Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MacBooks are the only laptops in existence with an excellent trackpad. ASUs have one which I’d call quite good but everything else is garbage really.

My thinkpad T440s is pretty amazing though. Must be 5 years old now and still going strong.

I can’t believe the latest MacBook Air still only has a 1440 x 900 screen resolution. My MacBook Air from 2008 did 1280x800 ffs.

Comment

So, full nerd alert, a lot of the threads I've posted over the years have been ongoing for a long time. Certainly stuff like Retro|Spective, Critics Club, Under/Rated, BPX etc and so the best way of posting them without risk of repetition etc is to keep a track of them via a spreadsheet.

It's gone.

There's a chance I may get it back for now it's looking like I have a big project recreating it on my hands. 2018 and I learnt nothing about back ups or from The Bordersdown Purge

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
        MacBooks are the only laptops in existence with an excellent trackpad. ASUs have one which I’d call quite good but everything else is garbage really.

My thinkpad T440s is pretty amazing though. Must be 5 years old now and still going strong.

I can’t believe the latest MacBook Air still only has a 1440 x 900 screen resolution. My MacBook Air from 2008 did 1280x800 ffs.
        Trackpads on the latest MacBooks are horrific, my wife has a 2017 and i can't stand it in comparison to my 2009. I'm on to a T470 Thinkpad for work now, can't be arsed with that either, but it does have awesome battery life. I need to find a very lightly used version of my Macbook, as late a version as possible with the same trackpad as mine and just mothball it!

Comment

The one with a real trackpad button? Those were the business. Gradually worse since then yeah.

Comment

The Air revealed yesterday has a 2560x1600 display, so they finally updated that. Hard to argue with MacBooks having the best trackpad, though I like using my trackpoint more (T440p).

Comment

The £1200 + ones yeah, the "budget" £950 one is still 1440 x 900

That's the other problem Apple now have, and it's the exact same one they had when Steve returned for his second stint: Your average customer doesn't know what model to buy. The differences between the Air, MacBook and the Pro require deep investigation on the part of the buyer and even then you can spend ages weighing up the pros and cons. Steve always made things simple; MacBook = cheap (ish) and plastic for home user, MacBook pro = expensive and metal, for professionals. iMac = home, Mac Pro = professional. Those are your starting points and then you spec what you want based on how much you're willing to spend. Now, with their current lineup, it's hard to even know where to start.

My T440s trackpad works quite well actually but it makes an awful rattly racket that makes it seem cheap and nasty.

Comment

Surprised to hear people don’t like Apple’s modern trackpads. They’re much larger and better now than they used to be IMO. The external Bluetooth one is killer.

With the new Air announcement, the MB line has become stupidly confusing. You’ve got the MacBook, the Air, and the Pro, all about £1200 with very little between them. It doesn’t make a whole lot of sense at this point.

I’m using a MacBook (just ‘MacBook’) from 2016 right now. It’s a great machine to be honest. Super thin and light with a nice high DPI display, and it’s surprisingly snappy. I’ve even edited 4K video on it.

A lot of people hate the short travel on the keyboard but it was a grower for me, and I now like it a lot. I do probably 70% of my typing on an external keyboard with the laptop hooked up to a monitor though.

Re: Apple prices, man, they just keep on rising, don’t they? £799 for the Mac mini - it was introduced at £300 as I recall!

Comment

800 quid for an i3, horrific!

Comment

With all this talk of MacBooks, does anyone know what the last year was with the same trackpad as my 2009?

Comment

*bash ikobo over head with old MacBook*

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                        *bash ikobo over head with old MacBook*
                        Ah, I see pebble has been using the new SmackBook Pro.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                          800 quid for an i3, horrific!
                          Their existing "MacBook" range doesn't even have an i3. I get that they're going for battery over performance but well, I'll stick to a proper i7 thanks Apple.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                            Their existing "MacBook" range doesn't even have an i3. I get that they're going for battery over performance but well, I'll stick to a proper i7 thanks Apple.
                            *bash young spiddleton over head with mac mini* *plastic bottom cover drops off*

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                              With all this talk of MacBooks, does anyone know what the last year was with the same trackpad as my 2009?
                              I think the 2015 MacBook Pro (‘with Retina display’)

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                                So, full nerd alert, a lot of the threads I've posted over the years have been ongoing for a long time. Certainly stuff like Retro|Spective, Critics Club, Under/Rated, BPX etc and so the best way of posting them without risk of repetition etc is to keep a track of them via a spreadsheet.

It's gone.

There's a chance I may get it back for now it's looking like I have a big project recreating it on my hands. 2018 and I learnt nothing about back ups or from The Bordersdown Purge
                                That's why Google Docs. #Grammar.

Comment

Working...
                                X