No announcement yet.

The Car Thread: Mark III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well all roads circled round and despite me saying I can't fathom any excitement for a Tesla Model 3, I took one out for a test drive and fell in love.

I've sold my M2 Competition this weekend, paid the deposit on a really good 0% finance deal on a brand new pre-built Tesla and picking up my Model 3 next weekend.

Although the exterior didn't give me any thrills, inside is like the most beautiful and clean air port lounge I've been in. Driving was great: Clear view outside that reminded me of the windscreen canopy of a McLaren MP4-12C as you could see so much of the road by your front wheel arches, the tablet was all consuming and in heavy traffic, it was a breeze. When the roads opened up, the RWD model put the power down well and feel was numb but very comfortable over pot holes and our **** roads.

After chatting with a mate who owns one locally, they don't have any issues and turning off all the security / update features of the car when it's parked, stops the battery being robbed when it's not used and in a safe place like my drive. That was their pro tip for me as I don't drive much during the week and use it more on weekends.

Looking forward to collection next week.

Comment

Is the battery drain really that severe? That’s surprising.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
        Is the battery drain really that severe? That’s surprising.
        It is if you leave sentry mode on 24/7. The first weekend I had mine I had to take a flight back to the UK, and left it parked at Düsseldorf Airport with the sentry on, which took about 12% of the charge. You can tell it not to record when it’s parked at home.

Comment

Wow! 12% of the traction battery. Do they not have a 12v battery for infotainment in Teslas?

Comment

Anyone have any experience with car insurance purchasing on the day of pick up?

Already finding one of the known issues of Tesla having monumentally cunty (Yay, I broke the swear filter!) customer support to be entirely valid. They won't give me the reg plate of my car till the day of pickup. Every other car manufacture I've purchased a new car from like Ford and BMW have the reg plate, and in BMW's case even let me pick one, days or weeks before.

Tesla are actively telling me they don't know what it'll be till the day of collection, only providing me a VIN...

I've rang my current car insurer and they won't give me a quote or cover till I have the reg plate but have warned me, the DVLA won't have the car on the system till days after registration. If so, they can't guarantee they'll insure me. I've rang 3 other companies and they say the same thing. Even rang a RAC temporary insurance cover provider and they're the same too.

So now I'll have to sit in my new ****ing car and then ring and be on hold for 30+ minutes and hope they'll insure me there and there. If not, either I'll have to leave the car or drive home uninsured, which I really don't want to do.

Slow slap Tesla, slow clap.

Comment

Do they not have a service where they can deliver it to your home?
              Tesla - Trying to force you to rely on fossil fuel cars as long as possible!

Comment

Any time I’ve bought a brand new car it’s come with a weeks insurance included to allow you time to sort out your own.

Comment

And just as I moaned about that, they crumbled and sent me the reg plate. I mean, how hard must it be for them to understand most insurance providers need the reg plate, if they don't, they can't drive the car!

Luckily, my defeated text message to them must have pulled their heart strings and they gave me the plate they'll used. Luckily, my current insurer done me a solid and it was only £35 more to put the Tesla Model 3 on my policy. Result! Compare the Market was asking for £200 more for the cheapest and £500 as the excess. Tesla themselves wanted £600 more!

Phew, now just to sort GAP insurance and we should be done!

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                    Do they not have a service where they can deliver it to your home?
                    Tesla - Trying to force you to rely on fossil fuel cars as long as possible!
                    They do but only in specific areas, I presume London or major cities? As I'm in a little town, no dice. However, I do like collecting a new car as I'm weird like that, just wish Tesla made the experience as nice as Ford and BMW do.

Any time I’ve bought a brand new car it’s come with a weeks insurance included to allow you time to sort out your own.
                    Same. BMW realise that a reg plate takes awhile to show up in DVLA records so provide that overhead.

Maybe I just had bad luck (Used Tesla Guildford for a test drive and first point of contact, switching to Southampton Tesla for the specific car and for collection. Overall nice people I've interacted with and no issues, but it feels like the structure is what needs refinement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
                      Luckily, my current insurer done me a solid and it was only £35 more to put the Tesla Model 3 on my policy. Result! Compare the Market was asking for £200 more for the cheapest and £500 as the excess. Tesla themselves wanted £600 more!
                      That’s really good. My uncle was not happy with cost of insuring his model 3. Apparently all their cars are group 50 for insurance due to the repair costs.

Comment

That’s really good. My uncle was not happy with cost of insuring his model 3. Apparently all their cars are group 50 for insurance due to the repair costs.
                        This is the other side of electric vehicles, insurers don’t want them, they cost a bomb to repair anything whatsoever.

Comment

Meanwhile in non-electric old petrol engine news, I decided I actually trust my resurrected car enough to take it on a long journey to the coast for a few days. No problems, which was just as well really.

I reckon I got about 20mpg from the 2.5 V6, which is about on spec, mixture of motorway/rural B-roads with a boot full of stuff and a not particularly gentle foot. I don't know if that makes much economic sense, but I've rarely had anything with good fuel economy so I'm just used to it at this stage.

Funny to think it's a 25 year old car now, I still think of it as the new one (I've only had one newer, 2003). Age never bothered me though, I just like what I like. It gets a different reaction from people now than it did when I was last running it about a decade ago, I suppose it looks different to people nowadays.

Comment

Musk claims the years late Cybertruck can briefly float. Like all cars... I suppose...

This car is going to be ****ing awful

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                                https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/i...k-claims-both/
                                Musk claims the years late Cybertruck can briefly float. Like all cars... I suppose...

This car is going to be ****ing awful
                                So it slowly drowns occupants?

Comment

Working...
                                X