Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a laptop for the other half the first time in a number of years.....and it feels like they have not moved on at all seems like for the same price as a laptop i got a number of years ago similar specs (eg rubbish dual core) but now with less harddrive space mostly 32/16gb instead of the 160gb+ of old

Comment

Less HD space is better if it has an SSD. The rest is true

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
        Looking for a laptop for the other half the first time in a number of years.....and it feels like they have not moved on at all seems like for the same price as a laptop i got a number of years ago similar specs (eg rubbish dual core) but now with less harddrive space mostly 32/16gb instead of the 160gb+ of old
        PC development has stalled a bit over the last few years. The last time I upgraded, processors were barely better than the prior time.

That being said, a few things have improved. SSD drives are a huge performance improvement for one.

I'm told it's in part due to something of a price war where gamers are competing for hardware with bitcoin miners.

Comment

The mining prices have totally collapsed.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
            Less HD space is better if it has an SSD. The rest is true
            The 32GB/64GB solutions are almost eMMC memory - which is ****. Has worse performance than a hard drive.

Just buy a used business machine like a ThinkPad if you're on a budget, can't get better.

Comment

Seems like there is a lot of them using eMMC drives which from what i can gather are not great

At the moment i am using a m.2 drive on my PC but it is just a sata hoping to pop in a proper NVME speed drive in the next month or two which would be a lot faster

Comment

Five Guys burger buns. Stodgy and awful and need to be revised.

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                  I've not long upgraded my lappy from my MSI 2014 model which I paid £700, admittedly I got it from Dell outlet for £550 but specs are much better;

i5-4200H Passmark 4430 (running 45w) to i5-8250U Passmark 7666 (running 15w)
                  1TB HDD to 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD
                  8GB 1600 to 8GB 2400
                  Screen res is the same but better quality on the Dell, Dell has a fingerprint reader too.

I've taken out the HDD and replaced with an SSD.

Speedy is right about the Thinkpads, great business machines wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Comment

So I've just driven non stop for five hours down for work in the morning. Of that entire journey it only didn't absolutely piss down for about ten miles, that's the first irk.

Second irk, the amount of people on the road who have faulty lights but think the remedy for it is just firing full beam on to compensate. *****.

Third irk, people who somehow seem to have it in their head that you put your fog lights on in heavy rain. *****.

Fourth irk, modern headlights that even on standard setting are absolutely ****ing blinding, especially in bad visibility. *****.

Basically, *****.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                      So I've just driven non stop for five hours down for work in the morning. Of that entire journey it only didn't absolutely piss down for about ten miles, that's the first irk.

Second irk, the amount of people on the road who have faulty lights but think the remedy for it is just firing full beam on to compensate. *****.

Third irk, people who somehow seem to have it in their head that you put your fog lights on in heavy rain. *****.

Fourth irk, modern headlights that even on standard setting are absolutely ****ing blinding, especially in bad visibility. *****.

Basically, *****.
                      Agree with that Colin, also the idiots, particularly at night who think its OK to sit on the brakes at traffic lights - put the bloody handbrake on. Couple that with more and more cars whose rear lights are more or less the whole backside of the vehicle.

Comment

Does anyone in an automatic put it in park at lights?

Comment

If I'll be there a while: I'll put it in P, release the brake pedal, and then press down the parking brake.

If I won't be there long(or I arrived when the light was already red), I'll put it into P but not use the parking brake.

Seems parking brake is safest, though, in case you get bummed by the car behind you.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post

Basically, *****.
                            These new 4x4's on the road with moon penetrating radar front head lights should be taken off the road, they are so bright its dangerous at night, and if your in a normal height car and they get behind you wave good by to your retinas.

Comment

The current series of I'm a Celeb, first one I've seen since probably the sixth series (current is series 18) and the public vote Noel off first. Peasants, the lot of them.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                                These new 4x4's on the road with moon penetrating radar front head lights should be taken off the road, they are so bright its dangerous at night, and if your in a normal height car and they get behind you wave good by to your retinas.
                                Any kind of pick-up truck not being perfectly behind me and I get blinded by their lights in my side mirrors.

Comment

Working...
                                X