The Car Thread: Mark III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
    Bonus 10% taxes once they hit 13 years old now too! Just a way to force people to buy new cars they don't really need. The only benefit being if you live outside Japan so you can scoop up all their low-mileage, well-maintained goodies. Or in my case buy a really high-mileage, not particularly well-maintained ex-taxi and drive around pulling the lever to open the back door. Need to get back to fixing it this year really.

Did you really buy an old taxi? Lol, nice one. Is it running on LP Gas?

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
      Look what I saw outside the Mc Donald's, Yesterday. A classic Fiat Panda. Seeing one of these in Japan is really rare. Left hand drive model and mint. Probably an Italian import.
      Not a car I'd want to be in tbh and not only based on its looks and cramped interior - it has the lowest rated NCAP figures of any of its peers across all catagories.

(Yeah, I know that's for the new model, but the older ones are even worse - hated the one my mother took us to school in, awful car in every conceivable respect).
      Last edited by MartyG; 17-01-2022, 07:54.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
        Not a car I'd want to be in tbh and not only based on its looks and cramped interior - it has the lowest rated NCAP figures of any of its peers across all catagories.

(Yeah, I know that's for the new model, but the older ones are even worse - hated the one my mother took us to school in, awful car in every conceivable respect).
        That it is but still a pretty cool site in this part of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
          Did you really buy an old taxi? Lol, nice one. Is it running on LP Gas?
          Yeah it runs on LP Gas only via a massive terrifying gas bottle in the boot. I figured out the company that owned it from the details on the back of the meter and the sign, some place in Okayama.

NCAP is very flawed to be honest, I don't pay it much mind. Too many scores are based on the presence of certain features as opposed to actual crash performance. No regard for basic things like all round visibility so you can see where you're going (or reversing into).

I can't remember the MK1 Panda being any worse for crashes than anything else of the time really. Back then small car safety meant a laminated windscreen and a collapsible steering column.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
            I have looked into the Hybrids but the limited range of the Electric motor (around 30 miles for most) means I'm still going to spend more of my time on Petrol anyway & I'm sure because of that eventually I'll just end up not bothering to charge it at all

I actually meant to take a picture today outside the house to show you the issue I might have with charging an EV
            I'll try again tomorrow lol

I don't do huge mileage a week.
            Probably fill up every 2-3 weeks & average 320 miles from a tank in the Mazda

Yeah my boss was saying the Servicing is cheaper on the Tesla as there are less moving parts which is a nice bonus
            Also similar comments on the charge thing...he's recently had a bereavement in the family & they live in Portsmouth so it takes a bit more planning based on available quick charge locations to ensure they get the charge & rushing off at the drop of a hat to go down there just isn't that possible because of the charge

Blimey that's quite a challenge
            We have no infrastructure at work for charging so my boss currently drapes an extension lead out the door & plugs in to that
            He gains around 10 miles per hour on the charge & when it's plugged in all day he soon grabs back about 80+ miles

Very nice on the Supra
            I'd love one but just think sadly without lottery win so I could run more than one car I'd never be able to justify it.
            Ideally I'd still get petrol but I do think it's well worth looking into the EV option from a cost perspective because once I add fuel price into the monthly outlay there really is precious little in it

Neil
            Ye distance is a problem with EV if going anywhere far. Good yr boss is hanging a cable out the window, think I would do the same. I imagine other work places will get crazy the more EVs people get apparently some places in California getting like 10 Tesla deep on chargers. You might get away with an extension cable above pic or could park next to yr door is feasible. Else hot hatch never fails in the U.K I don’t think.

I cannot afford two cars either . GR Supra will be upper limit of what I can afford car wise I think, servicing will probably be £100 more than my GT86 at £500 for full service. Also don’t use much fuel either really so helps. My situation depends on how many places I have to take the boy mostly, although doing some spirited drive B roads tomorrow.
            Last edited by JU!; 22-01-2022, 13:48.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post

My mate at school had a white Fiat Panda as his first car. It was hideous! To the point that, when he ever offered me a lift to a social gathering I'd pass and walk / get the bus!

