Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wtf is going on, seriously I have no idea. I’m beginning to think that’s the sole point of all this.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
      Jeremy Hunt has come out against a No Deal scenario saying it would be political suicide and would trigger a damaging General Election
      Hunt has just guaranteed he wouldn't be elected as leader by the party members.

The only way a hard brexit leader won't be elected is if there aren't any to choose from in the final two and that will see their membership abandon them for Farage.

If you want convincing, you only need to visit the conservative home website: https://www.conservativehome.com/par...-javid-10.html

Comment

Bercow warns Tory Leader candidates that the House will be given final say over No Deal and any candidate thinking they can push through No Deal needs to think again. He says No Deal may be the legal default but there's a difference between the legal default and what the political practical workings of Parliament will allow to happen.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Now Bercow has annoyed hardline Brexiteers by confirming he will not be standing down as speaker of the House, instead in favour of sticknig around till Brexit is done with

Comment

I like that Steve France bloke from Sunderland in the videos chimpy linked. I’m not from there, don’t have a clue what it’s like there really but he really explained what’s going on to me. A lot of people are not voting to leave the EU; they’re basically trying to **** up the situation for those that have nice cushy jobs in the south. The bankers and MPs who for decades have not given a toss about them. I can’t blame them really.

Comment

Because voting to leave the EU will make bankers and MPs unemployed and them better off and make them care more about the north? That's some faulty logic right there.

Comment

[MENTION=42]MartyG[/MENTION]: it's not logical, it's a self-destructive, F.U moment in history. Like punk for the masses.
                    In the face of political stasis, the seductive myth of Britain standing alone against its oppressors is taking hold, says Guardian columnist John Harris

Comment

It's not punk for the masses it's a cult. It's based on beliefs offering nonsense solutions to complex political problems.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                        It's not punk for the masses it's a cult. It's based on beliefs offering nonsense solutions to complex political problems.
                        Yep. And this is a huge problem. It feels like we need to listen more to the concerns and that definitely sounds like the right thing to do - to find an understanding of where this is coming from to see if we can alleviate concerns or, even better, improve their situation. The problem is that, often, the concerns manifest themselves in ways that are flat out wrong. So you can listen and understand but the result is really: oh, yeah, they’re just wrong. So in this case, for example, the EU is doing more to regulate those people in cushy jobs than the UK is. So you can understand their reasons but they’re wrong. They are in reality making their situation worse. But can you change this with reason, facts, knowledge? Seemingly not.

It’s not quite the same as debating Nazis but, once you get sucked into a debate on whether immigrants are the problem or whatever, you give it a certain level of weight that it doesn’t warrant. Issues like that dominate the conversation and the result is a distraction and little more.

Improving the social situation of everyone would go a long way towards easing things for everyone. But some of those most in need of that consistently vote for those who would prevent it. Which is really unfortunate. It’s like we’re still living out the damage caused by Thatcher.

Comment

It's an outlet, it may not have a direct cause and effect but if people feel they have no voice and then you give them one they'll use it to protest even if it isn't on message.

The Tories weren't listening, people were unhappy, the Tories wanted to Remain so many used the referendum as an opportunity to screw over the Tories. It's not logical but for a % of voters (likely Brexit Party supporters) I'd liken it to handing a loaded gun to a crazed man.

It's also why the Tories have handled this all so badly. They think they're showing that they're listening by delivering Brexit but they've spent no time what so ever reviewing why people voted how they did meaning the problem continues to decline and the party continues to fall apart. They are in for the cruellest of shocks if they deliver Brexit and expect support for them to bounce back. Only Corbyn has handled the last few years worse, I can't believe there aren't more questions asked about removing him as party leader.

Comment

I never said it made sense. The poor will be impacted more, but right now they want to see the elite impacted in some way. This was a way to do that. Voting in general elections didn’t work, protests didn’t work, petitions are ignored and then along comes a referendum and a bunch of people got a chance to say listen to me! Now, poor usually comes along with its best friends; poor education and tabloid reading and there’s your nightmare recipe right there.

What an absolute **** show.

Comment

Boris goes tor court over the bus claim. Apparently it's considered it will help his PM ambitions though it is admittedly curious he's being singled out for it when he wasn't alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                                I never said it made sense. The poor will be impacted more, but right now they want to see the elite impacted in some way. This was a way to do that.
                                No, it really wasn't. The Elite have plenty of cash for it not to impact on them at all. In fact, if the "Elite" invest their elite cash properly, Brexit will be a benefit to them, indeed Bloomberg claims many already have.

What Brexit won't do is adversely impact them, the fallout will be felt by those who are not L337 and don't have L337 cash. For example, MEPs stand to get €8,611.31 (£7598.06 at today's exchange rate) a month transitional allowance before tax for up to two years, depending on their length of service as an MEP to invest away.

I'm prepared to eat my hat that Farage won't donate that bonus cash to any food banks.
                                Last edited by MartyG; 29-05-2019, 11:25.

Comment

Working...
                                X