Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planting 1tn trees could combat climate change according to scientists. Good job no-ones planning to cut down on plastics and to start chopping down more trees then!

Tom Watson continues his campaign to become the next Labour leader, he's now urging grassroot party members to sign a Remain Declaration. This follows a new YouGov poll that now places Labour in 4th place amongst the public behind the Tories, Lib Dems and Brexit Parties.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
      https://www.theguardian.com/environm...nopy-emissions

Planting 1tn trees could combat climate change according to scientists. Good job no-ones planning to cut down on plastics and to start chopping down more trees then!
      All for this – it seems somewhat sickening scientists needing to point it out to the world, though. The problem is we're also losing around 10bn (!) trees a year (according to article), in a world that is already fixated on rampant land expansion and urban sprawl, for an uncontrolled exploding human population who consume not only the trees as resources, but the space they occupy as well.

Comment

Yeah, I saw this on the news the other day:

Basically, they're letting massive areas of rainforest be cut down, threatening the homes of indigenous people (and the environmental impacts both local and global).

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
          During the play of the EU anthem, Brexit Party MEPs act like spoiled stropping children and turn their backs.
          Still reeling from the Brexit Party turning their backs on "Ode To Joy".
          1. They'd just tweeted how disrespectful the "Bollocks to Brexit" shirts the Lib Dems were wearing.
          2. It mirrors one carried out by members of Germany’s Nazi party in Berlin’s Reichstag in 1930.
          3. They must turn their backs on the telly when Hans Gruber finally unlocks the Nakatomi Plaza vault.

Comment

I love their 'we're going to waste their time' attitude... other than maybe actually doing anything to work towards removing the anthem that offends them so much given they're not really wrong in one sense, the EU shouldn't have one.

Comment

Labour is set to announce it will campaign for Remain in any Referendum on a deal put forward by a Tory leader. If Labour won an General Election before Brexit's deadline date it would opt to pursue its own deal which would also go to a vote but with Labour campaigning for its own deal in that instance - but the change of stance is worthless tokening regardless because there are currently no movements for the Tories to bring a deal to referendum anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                Yeah, I saw this on the news the other day:

Basically, they're letting massive areas of rainforest be cut down, threatening the homes of indigenous people (and the environmental impacts both local and global).
                I wouldn’t worry about the planet now guys, It really is too late, any reversal needed to happen in the late 50’s to save it. Now? laughable, damage done, that’s it.

Comment

I don't think it's too late to save, but I wonder what the point of washing up my yoghurt pots when Trump says his administration’s accomplishments include “being good stewards of our public land,” reducing carbon emissions and promoting the “cleanest air” and “crystal clean” water, China's residents are protesting because their environment is so bad and they've built an indoor ski slope in Dubai.

Comment

The messaging for climate change is all wrong in the first place - Save the Earth etc is a third person message that is just that bit removed from the self for many people.

The thing is, the Earth itself is the last thing to be at risk from climate change. The message has to be that the human race is facing extinction, that point driven hard feeding into the selfish nature of man and its own drive for self-preservation. It's the only message with a chance of success as approaching the subject from the planet to animals reaches the same end result - not enough people care.

Comment

Corbyn has made it official. Labour will now campaign in favour of a Second Referendum on any Brexit outcome the Tories opt for. Should Labour win a General Election they will pursue their own Brexit deal.

Comment

No rush, Jeremy.

Comment

The debate last night was... interesting too!
                          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

It's utterly painful as to how blatantly unfit both Hunt and Johnson are to be PM

Comment

This analysis of the Darroch situation is bang-on I think: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...rders-of-trump

Comment

You've got to love the wrangling around MP's relationship with Trump. Almost too much assumption that Trump won't be gone in 18 months time which still remains a very real risk, pal up too much and the UK will find itself in a very tricky situation if the Dems take over again.

For all the awfulness that Trump is, he's a temporary thing be it for 1 year or 5 and politicians need to start remembering that the current political waters are going to change hard on them at some point.

The thing with Boris is, he's a character which helps him but he's also something of a coward. It's like the idea of him proroguing parliament and forcing No Deal etc, he talks it up a lot but I still don't think he'd do it. He's a career liar who will say that now to get the votes he needs to become PM but is he willing to immediately sacrifice his new position to force No Deal that way? I don't think he's the throwing his career on a sword type, if he becomes PM he'll want to remain it for as long as he can and that means backing down hard because of reasons he'll invent once the job is secure.

Comment

Working...
                                X