Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Local news websites are the worst for ads, they're practically unusable.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
      A related example is how everyone bitches about YouTube ads, with YT being one of the most popular and useful websites on the internet and, for all its flaws, one of the best things the information age has produced - but rather than just pay the price of a couple of KFC meals for YouTube premium, people instead either complain about the ads or get into the adblocker arms race.
      I think £12 every month is an outrageous amount to pay just to stop YouTube ads.

Comment

Some people expect everything for nothing. I think it's less about tolerating advertising and more about 21st century attention spans wanting content to start immediately, not in 10-15 seconds time!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          I think £12 every month is an outrageous amount to pay just to stop YouTube ads.
          Fair play; I do think it should be closer to a fiver. But I rationalise it as that I use it easily 4x as much as Netflix, which costs around the same.

Comment

Someone is paying for Netflix? I thought we were all just borrowing a password.

Comment

They can have the ads, they should just ban 2-3 minute long unskippable ones

Comment

They can have ads. We just shouldn’t have to see them.

Comment

I had a YouTube ad a few months back that was something insane like 45 minutes, some kind of roundtable discussion. It could be skipped, but it was annoying to have to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                    They can have ads. We just shouldn’t have to see them.
                    Then pay!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      The problem is we can’t really put a price on it beyond voting with our wallets. They might have pulled £12 out of their arses but we just don’t know.

Also, you get to download videos and watch them in the background. Granted, those features are similar to PS+ and XBL monthly games (a sweetener for users paying to support the online infrastructure) but you also get YouTube Music included.

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      Some people expect everything for nothing. I think it's less about tolerating advertising and more about 21st century attention spans wanting content to start immediately, not in 10-15 seconds time!!!!
                      I was wondering about this recently when I was cringing at a website that was sticking SEO phrases into its articles. It’s interesting how I’ll Google something, click a link to a random website to read about that thing, and then just close the tab and go on with my day like the internet is Encarta 95.

Despite being old enough to understand the value of things, I also take for granted that all these websites just happen to be there and don’t consider their running costs.

I also find it quaint how many people threaten to sail the high seas in protest against YouTube ads or Netflix subs going up, not considering the stuff they’ll pirate wouldn’t have been made otherwise.

Interesting times…

Comment

The issue isn't really the cost of Youtube premium, it's the number of things that require a subscription. You gotta pick and choose. If it was just me I'd ditch netflix to pay for youtube.

Comment

I just pay for Netflix when I want to watch a few different shows. For example, I cancelled my last subscription just after season 1 of Stranger things had ended. I'd had my fill and was happy.
                          Only last week I started a new subscription so I can watch the Witcher and the Cyberpunk anime. Once done, I'll cancel again until something else tickles my fancy.
                          I have no issue at all paying for short term subs because I'm getting a lot of entertainment for the 1900 yen or whatever it is for the month.
                          I would recommend this to anyone who has a long running sub but only watches stuff so they feel they're getting value for their money, not because they actually want to watch.

Comment

Yeah, we’ve been thinking about that, too. Specifically, Hulu cos we watch that the least.

Disney+ is my favourite because it has stuff like Scrubs and Always Sunny but I’m the only one who uses it.

Comment

What does Hulu have, following the Disney/Fox merger? I half-expected the service to close.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                                What does Hulu have, following the Disney/Fox merger? I half-expected the service to close.
                                I kind of wish they would roll all the Hula stuff into Disney UK, Their seems to be no consistency with hula content, take the following Hula exclusives The old man is on Disney plus in the UK as is The only murders in the building. but The Great is on channel 4 in the uk and Palm springs got a release a year after it came out on hula into prime video. Then you have things like Our Flag means death which came out on hula last year and still hasn't made it to the UK.

Comment

Working...
                                X