Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
      Pocky and Rocky. A tale of two biccies.

I have no idea what I'm on about
      Pocky: “I have even less chocolate than you, but what’s mine is yours.”

Rocky: “I… I don’t know what to say. Thank you.”

It’s like Aladdin giving his bread to those orphan kids

Comment

Cadbury's Creme Eggs, not had one in years but when I was a yoof we had various eating challenges and one was how many you could fit inside your mouth.
        It was taken seriously, no crushing and lips had to be completely closed and so on. Anyone taking on the challenge was scrutinised by all at extremely close quarters to make sure there was no leakage etc...

The big challenge was three, which was impossible to achieve by all accounts, everyone tried but a few kept practising limbering and stretching those cheeks.
        Then came the glorious day that one of our crew did it - what a sight we were belly laughing for a week.

Now, a newborn could probably manage a dozen.

Pah!.

Comment

PayPal now reserves the right to fine you £2500 if it deems something your write, state is discriminatory, or against its new TOC.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
            PayPal now reserves the right to fine you £2500 if it deems something your write, state is discriminatory, or against its new TOC.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/techn...b0264ac4715947
            I'm actually not so concerned or surprised. PayPal isn't a bank, despite the fact that many people treat it like one. They've always done this. It's infamous for seizing people's funds (entirely) when they see fit. Use it as much as you want, just never leave money in your account.

They also don't allow people to use PayPal for adult services, yet basically all of Patreon runs on it and a big chunk of that is supporting artists making erotica. Delicate situation that could stop literally tomorrow.
            Last edited by Asura; 10-10-2022, 06:52.

Comment

The official Sony Twitter account posts a detail of the Bloodborne cover asking "which Playstation cover are we zooming in on?", then deletes the tweet after more tha 3k replies.

Comment

Just social media filler content I think, seems they do this every week with a different game on the @Sony Twitter. The selection of Bloodborne is obviously tone deaf considering the demand for an update/sequel/whatever.

Comment

Job woes are even more bloody weird now - this sounds insane but I do have quite a lot of insider knowledge. This is basically a case of minor tinkering at a local level whilst something much bigger was coming from above. The position seems now that unless somebody else jumps forward, in a month I'll probably get promoted (with an interview that is more-or-less just a box ticking exercise). Finally, some recognition for my work all these years!

...and then early into 2023, I've about an 80% chance of facing redundancy along with the rest of the team as the employer does a desperate slash-and-burn exercise to plug an enormous budget deficit. As a pessimist who usually turns out to be right, I have to say I do at least appreciate the comic timing. I've been trying and failing to get a decent break for my entire life, so to receive it and then have it immediately snatched away is pretty much to be expected.

Oh well, at least I'll have more time to play Bonanza Bros on the Mega Drive (until the electric goes off).

Comment

Back to the old ‘Instagram is listening to me’ thing and Asura rushing in to tell me it’s coincidence or that it’s because of how well they know me, I have a new friend who I have been talking to and have had a few calls with over the last few days. She happens to share her name with a city in a part of the world I have never been to and have no connection to or interest in. You can see where this is going - Instagram is serving up tourism ads for this city. Obviously this is not profiling (men of my demographic didn’t suddenly just become interested in this city) and the chances of it being even the scraping of other info is pretty non-existent because in that case it would have enough context to know that me looking up her Instagram profile, for example, is not interest in the city of the same name. But it doesn’t know that. It’s just getting a new word that is coming up more regularly over the last few days and it is now throwing up ads that match that word.

That it’s getting it wrong is at least in some way comforting but it also says some things about how it’s not doing it.

Edit: of course now I’m realising a couple of those calls were on WhatsApp, which is Meta and where I have probably agreed for them to do what they like. I still do not like it. This cyberpunk future sucks.
                    Last edited by Dogg Thang; 27-10-2022, 06:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                      Edit: of course now I’m realising a couple of those calls were on WhatsApp, which is Meta and where I have probably agreed for them to do what they like. I still do not like it. This cyberpunk future sucks.
                      I'm nothing if not consistent, but yeah - they don't need to listen to you for that. If they're from a place in which you've shown no interest (and FB knows that), and suddenly they're in your contacts list and you've spoken to/texted them via WhatsApp, that would be enough to suggest you have an interest in that location. They might even push very specific things about that place which you've talked about; but generally most people, when recommending to visit a city or country, are going to recommend the same few things to the same sorts of people.

Comment

If you think Meta are just that good normally that you can explain away other perfect instances as good profiling and yet now they suddenly don’t know that profiles on their own systems are actually a person’s name, that’s just looking to twist things to fit your narrative.

Adding Asura’s responses to my irk about this topic.

Comment

EDIT: Removing as I don't want this to be my whole day.
                          Last edited by Asura; 27-10-2022, 08:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            I'm trying to be helpful given what I know about this topic.
                            But you’re not though. You’re endlessly jumping in to invalidate experiences we have been having for many years in complicated ways while trying to ignore the simple cause and effect I have been seeing: new discussed topic = new ad.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              You’re endlessly jumping in to invalidate experiences
                              I appreciate I've been doing that. I didn't intend to cause offence, but evidently I have, so I'll drop it. Please just know that it comes from a place of genuinely wanting to be helpful.

Comment

I think my tolerance of people in public areas is at an all-time low. My pre-work Cafe Nero time is starting to be disrupted by peeps consuming endless streams of NOISY content on their phones. It's inconsiderate however you look at it. I'm sat a few feet away reading a book ffs. And don't get me started on the behaviour of cinema-goers these days

Comment

Working...
                                X