No announcement yet.

The Car Thread: Mark III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aren't Volvo phasing out a lot of their cars?
    Something to be mindful of when you need spares.

The Mazda looks nice, but I'd be tempted by the Focus just because it's so ubiquitous, it's easy to source parts and get repairs.

Comment

Not usually contribute much to this thread, but I've been driving a Mazda CX-5 for the last couple of days while my Mazda 3 undergoes the yearly check and its backup camera gets replaced (the only real fault in 8 years).
      And, if I had to make a decision to buy this car SUV on these two days, I wouldn't buy it. But: the version I've driven is an older model (2 revisions prior to the current, maybe even 3), and has more than 120k under its hood, so do not take this as impressions valid for the current model. The only SUV I can compare it to is my dad's DS 7, which instead is brand new and of the latest revision, so not exactly fair.

The driving position is good, the visibility is excellent all around, with large side mirrors and plenty of glass in the rear end (my Mazda 3 had a tiny rear window, which I never liked); the backup camera shows how much you a steering (my Mazda 3 doesn't do that), and this being an AWD variant, it has plenty of traction on both plain surfaces and inclines. The automatic shift is seamless at low gears but if you're pushing it, 3rd and 4th gears do have a bit of "hump"; 5th and 6th are again smooth.
      It's also a diesel, and I was no longer used to how noisy diesel engines can be...it's also the usual diesel growl, it doesn't sound as good as a normal Mazda petrol engine.

The car feels solid and stable on the road, but the suspensions are very stiff. You can feel every single uneven surface you drive on, and are much stiffer than on my car...which already has stiff suspensions.
      Steering is very stiff as well. Small corrections aren't a problem, but, I would say past 30 degrees, the wheel gives much more resistance that you'd expect; I can confidently steer my car and my dad's DS 7 with one hand, not so sure about the CX-5.
      Funny thing, my parents came to visit this Sunday and I drove the DS 7 again, commenting its steering felt way lighter for the SUV it is.

The model I've got as white faux-leather seats and white interiors, pleasing to the eye and makes the interior feel more spacious; it surely feels more spacious than the DS 7, though I think the CX-5 itself is a tad larger.
      The shift is farther down than I'd like, both Mazda 3 and DS 7 have a more natural position for it. But it's automatic, and you don't really have to use it that frequently. There's a manual position and shifting is done through the stick, no wheel paddles...which I like, as it keeps the back of the steering wheel clear and controls there (the usual suspects: turning signals, lights, wipers) readily accessible.

And, yeah, it's a SUV, which I'm prejudiced against.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
        Not usually contribute much to this thread, but I've been driving a Mazda CX-5 for the last couple of days while my Mazda 3 undergoes the yearly check and its backup camera gets replaced (the only real fault in 8 years).
        And, if I had to make a decision to buy this car SUV on these two days, I wouldn't buy it. But: the version I've driven is an older model (2 revisions prior to the current, maybe even 3), and has more than 120k under its hood, so do not take this as impressions valid for the current model. The only SUV I can compare it to is my dad's DS 7, which instead is brand new and of the latest revision, so not exactly fair.

The driving position is good, the visibility is excellent all around, with large side mirrors and plenty of glass in the rear end (my Mazda 3 had a tiny rear window, which I never liked); the backup camera shows how much you a steering (my Mazda 3 doesn't do that), and this being an AWD variant, it has plenty of traction on both plain surfaces and inclines. The automatic shift is seamless at low gears but if you're pushing it, 3rd and 4th gears do have a bit of "hump"; 5th and 6th are again smooth.
        It's also a diesel, and I was no longer used to how noisy diesel engines can be...it's also the usual diesel growl, it doesn't sound as good as a normal Mazda petrol engine.

The car feels solid and stable on the road, but the suspensions are very stiff. You can feel every single uneven surface you drive on, and are much stiffer than on my car...which already has stiff suspensions.
        Steering is very stiff as well. Small corrections aren't a problem, but, I would say past 30 degrees, the wheel gives much more resistance that you'd expect; I can confidently steer my car and my dad's DS 7 with one hand, not so sure about the CX-5.
        Funny thing, my parents came to visit this Sunday and I drove the DS 7 again, commenting its steering felt way lighter for the SUV it is.

