Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A backlash is mounting against depictions of “good cops,” on television and in the street.

Not sure where I sit with this one. Essentially, like the statues situation there's a serious discussion to be had about the depiction of the Police in media particularly in the US where glorifying them as heroes on such a heavy basis helps to mask the things they're doing in the public consciousness. On the flip side, going after targets such as Chase from Paw Patrol... there's a risk that it ends up trivialising the cause in the very minds that need to be convinced and changed. It's surprising and a little alarming to a degree how quickly the coverage focus has shifted from what the actual Governments, Councils, Governors and Police Forces need to do and are going to do for enact change to a debate about which statues should be temporarily put in rivers and whether the least effective dog in a cartoon should change vocation.

It's good that the subjects are generally being debated but losing control of the media narrative is how the environmental drive began to lose its effect

Comment

I mean... it's almost impressive that four years in Trump still manages to find a new way every single day to inch the perception that he's a barley human s--- stain a little bit further and further.

Trump has confirmed that he will hold - brace for it...

His first Republican Rally since the Lockdown and social distancing rules will not be in place, neither will PPE or other measures AND...

It will take place in Tulsa, Oklahoma - the place where one of the nations bloodiest outbreaks of racial violence took place nearly 100 years ago in 1921 AND...

it will be held on the 19 June - which is the day of the anniversary that the last Slaves were freed in the US

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

The 75 year old man pushed to the ground is Martin Gugino and is a member of two nonprofits organisations, PUSH Buffalo, which focuses on affordable housing, and Western New York Peace Center, a human rights organization, and part of the Catholic Worker Movement.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...icers-charged/
        But, BUT! He sent it from his iPhone, so it must be true.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
          https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/10/a...onal-cops.html
          Not sure where I sit with this one. Essentially, like the statues situation there's a serious discussion to be had about the depiction of the Police in media particularly in the US where glorifying them as heroes on such a heavy basis helps to mask the things they're doing in the public consciousness. On the flip side, going after targets such as Chase from Paw Patrol... there's a risk that it ends up trivialising the cause in the very minds that need to be convinced and changed. It's surprising and a little alarming to a degree how quickly the coverage focus has shifted from what the actual Governments, Councils, Governors and Police Forces need to do and are going to do for enact change to a debate about which statues should be temporarily put in rivers and whether the least effective dog in a cartoon should change vocation.

It's good that the subjects are generally being debated but losing control of the media narrative is how the environmental drive began to lose its effect
          Changing a dog from a police officer in a children's show is absolutely nothing to do with preventing the deaths of people at the hands of the police. It's exactly the same discussion as blaming video games for mass shooting. There might be a debate about the depiction of police in media, but that debate doesn't start with paw patrol.
          The statues are similar. Pulling down the statue of a slave trader is good and all, but it does nothing to address the issues at hand.

Comment

Officer Dibble was always being mean to Top Cat. Just saying.

Comment

Oh hello, you have all just wandered into my world. And I mean this in the realest possible sense. I’m in children’s media and, a couple of years ago, I created and directed a preschool show about a kid cop for Nick Jr which currently runs on one of their apps in the US. And I have thought many times since this has all kicked off, man am I glad I’m not making or promoting that show right now this moment. Because yeah, it’s just a cartoon made with the best possible intentions and, yeah, it’s actually about positive values that real cops should have and, yeah, it’s not the real problem but when there is a very, very real problem and it is now coming directly into focus, your happy little children’s show could suddenly feel in very poor taste.

So as someone very much at the heart of this, even though I actually feel opening with Paw Patrol was more about getting an exciting or ridiculous headline for the article than anything else, I say let them come for Paw Patrol.

Comment

I feel that until cartoon doggy cops are profiling black sheep/keeping contraband/taking bribes and getting away with it, they should be left alone. If a cartoon is showing cops in a good light, is that really so bad?

I don't believe cops as a concept are bad. There are bad apples, sure. But the bad apples are brushed under the carpet by way of moving to a desk job or retiring or whatever. There's no recourse when one of them goes rogue. They're a boys club who defend each other's evil and harass decent cops who dare to speak out. Cops are beyond reproach, a bit like the children of rich parents. Their parents make some calls and it all magically goes away.

We wouldn't be in this situation, and diggety-doggety cop cartoons wouldn't be targeted if the cops had a proper system in place for accountability. People aren't protesting a murder. No one protests individual murders. They're protesting a murder committed by a cop who would be protected by a corrupt system.

Comment

Having worked for the police (not as an officer mind) my opinion is that they are just people getting up in the morning, going to work and coming home. These people chose to join the force, they weren't drafted, and they do the best they can.
                  Unfortunately, like in every job, there are lazy workers and **** bags that bend and break the rules. And unfortunately, doing that as a police officer is worse then doing that as an office worker.
                  Now as for people dying under police custody, I don't even know. All the training in the world isn't going to drive the racist demon from a person.

Comment

It's worth remembering that the full maxim is "A bad apple spoils the bunch", not "A bad apple can be removed and the rest of the apples are probably okay".

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                      I feel that until cartoon doggy cops are profiling black sheep/keeping contraband/taking bribes and getting away with it, they should be left alone. If a cartoon is showing cops in a good light, is that really so bad?
                      Of course not. It’s just not necessarily something that some people might want or need right now. If you just lost a family member or member of your community or member of a group you feel a part of due to systemic and repeated unaccountable racist police violence, coming home from your protest and seeing your kid in front of happy little cartoon cops as if everything is wonderful just might not be the best thing. It’s not that these shows are bad and they definitely have nothing malicious at their heart but sometimes it’s just not the right time.

Comment

What a load of sh1te.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                          What a load of sh1te.
                          You might think so, and that's fine, but I see it's like if the BBC released a drama tomorrow about a bunch of virtuous politicians. We'd all laugh at it, and not watch it, because we'd find the idea borderline offensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            You might think so, and that's fine, but I see it's like if the BBC released a drama tomorrow about a bunch of virtuous politicians. We'd all laugh at it, and not watch it, because we'd find the idea borderline offensive.
                            Funny, I was actually thinking of framing it with an example very close to that. Like if, in 2010, I had made a show about a politician called Tory Ted who looks out for the community and I made it with really positive intentions to actually inspire a new generation to be better. Cut to 2020 and the Tories are botching a pandemic, bungling their way through Brexit and wiping out all standards as a result but my happy little show still tells you that politicians are wonderful on CBeebies each day. You can be sure that would come up in license fee discussions.

Related: my Tory Ted pitch was rejected and I'm still bitter about it.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                              What a load of sh1te.
                              Fully agree with you here

Comment

Sorry, you are still both talking total and utter shi1te, once you start banning, removing or altering things because someone finds it offensive (lots of groups offended by stuff these days, most of them well funded funny enough) then you won’t have much in the way left of games, music or films.

Comment

Working...
                                X