Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This whole thing with Leicester just feels weird to me. You can't tell me that the government actually gives a **** about the wellbeing of the people in Leicester.
    Its like they feel they need to set an example to juxtapose rolling back the lockdown so rapidly.

Comment

The lockdown area needs to be a lot wider to dissuade people from just popping down the road. Looks like people in the centre could be somewhere in 20 minutes, but I don't live there so can't say for sure.

Comment

What's Leicesters closest castle? They're about to get a lot of eye tests.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
          What's Leicesters closest castle? They're about to get a lot of eye tests.
          That would be Belvoir Castle (pronounced Beaver) or possibly Rockingham Castle (actually yes, Rockingham is closer, I thought Belvoir was nearer to the Leicester borders but clearly not looking at Google Maps).
          Last edited by MartyG; 01-07-2020, 06:41.

Comment

Kirby Muxloe Castle is nearer. Not much of a castle, tbh, but only a quarter mile from the pestilential boundary and conveniently near The Royal Oak for any weary traveler wishing to rest their eyes: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ki...6!4d-1.2270769
            Last edited by Golgo; 01-07-2020, 10:02.

Comment

So, it's being widely reported another 36 areas may be at risk of local lockdown due to rising Covid-19 cases.

The balancing act between the lives lost due to C19 / lives lost due to lockdown measures / lives lost due to economic woes...assuming they are even considerations in any strategy...so depressing.

The areas reported (multiple sources)

1. Barking and Dagenham
              2. Brent
              3. Derbyshire
              4. Doncaster
              5. Ealing
              6. Enfield
              7. Gateshead
              8. Gloucestershire
              9. Hammersmith & Fulham
              10. Haringey
              11. Harrow
              12. Havering
              13. Hounslow
              14. Isle of Wight
              15. Kensington & Chelsea
              16. Leicester
              17. Medway
              18. Milton Keynes
              19. Plymouth
              20. Portsmouth
              21. Redbridge
              22. Redcar & Cloveland
              23. Richmond upon Thames
              24. Sandwell
              25. Slough
              26. Suffolk
              27. Sunderland
              28. Tower Hamlets
              29. Wakefield
              30. Walsall
              31. Wandsworth
              32. Westminster
              33. Wigan
              34. Wiltshire
              35. Windsor & Maidenhead
              36. York

Stay safe peeps!

Edit - I should add that this list is just one of places where cases are rising, and is an oft-repeated list in various new outlets at present. I can find nothing official, so far, about any future lockdowns, and there are other areas where cases are increasing.
              Last edited by wheelaa; 01-07-2020, 11:06.

Comment

Top five, baby! Someone shared the same news with me last night but on further probing the list came from the Sun, and I failed to find anywhere else backing it up. Now I would never dare to accuse a man of such a heinous crime, but where did you get yours from?

Comment

Originally posted by wheelaa View Post
                  The balancing act between the lives lost due to C19 / lives lost due to lockdown measures / lives lost due to economic woes.
                  Lives lost due to lockdown measures? Where? Due to economic woes? Where?

This narrative is entirely false equivalency. Covid is an infectious disease that can kill people and, if it doesn't kill them, it can leave them damaged. It can spread exponentially through a population. Now we know we can contain it and that's a choice. And if you get it, there is a national health service set up to make sure you're treated because that's how a country should work - it looks after its people. Lockdown deaths? This is not infectious. Not exponential and I'm not even convinced it's real (tweets going around claiming suicides jumped to 200% turned out to be entirely false). Lives lost to economic woes? Again, not seeing that yet. Lockdown is certainly unpleasant. And there are people who need assistance to even be able to live properly doing it. Economic woes could grow to be an absolutely massive problem... except, like when you get covid, both of these things should result in aid by the government, just as you get with the NHS. Any suffering from these things is preventable and, right now, nothing like covid. Putting these things in the same sentence is false equivalency. Tens of thousands of people have died in the UK during the lockdown (so without it would have been far worse). The same can't be said for 'deaths due to lockdown' during that same period.

Now if you wanted to frame it as a balancing act between lives lost due to covid and keeping people wealthy, I'd be entirely with you. As far as I can see, that's what's happening.

Comment

Alphabetical Fuse! Think I first saw this via The Telegraph a couple of days back and it seems to have gathered traction in most places. I assume there is a gov stat site with regional data somewhere but being honest I can't see anywhere official where I am able to drill so far down into the figures.

I hope(d) my caveat is(was) enough, but yeah, pinch of salt.

Stay safe regardless!
                    Last edited by wheelaa; 01-07-2020, 11:34. Reason: Typo

Comment

Sad yet hilarious at the same time...

Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I have my doubts about whether any of that happened.

Comment

Yeah, I get a strong whiff of Jimmy Hill reading that. He’s mates with the mayor and some random couple’s son’s boss is ringing him up and laughing about the son. Who he’s never met. Of course.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              I have my doubts about whether any of that happened.
                              I believe every word of it.

Comment

Bradford, Barnsley and Rochdale emerge as new COVID hotspots

As the UK death rate rises for the second day in a row to 176

Comment

Working...
                                X