Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was good at the subjects I liked, but bad at the subjects I didn’t.

One A, five B’s, three C’s and a D. It has a rhythm so I still remember it after all these years.

A in Art
    B’s in double Science, Maths, CDT and Resident Evil
    C’s in English, Spanish and History
    D in Geography

Also got an E in English Lit but it ruined the rhythm so I left it out.

I’m quite proud of the A for Art. The exam was 2x5 hour sessions. The theme was beauty and I decided to subvert it by making a piece about destruction. So cool! I realised by the end of the first session that was a stupid idea so the next day I walked into the exam, threw everything away and started from scratch.

My Art teacher went a shade of white we’d never been taught about in the lessons but I got down to work, yadda yadda yadda, and got that A.

It was all downhill from there, though: I got a D and E in my A-Levels so had to do a foundation course to get into uni(which I actually did very well in), then I got a pass for my Physics degree.

These days I’m failing miserably to squeeze a CCNA into my brain cells.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
      Wish I'd known about this parents paying money for results crap when I did my exams. I got 6-A's and all I got was a talking to about why I got no A*'s

That’s because your a failure you got no A*’s, now go and do them all again, tares results up and throws them at you. 😁.
      Last edited by fishbowlhead; 13-08-2021, 05:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        That’s a deep cut right there. Going to be reading every one of your posts now wondering if I can trace the roots of it back to this. Honestly though, it’s amazing how much the pressure of those exam years can partly define us forever regardless of the actual results.
        It's fine. We had the fight about it about 10 years later and it's long since past. But I'm not gonna lie; it was a real sore spot for a while.

Comment

I'm amazed that you guys can all remember your GCSE results with such precision. I can't remember mine at all.

Comment

I just wish that someone had told me back in the day that unless you're pursuing a specific career path with set requirements the vast majority of your school, college and at times University qualifications fall under the categorisation 'no-one gives a ****' in the working world.

So much stress kids go through and in the end contacts, experience and brown nosing decide 99% of it all.

Comment

You are correct for most careers, especially creative fields or coding. I teach CS A Level so try to explain that to my students. Most still want the formal qualification, which is more a rite of passage I guess, but employers will still give them the same employment tests as a self taught guy in india.

The results here are all good for anyone who did their exams close to year 2000 (most here Id imagine). Nowadays these results are average to bad unfortunately. Grade inflation is real.
              Last edited by cutmymilk; 13-08-2021, 09:26.

Comment

i did my gcse's in 1995, i got lots of Unclassified and was only aloud to sit 4 exams so i didn't bring the school averages down. For me school was pointless as it felt like if you didn't thrive in core subjects then you where pretty much left behind across the board. I still think i have dyslexia that Ive learned to cope with, often i will go to write one letter and write others instead or write letters backwards, I have to really concentrate on writing and find it really tricky to copy things down like when writing addresses on parcels ect, despite this I really enjoyed college and uni and went on to get a degree in Graphic Design, computers helped a lot and i don't think i would have got my dissertation done without one.
                Last edited by Lebowski; 13-08-2021, 10:54.

Comment

I could of skipped school it was that useless to me. Im dyslexic (number blind) maths was nigh impossible for me and i still struggle adding in my head to this day so that made things hard from infant-secondary school as its a big subject, failed maths completely and had to resist my gcse in it at college. Science & English i was fine in, BB in both of those. Geography i failed due to Phantasy star online on the Dreamcast (I regret nothing).

I went on to college to study HTML and was straight A’s.

Didn’t bother with Uni.

Being dyslexic i find i have to work 10x harder than everyone else it seems, so taught me valuable life lessons very quickly, nothing is a given, determination is everything. I manage to run a business just fine so clearly none of it ever did me any harm.

Comment

Double A* in Science, A in maths, B in most other things and an E for RE because I could not give a ****.
                    As for Physics and Chemistry at A-level, B in Pure Maths and Applied Maths.
                    ****ed it all up at uni at 18-20.
                    Back at uni at 31.

Hard work wins out, and sadly who you know does still make a difference.

Comment

O'Levels for me, (GCSEs arrived a few years later)

B in Maths and Physics
                      C in Biology
                      E in Geography and Art (and anything else I can't remember)
                      F in English Language
                      U in English Literature

So, only 2 passes really.

Comment

Originally posted by wheelaa View Post

Edit - that picture...

****, lost the gold.
                        Yay, got the silver.
                        Gotta pee in a cup...****...
                        Yay, got the silver.
                        Picturing a tiebreaker where they have to wee into a cup across the room.

Most in the cup wins 🏅

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                          O'Levels for me, (GCSEs arrived a few years later
                          Me as well, A in history which I enjoyed. Failed my other two I think it was.

Rest were CSE's, got a 1 in maths only because it was a special paper which had no algebra for numpties like me.
                          Failed all the others.
                          Fact was I hated school from the first day as a five year old until I left. My mum picked up my results as I was already in work, which as soon as I started I loved the workplace.

Comment

I can confirm that employers don't care about GCSE results, because I've lied about mine consistently ever since I left school. Only one of them ever wanted evidence of them so I just searched online to see what it looked like and printed it out on some nice paper I got from Staples.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              Picturing a tiebreaker where they have to wee into a cup across the room.

Most in the cup wins ��
                              His cup overfloweth.

Comment

2 As - English Language, Media Studies
                                5 Bs - Maths, English Lit, Double Science (2 grades), German
                                2 Cs - History, Graphics
                                1 D - Business

Comment

Working...
                                X