X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy a headset anarl!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      I'm finding it hard to really know how much to be concerned about it. We've had so much media hype about the latest diseases that we're in a Boy Who Cried Wolf scenario but the thing about that story is that there was eventually a wolf. Is this the wolf? I don't know. Are all these cancelled events being a bit ridiculous or should we be locking things down much more? Thing is, here in Ireland we had an opportunity to do a total lockdown and contain it but we're rubbish for just shrugging our shoulders and carrying on as normal - it is the way of our country, it seems.

And now the really important questions are starting to arise - BTS playing in London in July but if I spend loads on tickets and flights and accommodation and it gets cancelled, I likely won't get the flight and accommodation costs back. So do I risk it? What's funny is that there is also an industry event on in July and I am willing it to be cancelled so I can just stay at home this year. I'd actually love a lockdown year... except for missing my seven angels play in July.

But really, I don't know how bad this is at all. I don't know how much is hype and how much is a genuine concern. All I know is that people panic-buying toilet roll rather than food are hilarious.

At the end of the day, its the flu, this world wide panic over the whole thing is obviously some elaborate April fools i don't get.

Comment

Wait until you get Pneumonia.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
          At the end of the day, its the flu, this world wide panic over the whole thing is obviously some elaborate April fools i don't get.
          I wouldn't take it lightly, China didn't cripple their own economy for nothing. I also think a ton of countries are struggling far worse than what they are letting on.

Comment

This is a really good video about the virus. Basically the government isn't doing enough.

Comment

All my mates work at the hosp. And nobody's off sick or dead (yet?) and you'd think *someone* would have it by now?

Anyhow, that's not concerning me. It might be cos I watched a vid about Conan O' Brien meeting Hideo Kojima and being given a cameo in DEATH STRANDING.

Anyway, I now get recommended vids from 'Lilly Singh'...and she's pure cringe. Jesus. She may be very pretty but by god, it's the worst 'comedy' I've ever seen! Who is she and how did she get a show???!!!

Having said all that, she's so cringe you kinda wanna watch for the cringe factor...which is strong with this one. See it to believe it!

Comment

[MENTION=2561]fishbowlhead[/MENTION]: it's not the flu, not yet. It's a zoonotic virus, thus it has jumped the species barrier and infected us - thus it is a disease to which human beings have no resistance to (yet), hence the mortality rate. Eventually it will be endemic in the population and everyone who has recovered from it will have some level of resistance to it, even when it mutates.
                Flu has a mortality rate of 0.1% (and that has partly effective vaccines), this has a mortality rate of 1% or 2% depending on who you listen to (CDC vs UK Ministry of Health). That's 10 to 20 times greater. Conservative estimates for worldwide deaths from flu per year is 200,000. Multiply that by 10 or 20 and you have millions of deaths this year. That's pretty shocking.

The unusual situation is that viruses like the flu attack the old, the young and the sick, but this coronavirus only gives children mild symptoms. Perhaps, this will do away with the boomers and Gen X'ers like me (with hypertension) and house prices will fall!

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
                  this has a mortality rate of 1% or 2%
                  As Neon Ignition mentions in another thread, it's now at 3.48%. And it's important to look at not just who is dying because the number of people in serious or critical condition is pretty huge. Do you want to be one of those people? And if you are in serious condition and are cared for, sure, you could pull through. But now in Italy healthcare workers are being told to prioritise the young who have the best chance of survival - we could hit a situation where you might once have pulled through but, due to stretched resources, you won't.

None of that is good. And it's far beyond flu figures now. Even using the flu as an example, one thing people often miss is that, yes, there are major risk factors and not many of us are in those high-risk groups but people outside of those high-risk groups still can get very ill and can still die. Your chances are reduced but they aren't gone. I know someone my age, pretty healthy guy, who almost died of the flu about three years ago and was in hospital for three months, some of that in a coma. From the flu. Which is crazy. So I don't even underestimate the flu. Going by the figures including those in and outside risk groups, this is a good deal worse.

Comment

There are a number of countries who haven't even released figures about this yet. Russia for one. As a huge country that borders China I would expect them to be suffering from this pretty badly.

Comment

Yep. I think they have said there have been only something like 20 cases in Russia so far. I don't believe it for a second.

I read a twitter thread by a doctor in Italy and it made for pretty horrifying reading. Basically the message was - yeah okay, I get why you don't want people to panic but we're well beyond the point of telling people it's all okay because it's clearly not okay.

Still, I joined the BTS fan club to get a chance at early tickets for the gig in July so everything's going to be fine.
                      Last edited by Dogg Thang; 10-03-2020, 10:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                        Yep. I think they have said there have been only something like 20 cases in Russia so far. I don't believe it for a second.
                        Heh, Putin could be actually dead and we won't find out until 2025.

Comment

Trump would be publicly mourning if that were true

Comment

Anyone else suddenly drawn to reading The Stand, playing the boardgame Pandemic or watching Contagion?

I don't think I am...

Contagion shows the lengths people go to watch a movie they can’t stream

Comment

People stockpiling new freezers in order to stockpile food: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51816316

Comment

As someone who can barely fit a week’s shopping in their house, I can relate to that.

Comment

Working...
                                X