Comment

Apparently Telsa have just tested a new type of battery on a roadster and got over 750miles on 1 charge. Their hoping to mass produce the batterys next year.

Comment

Take anything Tesla related with a massive pinch of salt. The amazing new batteries they’ve been talking about for a couple of years are a Panasonic thing. Panasonic admitted Tesla haven’t signed a contract for these new cells yet and they are available to other car manufacturers too.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                    Bonus 10% taxes once they hit 13 years old now too! Just a way to force people to buy new cars they don't really need. The only benefit being if you live outside Japan so you can scoop up all their low-mileage, well-maintained goodies. Or in my case buy a really high-mileage, not particularly well-maintained ex-taxi and drive around pulling the lever to open the back door. Need to get back to fixing it this year really.

This is absolutely brilliant.

How I imagine you driving this beast:

Comment

I have never had such a hard time buying a new car as I have at the moment

Lead times on new cars are crazy & used prices for anything half decent are bonkers

What would have been more than reasonable in 2019 (or even mid to late 2020) are thousands & thousands dearer now, it's ridiculous

Neil

Comment

Vauxhall Corsa courtesy car 2021 edition. 1.5L Diesel. 5door. My review.

The good:
                        Quiet - couldn't even tell if it's a petrol or diesel to start with.
                        Auto engine off in traffic.
                        The steering wheel looks like one out of a Mercedes. Feels good too.

The bad:
                        Zero room in the back behind my seat (I'm 6foot with 34" leg). Couldn't even get the kids in there.
                        Zero feel - I have no idea what's going to happen when I turn the wheel, press the brake or accelerate. For such a small car, you'd think this would be easy, but my GF's Merc GLC coupe is far more visceral and similarly quiet, whilst being vastly heavier, even though it's on huge balloon tyres.
                        Suspension is good for a car this price, although anti-rollbar isn't even fitted at all as far as I can tell
                        The driver seat is so short. Not nearly enough of my leg is being supported. So uncomfortable.
                        The steering wheel is in a stupid place. If I put the seat back far enough so that my legs feel good on the pedals, I can barely reach the steering wheel, arms out straight which isn't good for control. So I have to put the seat back up straight to make the arms comfortable. But the headrest leans forwards in a stupid way which pushes on my head, so I had to remove it completely (the headrest, not my head), so I'm screwed in a rear end shunt. After an hour drive, my back hurt so much I had to lie down. Ergonomics are beyond stupid.
                        Also steering wheel: it's really high up, but if you pull it down to a normal height, I can't see half the dashboard. Must feel like hanging off the wheel for short people, although at least they'd be able to see the dash.
                        Pedals: OMG. I cannot begin to count the number of times I've not been able to put the clutch down far enough because there's not enough room between my braking foot and the footrest plate to push my left foot through and so it stops half way. I've never had this in any other car.

Summary:
                        Pretty much what you'd expect, apart from the pedals However, I 100% cannot recommend it to anyone because EVERY TIME YOU TURN THE CAR ON YOU HAVE TO TURN THE AIR CONDITIONING OFF. Who's idea was that? It doesn't remember your setting. Imagine that for a couple of years. It would drive me insanse.
                        Last edited by charlesr; 02-02-2022, 09:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                          I have never had such a hard time buying a new car as I have at the moment

Lead times on new cars are crazy & used prices for anything half decent are bonkers

What would have been more than reasonable in 2019 (or even mid to late 2020) are thousands & thousands dearer now, it's ridiculous

Neil

I tried to get a van on the business last year, 11 months later and no sign of it so i canalled the contract, production just cant keep up.

Comment

I went to fill up the Corsa. Turns out it only SOUNDS like a diesel. It's actually a petrol.
                            I was gobsmacked. Standing at the pump laughing

Comment

My first car was a Corsa, wouldn’t touch one now though.

Comment

Also if you forget to turn the Aircon off, the engine auto-off feature at traffic lights and stuff refuses to work, because the aircon needs the engine to work. So essentially, they've made it worse for the environment (enforced air con uses more fuel and engine doesn't save fuel while sat still). Well done Vauxhall....

Comment

Working...
                                X