offered me a list of sites to get tickets from, including (for example) operators from the West Country who can, apparently, sell tickets for anywhere in the UK, making the whole idea of having different websites pointless because all tickets are valid regardless of where purchased. Of course, the site didn't TELL me this; I had to go look it up, because let's face it, it doesn't make ANY sense for there to be a site for a Manchester train service that can somehow sell tickets for lines in, say, Newcastle. But they can.
      • I just went and got the tickets. The main machine at the station was broken leading to an outdoor queue in inclement weather to use the other machine.
      • You need both your card used to buy the tickets AND the code for the tickets. I mean, WHY?! Why not just need one or the other? What possible situation does that guard against? An email hacker in Indonesia steals a set of tickets from Rotherham to Chepstowe? Someone steals my card and psychically works out they could get the train via tickets I haven't yet claimed?!
      • Then, there are engineering works on, but the national rail website is useless! They're between two stations, so it talks about replacement buses and direct trains... It's like someone performed an exercise in writing 100 words using all the right terms, without imparting ANY ACTUAL INFORMATION.

Why is the railway system so arcane?! IT MAKES ME SO ****ING ANGRY.

It's a mass transit system which the UK practically invented.

I'm an inch away from putting together a society to seize the railways back from the companies who own them by force, and only a few other inches away from PUTTING THEIR SHAREHOLDERS TO THE GUILLOTINE.

Comment

They should be privatised. That will make them better.

Comment

Best thing to do is tarmac the lot and build a custom highway designed for self driving electric cars and trucks.

Comment

Following on from the printer gripes:

It strikes me that printer technology hasn’t moved on in about 40 years. They still regularly don’t work for unknown reasons. Every device imaginable now is able to reliably join a WiFi network but not printers it seems. They just can’t do it. It’s all a ploy to get us to finally have a paperless office I reckon.

Comment

Yeah our printer is like some old mule. It might print if it feels like it but often just chooses not to.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post

Why is every aspect of the process so awkward?!?!?!

We're going on a trip tomorrow, and there's engineering works ongoing. However, if I start from the beginning...
                • When we were ordering the tickets, there was a notification which mentioned there might be engineering works, but it was too brief to be of any use and didn't actually explain the problem.
                • Then, when ordering the tickets, the local operator's site didn't work. It offered me a list of sites to get tickets from, including (for example) operators from the West Country who can, apparently, sell tickets for anywhere in the UK, making the whole idea of having different websites pointless because all tickets are valid regardless of where purchased. Of course, the site didn't TELL me this; I had to go look it up, because let's face it, it doesn't make ANY sense for there to be a site for a Manchester train service that can somehow sell tickets for lines in, say, Newcastle. But they can.
                • I just went and got the tickets. The main machine at the station was broken leading to an outdoor queue in inclement weather to use the other machine.
                • You need both your card used to buy the tickets AND the code for the tickets. I mean, WHY?! Why not just need one or the other? What possible situation does that guard against? An email hacker in Indonesia steals a set of tickets from Rotherham to Chepstowe? Someone steals my card and psychically works out they could get the train via tickets I haven't yet claimed?!
                • Then, there are engineering works on, but the national rail website is useless! They're between two stations, so it talks about replacement buses and direct trains... It's like someone performed an exercise in writing 100 words using all the right terms, without imparting ANY ACTUAL INFORMATION.

Why is the railway system so arcane?! IT MAKES ME SO ****ING ANGRY.

It's a mass transit system which the UK practically invented.

I'm an inch away from putting together a society to seize the railways back from the companies who own them by force, and only a few other inches away from PUTTING THEIR SHAREHOLDERS TO THE GUILLOTINE.
                Just be grateful you aren’t getting this every morning......

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post

I agree with the ticket lark for collecting, you can actually use any credit card/debit card..

I get mine paid for by the business and if it's a last minute meeting I collect at the station, all I need it the code and I can use any card to get the system to work, mine, yours, the wife's, Usain Bolt's - doesn't matter.

Stupid rule though.

Comment

Cutting glass today in my craft class, I can press onto hard shard edges when grinding them down, bits pingings off everywhere and using cutting equipment no problem.

Wash my hands thoroughly at the end of my session and start driving home, brush one finger against the other and the most microscopic shard of glass, completely invisible to me, cuts into my flesh and I'm bleeding all over the place.

Still love my class, just really impatient to get back next week!

Comment

Tekken 7's story mode. Annoying bosses.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                        Following on from the printer gripes:

It strikes me that printer technology hasn’t moved on in about 40 years. They still regularly don’t work for unknown reasons. Every device imaginable now is able to reliably join a WiFi network but not printers it seems. They just can’t do it. It’s all a ploy to get us to finally have a paperless office I reckon.
                        Also why are there so many different home printers? There could literally be 5 models from a brand. How can they possibly need so many in the range....

Comment

My mono laser printer has wi-fi, but it forgets everything when you unplug it. Borderline useless feature

Comment

We had an inkjet that dried up every time you needed it, usually for tickets that had barcodes and the stripey printing made it unreadable to scanners.
                            Proper stressful!

Bought a colour laser and couldn't be happier. It's still on it's first set of toners and it prints first time, every time.
                            It's WiFi, so it's hidden away, rather than attached to a computer.

Comment

We've been looking for a new house as where we are is too small.

Viewed a place yesterday and it's fantastic - dated interior but that gives me a canvas to work with.

Found out that a colleague of my Mum has also viewed it and is in a better financial position than us so we'll probably not get it.

Comment

So, quite randomly I found someone in the UK with the P-Bandai clear armour set for the 00 Raiser Gundam. I put in an offer for £5 less than asking price and it was automatically accepted. I paid for it immediately, but the transaction is still showing as ‘pending’, with an hour-glass symbol on eBay... apparently the seller needs to accept the transaction?!

I’ve never come across this before, why does the seller need to accept the payment? I’ve messaged the seller and still haven’t received a response... is this some skanky way of not selling me the item? Will my payment automatically expire after a few days?

Comment

Working...
                                X