Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I think that’s where I’d land. And those latching onto her rather than the wider community of experts and scientific bodies are just trying to grab hold of anything that might confirm what they want rather than reflect any need. Honestly, some of the things being written on the danger of lockdown versus danger of very infectious virus are paper thin.

Comment

Now the Government's former Chief Scientific Advisor has said the lifting of restrictions is 'extraordinarily risky' and that he doesn't believe anyone from a scientific angle could make a case for the move to be a wise one. When asked if he believed the Government was acting against scientific advice he said 'this is definitely a political decision' saying it makes no sense from a scientific or economical standpoint.

Additionally Health Leaders have penned an open letter warning of the 'real risk' the UK is now open to from a Second Wave.

Comment

I can't say I completely agree with Professor Gupta, but it is insane that people aren't receiving their normal ongoing checkups and having operations knocked back for months for things like cancer.

Comment

On that, I totally agree. On lockdown, people can’t be abandoned to fend for themselves. This is about a government’s responsibility to care for its people and, in many cases (not limited to the UK - and I don’t mean that to try to excuse the UK, only to acknowledge that I’m also living somewhere where I think support wasn’t good enough), that’s just not happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
            I can't say I completely agree with Professor Gupta, but it is insane that people aren't receiving their normal ongoing checkups and having operations knocked back for months for things like cancer.
            This still gets my back up massively I can't believe cancer treatments were put on hold & operations cancelled, it's an absolute farce & if a member of my family had died due to having a form of cancer & them removing the life extending treatment they required I would have absolutely no hesitation in taking them to cleaners over it.

Neil

Comment

It's another hallmark for how little effort the government made to plan anything. It's been staggering throughout the whole thing as to how many countries have been so inept in their handling of a scenario that isn't a new concept and was a real threat (and will likely happen again in future). They've been lucky that it wasn't something much more deadly doing the rounds. Ensuring life saving treatments etc are maintained should have been one of the very first considerations.

That and not havign heavily pregnant nurses working on the front line.

Comment

What if due to compromised immunity from cancer treatment they caught Covid-19 and died due to the complications caused by those deficiencies?

They didn't stop all treatments and it's a balancing act as to which is worst case - they didn't do it "just because".
                Last edited by MartyG; 24-06-2020, 08:50.

Comment

They didn't stop everything, but they did stop a substantial amount and we were already in a position where we had an enormous backlog where people were dying because they couldn't get treatment in time.

Comment

Which I'd suggest is all the more reason for not unduly re-opening the country on 4th of July thus compounding an existing problem.

Comment

The Health Leaders open letter has now called for an urgent review from the Government to ensure preparations are in place for the Second Wave.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                        Staying locked away ad infinitum will not work we all know the economy is crippled but locking us all away for the foreseeable future isn't the answer to any of it, people who want to get out & return to normal can do & those who want to stay away can, no one is forcing anyone to adopt these new lockdown easings, everyone is free to do what they feel comfortable with now
                        Not true. The easings result in people having to decide if they want to go to work or potentially lose their jobs. Not everyone can work from home.

Comment

I'd like a return to normality. Not sure how I can when I'm told if I catch it, I will be ask risk of complications.

It's terrifying.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            Not true. The easings result in people having to decide if they want to go to work or potentially lose their jobs. Not everyone can work from home.
                            Understand your comments totally & that's an issue which is entirely beyond any poor employees control & as you say no one should really be forced to return to an environment they aren't comfortable in but Employers are rarely reasonable when it comes to their bottom line & their own pockets

Neil

Comment

You're missing his point. When the government tells everyone they can get back to work, even many of those employers don't have a choice because they can't avail of any government schemes that should be in place to protect them, or insurance or anything like that. They are told they are on their own - get out there and open your business even if it means you get infected or infect many others, or starve. I'm sure there are many employers about to do the wrong thing right now but this is a failure of government. And the idea that nobody is forcing people to anyone to adopt the easings is flat out wrong because it throws them at the mercy of the economy rather than the protection of government.

This graphic has been going around Twitter and I checked and, sure enough, it's based on a real graphic from May or earlier and it shows pretty clearly what's actually happening:

Comment

I bet the Government of today is absolutely rueing the Government of March/April that set Furlough up to run till October

Comment

Working...
                                X