This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by randombs View Post
    I’d get distracted during the games thinking about all those who died - DIED, FFS - so that some idiot king could show off the stadiums he had built with but the wave of a hand.
    One death would be too many, but 6500 is an insane number!

Comment

Elon has sent the remaining team at Twitter an email:

As someone who's worked in QA for over 2 decades on Games, Software, Apps and backend infrastructure, I don't even agree with his vision for Twitter nor what they can be. Let alone the human cost of what he wants.

Work will set you free... Like **** it will.

Second time now I've questioned why I'm on Twitter now.

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post

As someone who's worked in QA for over 2 decades on Games, Software, Apps and backend infrastructure, I don't even agree with his vision for Twitter nor what they can be. Let alone the human cost of what he wants.

This is the difference though between a company with a completely nonsensical valuation due to, well whatever they’ve been doing at twitter, vs its now actually got to make some money and, oh big shock it’s actually really worth F all because it was actually haemorrhaging cash all this time.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
          This is the difference though between a company with a completely nonsensical valuation due to, well whatever they’ve been doing at twitter, vs its now actually got to make some money and, oh big shock it’s actually really worth F all because it was actually haemorrhaging cash all this time.
          The issue with Twitter is how it’s been run and it’s ability to make cash. That rests on management and advertising. Still it’s valuation and potential is huge.

That has little to do with Elon now instilling awful working practises in the company and driving people hard. All IMO of course.

Comment

Is Twitters potential really all that? Alphabet haven't figured out how to make YouTube profitable yet. People are used to getting everything on the internet for free. More advertising will put people off. I know a fair few people that have ditched Twitter since the takeover. Adverts aren't likely to lure them back.

Comment

Elon is a dick but maybe this is a wake up call. The internet has been becoming ever more broken for years now as it’s advertising driven due to CMcK’s accurate assessment that people think everything on the internet (and by extension, their smartphone) should be free.

How can twitter be valued that high when at any point a competitor could wipe it off the face of the earth in days? As has happened to tech many times already. Its value is the meat that can be advertised to and if they go, that’s it.

Closed toxic communities, reinforcing extreme beliefs, convincing young people that eating disorders are cool (ignore your parents, we’re your friends, throwing up food is fine if you do it the way we tell you).

Overall the internet is a force for no good.

Comment

The Internet is a perfect example of Humanity. It's capable of such good and also extreme bad.
                The problem lies in its ability to be very insidious and serreptitious. You'd tell someone to **** off if they knocked on your door with racist comments, but a twitter feed that has a racist comment every 30 comments will just slowly work under your skin.

Comment

Twitter has become a glorious ****show example of how little Musk actually knows about business. Unlike Tesla etc he can't hide behind the successes of others, he's singularly under the spotlight and he's a walking failure at management. There are always new social media platforms, Twitter was already one of the longer toothed platforms thanks to how fast the market moves and he's destroyed trust in it. It's a slow death spiral from here on out. The next time he tries to buy a company he'll probably crash its stock price just through the fear of it going through

Comment

The issue with Twitter is how it’s been run and it’s ability to make cash. That rests on management and advertising. Still it’s valuation and potential is huge.

That has little to do with Elon now instilling awful working practises in the company and driving people hard. All IMO of course.
                    He’s having to install god awful work practices because the company simply wasn’t profitable before hand, most of these big tech companies are basically Ponzi schemes, investment after investment after investment propping up dead ducks that bleed cash left and right.

But but potential!! I hear you say, no, just no, potential doesn’t equal sales, without sales you don’t have cash flow and you can’t keep the lights on. You can have all the “users” on the planet, if their not spending money then its all pointless, be that via buying a product or subscriptions.

But advertising! Again, no, it doesn’t work, no one wants to see an advert cluttering up their phone screen when they just want to chat crap and post funny gifs. Genuine business are getting wise to this fact, engagement on adverts on any social media is virtually zero from genuine users, its just a waste of hard earned money.

-Twitter generated $5 billion revenue in 2021, an 35% increase year-on-year
                    -92% of Twitter’s revenue came from advertising in 2021
                    -Twitter posted a net loss of $221 million in 2021, an 80% reduction on the $1.1 billion loss it reported in 2020

A loss of 221m last financial year, a loss, so where the F did a valuation of 40b come from?
                    Even if you said it was (generously) worth 3.5x its revenue of last year, so 15b, with it making a loss you’ll never ever see that 15b back on a purchase. With it making a loss of that much they should be bankrupt and consigned to history as a failed experiment.
                    Last edited by fishbowlhead; 17-11-2022, 07:34.

Comment

The best thing from that link you posted, is the tweet that the chap made that shows how folks like Musk use the skills, brilliance and as much of the available time of the day of technical folks to make themselves rich.

The wording (in the email Musk sent -Ed) of what to expect describes a startup that is up against the world. Eg what you’d describe to early employees getting lots of equity.

In reality, you’d work for the world’s richest man, with the most equity. Unclear what equity employees get.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                        He’s having to install god awful work practices because the company simply wasn’t profitable before hand, most of these big tech companies are basically Ponzi schemes, investment after investment after investment propping up dead ducks that bleed cash left and right.
                        I totally get your point on estimated worth vs real cash profit and offer no counter point there. I agree too many companies are relying on stupid investors needing to get rid of their dirty money and offer a business that looks fancy with tech none of the old white guys understand, so it's sold on promise, and promise alone. One of the old companies I worked for (When they purchased us) was very much in the same mould; Get investment on board Q1 / Q2 / Q3 / Q4 and keep spening on buying compnaies, while not actually brining in the cash. So I'm very aware of what doesn't work long term.

But I disagree that Elon has to install ****ty work values in order for them to make money. Plenty of public and private companies can easily flesh out an idea, develop it and make it work for profit or for the people, without resorting to what Elon is now doing.

On that note:

It comes amid reports that large numbers of workers have resigned from the social media platform.

Comment

Seeing as it’s new Pokémon day I took my niece and nephew into town after school for a wee treat. My niece picked Violet and the wee man got FIFA 23. Charging an extra tenner for the PS5 edition over the PS4 is taking the pi**. I noticed it was the same for the new Call of Doody too. Sony are really milking it this generation.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                            Seeing as it’s new Pokémon day I took my niece and nephew into town after school for a wee treat. My niece picked Violet and the wee man got FIFA 23. Charging an extra tenner for the PS5 edition over the PS4 is taking the pi**. I noticed it was the same for the new Call of Doody too. Sony are really milking it this generation.
                            Wouldn't prices be set by the publisher and not Sony, for 3rd party titles?

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                              Wouldn't prices be set by the publisher and not Sony, for 3rd party titles?
                              Probably but I don’t know if the royalty rate would increase with that so higher prices are in Sony’s interests.

Comment

Was driving into Kleve today and had some dickhead hardman (probably around 15/16yo) take his sweet time when crossing the road, in a purposeful attempt to slow me down (you know the type, the UK is rife with these ****ers). Only I never slow down for these ***** because I’m the wrong **** you want to challenge in a stupidity contest. Only I’m driving the Tesla now and it did an emergency stop thing, so he won.
                                Last edited by dataDave; 19-11-2022, 20:45.

Comment

Working...
                                X