This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Election is GO :
    MPs approve the principle of a pre-Christmas poll but there is wrangling over the exact date.

The UK looks set for a December general election after Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn announced his party was ready to fight the "most radical campaign ever".

Mr Corbyn said his condition of taking a no-deal Brexit off the table had now been met after the EU agreed to extend the deadline until 31 January 2020.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson can only hold an election with the support of MPs - who have blocked it three times.

The PM will make a fresh attempt to get their backing in Parliament later.

The government bill published ahead of the Commons debate is for an early election on 12 December.

But the Scottish National Party and Liberal Democrats want a 9 December poll, saying it would prevent the prime minister from pushing his Brexit deal through Parliament.

No 10 sources have told the BBC they would accept 11 December to get opposition parties on-board - and they have agreed to put Brexit legislation on hold, for now.

Labour's Shadow Justice Secretary Richard Burgon said Labour wanted Mr Johnson "out before Christmas", but did not confirm his party's preferred poll date.

'Real change'
    Mr Corbyn was cheered by members of his top team, as he made his announcement at Labour's campaign headquarters in central London.

He said: "I have consistently said that we are ready for an election and our support is subject to a no-deal Brexit being off the table.

"We have now heard from the EU that the extension of Article 50 to 31 January has been confirmed, so for the next three months, our condition of taking no-deal off the table has now been met.

"We will now launch the most ambitious and radical campaign for real change our country has ever seen."

Mr Burgon said Labour would be pushing to get votes for 16 and 17-year-olds, as well as EU nationals so they can have their say.

But he added: "Even if we don't get those things we want, when push comes to shove, we are going to support an election."

However, not all Labour MPs are on board, with Ben Bradshaw saying it was a "bad mistake" and calling instead for another referendum on Brexit.

His fellow backbench MP, Barry Sheerman, tweeted that it was "sheer madness" to hold a December election "on Boris Johnson's agenda".

Commons votes
    Mr Johnson will later call on Parliament to support a general election for the fourth time since he took office in July. The first three times he put forward a motion under the Fixed-term Parliament Act, which needs the support of two-thirds of all 650 MPs to pass, but cannot be amended by those wanting to add their own conditions to an election.

This time - at around 13:30 GMT - Mr Johnson and his government will put forward a short bill calling for an election on 12 December and try to pass it through all its Commons' stages in one day.
    It will only need a majority of one to win, but unlike his other attempts, MPs could table amendments - such as a proposal to lower the voting age.

Comment

That the Lib Dems, Labour and SNP couldn't get their act together for a 2nd Ref and in any way think this will bring a happy ending. In a way it surmises what went wrong in the first Referendum, for all the criticism Leave sided aspects can fall under the Remain side of the coin remains utterly incompetent and useless at making its case.

Comment

I mean, man, the depression over having a GE. I cannot stand the sound of hearing MP's say it's time to have a GE to take Brexit back to the people in the most ironic statement given the objection to a second ref. It's literally the reason why a GE is the absolute worst method of addressing the issue. Expect the Tories to mandate all sorts of filthy awful stuff that people unwittingly support because they're too distracted using the vote as a referendum instead.

I do hope though that history doesn't clap Johnson on the back after Xmas 2020 when we slip into No Deal. He doesn't deserve the credit for delivering what May couldn't. The sterling, top tier work Sturgeon, Corbyn and Swinson have done to secure Brexit happens in the worst possible way is well worth ensuring full credit goes to them. Without their self-interested leadership some semblance of coordinated common sense may have prevailed during the last 3 and 3/4 years and steered the rudder the other way. Party before Country all the way to the gates of hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
          Party before Country all the way to the gates of hell.
          I don't think history is going to forget this part. Nobody comes out of this looking rosy.

Comment

Whether Brexit happens or not is now down to the electorate, not the party leaders. Don't want it, then vote for the LibDems, they couldn't make it more obvious than having a big "WE WILL STOP BREXIT" banner on their manifesto.

Comment

The papers and media are fully behind the torys so I expect them to get in again, and rub it in everyone's face. Technically they shouldn't because they didn't get enough last time, using the DUP to get them over the line, and this time around all the young people that were too young to vote in the referendum will have a vote this time round and are more likely to be remainers. However, this country is right leaning so it'll be a Tory win.

Comment

I'm in an extremely safe Labour seat, so my vote is effectively worthless. If anyone wants to buy it, send me literally any old game (except Tunnel B1) and I'll vote for whoever you like. Might as well get something out of it.

Comment

Calling it now - Labour will absolutely not repeat its 2017 vote surge and the youth vote will not turn out. I think for todays 18 year olds the views on Brexit are already less prominent than they were for those who were 18 in 2017 as they were 13/14 when the vote took place and so less likely to carry as much awareness of what it meant, more of the last 3 or so years talk being background noise. I'd have thought their views on what's important will increasingly swing towards the environment over Brexit and for that there's the Green Party who make no end result difference at all.

It just is the absolute worst possible way to deal with Brexit.

Comment

Got to love this. When asked if he would step down should Labour fail in the GE Corbyn has declined to say and instead said it's not about him.

1 - He won't have a bloody say in it. Labour loses this GE and his political career is over, they'll waste no time cutting him loose after such an utter failure from a GE that should have been in the bank by now. There's zero room for the party letting him self-harm their chances for another half a decade in the vain hope of finally being PM as he broaches his 80's.

2 - Saying it's not about him is laughable. Labours entire dire situation is because of the selfish ambition and delusion of Corbyn

Comment

Latest polling

YouGov, Tories drop a point, Survation Tories gain 2 points and new data from Ipsos Mori (from 28th Oct) which show 17 point Tory lead.

upload a picture

Overall average picture currently shows a Tory 11 point lead.

Plugging those figures into Electoral Calculus

Predicted seats ..

Predicted seat changes

2017 seats results

Last edited by MartyG; 31-10-2019, 15:35.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post

I can't believe how good the Tories are at Country Tetris.

Comment

Aha! So it's Nintendo's fault.

Comment

So a bunch of people in areas that have been bent over by the tories are loving the shafting so much they will vote for more? Swears removed because, lazy

Comment

Trump throws his support behind Johnson whilst simultaneously damaging the Tory Campaign by saying Johnson's deal is so bad it would block a trade deal being agreed with the US.

Farage begs the Tories to work with the Brexit Party again to the sound of rejection.

Comment

We're about to find out just how much of a factor the Brexit Party will be for the Tories

Comment

Working...
                                X