The model I've got as white faux-leather seats and white interiors, pleasing to the eye and makes the interior feel more spacious; it surely feels more spacious than the DS 7, though I think the CX-5 itself is a tad larger.
        The shift is farther down than I'd like, both Mazda 3 and DS 7 have a more natural position for it. But it's automatic, and you don't really have to use it that frequently. There's a manual position and shifting is done through the stick, no wheel paddles...which I like, as it keeps the back of the steering wheel clear and controls there (the usual suspects: turning signals, lights, wipers) readily accessible.

And, yeah, it's a SUV, which I'm prejudiced against.
        I've actually got a CX-5 had it for a little over a year now & it replaced my 2012 Mazda 3 & have to say I love it

Mine was bought on the basis of needing more space with my parents getting on & them wanting to drive less meant I'm ferrying them around more often, the extra space & ease of access was a big plus

Mine is a 2019 model the 2 litre petrol Auto which was something I never thought I'd want as I've always driven manual but I have to say it really suits the style of car & I got used to it so quickly that I doubt I'll buy a manual again

I managed to get the top spec GT+ Sport Nav that comes with literally every toy you could possibly want...

Full leather
        Sunroof
        Bose audio
        Heated seats front & rear
        3D surround parking camera
        Air cooled front seats
        Electric bootlid
        Heated steering wheel

Literally one of the best spec cars I've ever experienced & one I'll happily recommend to anyone every day

​​​​​Neil

Comment

I think that's part of the catch we've been caught in. With this being an out of nowhere thing via the collision we aren't able to commit much to the cost so are going down the route of getting a low cost car that will ride us out over the next 18-24 months. We'll likely get it on long term finance and then when two years is up just pay the outstanding balance in one go when it suits us so we can sell up and get a proper upgrade. With 3 kids it needs to be spaced which is alright for some hatchbacks but despite being listed as 5 seaters some are in practice pretty squished up back.

I didn't know about the Volvo withdrawal and given how old many of the cars are we'll avoid that then

It's reassuring that everyone loves the reliability of their Mazda regardless of model :thumbs:
          For our limited budget the CX-5's available look to be better specced than the 3's. I've always driven Manuals and due to the age of the available cars nearly all of them seem to be that so the gearstick will live on

I'm still researching but we've spotted one CX-5 for just over £5K which has the leather interior, front/rear sensors, parking camera, heated front seats, bose speakers, sat nav and electric seats so pretty much just missing the sunroof and electric bootlid. From a well reviewed dealership too, never much to fall back on if something goes wrong but more than private seller I suppose. It's a long trip out though to view it and get it delivered if it suits. If I had to get a proper budgeted car again I've zero idea what to go with but Mazda is looking a safe bet on having something that old and specced and it not being a repair bill maker.

The hire car we're using atm is a Focus estate and it's steering is very light and spongey so I imagine any stiff steering will throw me off at first but I think I have one weekend to find something as the rental needs to be returned soon... still waiting for the money to come through so no rush there then

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
            I've actually got a CX-5 had it for a little over a year now & it replaced my 2012 Mazda 3 & have to say I love it
            <snip>
            Literally one of the best spec cars I've ever experienced & one I'll happily recommend to anyone every day
            ​​​​​Neil
            You've basically confirmed what I was thinking, the car I was given is old and gives off bad first impressions.

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            It's reassuring that everyone loves the reliability of their Mazda regardless of model
            I would totally suggest a Mazda. The only thing I can't seem to get used to are the suspensions, too stiff for my tastes, but the rest are either minor annoyances of stuff you simply get used to. As for reliability, I had the battery die on me because I accidentally bumped the interior lights switch (so my fault...keyless entry and exit means I don't look at the car when walking away from it), and the backup camera acting up randomly after 8 years.

Comment

Perfect stuff, we're booked in to see one in the morning - fingers crossed
              It dropped £500 over night too - instawin!

Comment

Aye, fingers crossed Neon you deserve some luck.

Cars on my shortlist;
                Jazz
                HR-V
                Kamiq
                Yaris and Cross
                LBX

Comment

Working...
                X