Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That’s bizarre. I agree you are right to be upset. That case chills me to the bone as a grown man, as it would anyone, let alone a 12 year old.

I don’t see what possible benefit a probably gruesome and dramatic video about the case would have when shown to a class of 12 year olds.

Comment

That’s just cruel, definitely don’t agree with that. Like wakka, I find this sort of thing unsettling to learn about even at my age. Not on at all.

Comment

I was 12 when it happened and I remember things like the CCTV footage, news breakdowns of the chain of events etc but even that would have been through the filter of TV censorship rather a detailed comb through. You can teach lessons through all sorts of reference cases so though this was a high profile one it was never going to be a good one, A because they're clearly showing overly graphic imagery to them and B because it's also teaching them 'by the way other pupils could just as easily do this to you or your siblings as could that alley boogeyman we've warned you about'

Comment

I agreed, that’s an unacceptable topic. I think kids are burdened with far too much stuff in school now.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
            I agreed, that’s an unacceptable topic. I think kids are burdened with far too much stuff in school now.
            Im sure 99% of kids now are looking and sharing far worse stuff right of their phones completely unfiltered.

I’d be interested to see how many parents on here enable and manage parental controls closely, being the tech savvy lot we are I’d expect it to be 100% of parents here.
            Last edited by fishbowlhead; 06-12-2018, 14:30.

Comment

Given the case it was, I don't imagine most kids are looking and sharing worse at 12. There are very few cases that are worse.

Comment

99% of 12 year olds are sharing worse stuff than the molestation, torture and murder of a toddler? What are you basing that on?

Comment

Parental control for internet services seemed to be a big thing when I was being introduced to the internet.

Isn’t a topic I see pop up very often more recently though. Maybe that’s just because I’m not being affected by it though.

That said, news sites often offer an opt in option to see video of people actually dying. I don’t agree with it.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                    99% of 12 year olds are sharing worse stuff than the molestation, torture and murder of a toddler? What are you basing that on?
                    I’m basing it on good old fashioned predictable human nature. If you give a 12 year old unfiltered acces to the internet, in their pocket, that they have on them at all times, do you think they will not look up this stuff? Or get sent it by a friend or someone there in a chat group with? Of course they will.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                      I’m basing it on good old fashioned predictable human nature. If you give a 12 year old unfiltered acces to the internet, in their pocket, that they have on them at all times, do you think they will not look up this stuff? Or get sent it by a friend or someone there in a chat group with? Of course they will.
                      Admittedly I had a copy of "the cookbook" when I was 13. I had no use for it, and I never made anything with it, but it was out of a sort of morbid curiosity.

Comment

Not getting any obvious hits with that query on Google, care to explain?

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                          So your argument is that because kids can look up horrible stuff on the internet, we should force them to watch horrible stuff in school?

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                            Not getting any obvious hits with that query on Google, care to explain?
                            It was a guide to creating explosives from household materials.

Comment

I think he's just saying they see these things anyway. And maybe some do but I reckon most don't. Firstly, there are very few things worse than the Bulger case. You'd have to put in some real work to get much darker. Secondly, I suspect a good chunk of 12 years olds don't yet have unfiltered access to the internet. Among those who do, many will be pretty new to it and I can only imagine that the worst of what's out there is harder to find than it was in the early days of the internet (I do not miss those days) so it requires a level of knowledge that I think many in that age range won't have. And, as hard as it may be to believe, I think the 12 year olds who want access to this stuff will be in the minority.

Regardless, none of it offers a justification for going through the details of the Bulger case in a class full of kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                                WTF!!!!!???? That case sickens me to my stomach every time I have to think about it.
                                This. I'd be writing a very very strongly worded letter to the headteacher asking for a full explanation.

Comment

Working...
                                X