This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Karen
    I see this used a lot on Era and to be honest the more normalised the term becomes the more it becomes irritating. Imagine being called Karen, not being a racist bigot but your name becomes the accepted meme definition of one. Let alone if it spreads and becomes permanent and you're job hunting.

Comment

EDIT: Gonna remove that I was joking, but realised it might've seemed a bit harsh.
      Last edited by Asura; 21-04-2021, 13:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
        Karen
        I see this used a lot on Era and to be honest the more normalised the term becomes the more it becomes irritating. Imagine being called Karen, not being a racist bigot but your name becomes the accepted meme definition of one. Let alone if it spreads and becomes permanent and you're job hunting.
        Seems like a north american thing. Not always racist I though, but on the extreme side of white privilege.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
          Seems like a north american thing. Not always racist I though, but on the extreme side of white privilege.
          Definitely used in the UK, too. I've heard plenty of people use it in the last few years.

Comment

Treasure Champs on Cbeebies. It presents a really complex subject like Honesty and then uses a Bible story as an example. Because the Bible is the best possible place to explain anything to kids.

Comment

The BBC are bringing religion into children’s tv?

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                The BBC are bringing religion into children’s tv?
                That program seems to be the only one, but it really rubs me up the wrong way.

Comment

It has no place. Bad enough that it’s still in schools but I guess you can opt your kid out of that if you wanted to (probably more trouble than it’s worth though). Is it just Christian stuff or do they talk about other religions and no faith?

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                    It has no place. Bad enough that it’s still in schools but I guess you can opt your kid out of that if you wanted to (probably more trouble than it’s worth though). Is it just Christian stuff or do they talk about other religions and no faith?
                    90% Bible stories. They might throw something else in there from another religion as a token. It's treated like it's all factually true. My daughter will often ask me about Jesus after it's been on.

Comment

I used to work with Jesus, I think he was originally from Guatemala before moving to Canada.

Comment

I'll teach my kids that the missing page from the Bible story from Dwarf is true:

"To my darling Candy, all characters contained within are ficitious and any similarities to people or events is purely coincidental"

Comment

The news fussing about E-Scooters. It really isn't a complicated issue when it comes to bicycles, e-scooters etc. It's simply the Government not having the cahones to do the inevitable.

Comment

Bicycles et al should not be allowed to ride on pedestrian pavements. I'm fed up of cyclists swerving all over the place and almost knocking me / my kids over because they think the pavement is a shortcut for them!

Anybody on a bicycle should have to wear a helmet. Any cyclist who does not wear a helmet should be fined the price of a helmet. No limit on the number of times they can be fined.

Don't want a fine? Buy a ****ing helmet!!

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                              Anybody on a bicycle should have to wear a helmet. Any cyclist who does not wear a helmet should be fined the price of a helmet. No limit on the number of times they can be fined.

Don't want a fine? Buy a ****ing helmet!!
                              Why? If someone falls off and cracks their dead, so what? Or maybe there's a case to be made that anyone who ventures out of doors should be made to wear one in case they trip up?

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                                Bicycles et al should not be allowed to ride on pedestrian pavements. I'm fed up of cyclists swerving all over the place and almost knocking me / my kids over because they think the pavement is a shortcut for them!
                                As a commuter cyclist, cyclists who don't follow the rules are my irk, and not a little one either. I especially hate seeing cyclists decide whether they want to be on the road or not based purely on whether they pass traffic lights on green.

I understand cyclists' frustrations, because motorists can be a real pain, often casually giving you **** for literally no good reason. But that doesn't excuse people doing stuff like this.

Comment

Working...
                                X