Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wore a mask to Tesco yesterday and my goodness what a grim experience that was. Sweat was literally running down my face after 10 minutes and for whatever reason the mask was continually riding up over my eyes. I always made a point never to touch my face when shopping but yesterday I was all over it continually trying to adjust the damn mask so it was slightly less uncomfortable. The shop was completed in record time and the mask ripped off the moment I left the store. Never again.

As soon as I got back I booked a Tesco online delivery for next weekend. I shan't be going into any shops until the mask thing is over. I appreciate it's there for the staff and for vulnerable people, but for me, I'm sticking resolutely to online for the foreseeable.

Comment

Wish I could do the same.

Same here with the sweating. I walk a mile to get to the Tesco I use so in summer weather I'm already hot before going in. Adding a mask makes my face sweat and my glasses slip down my nose even more than usual.

Normal practice for me is to use my shoulder to push them back up so I do not contaminate my freshly cleaned hands but with the mask on you tend to push that up as well. Try the same technique for getting that back in place and you soon give up and use your hands instead.

Short of using the sterile wipes, which I carry, every time to re-clean your hands you're practically forced to accept your now compromised hygeine.
      Last edited by fallenangle; 26-07-2020, 12:51.

Comment

My eldest kid used to not want to wear her raincoat even when it was lashing. On the surface it seemed totally irrational of course and, yes, it was but it was also an attempt to exert some control in a situation in which she felt she had no control. She would come up with all kinds of excuses and then act out when we were actually out in the rain, in spite of it making things worse for herself. Anyway, she grew out of that very quickly and she’s a sensible kid all things considered and also I’m glad I’m not your parent.

Comment

I'm not questioning anybody's experience but I've never seen masks make anybody sweat. Maybe a bit damp from breathing.

Others have made it some kind of weird issue of freedom and refuse to wear one no matter what.

Comment

To be fair, given it’s pretty hot right now, I’d say if you were brought up as a nudist and had never worn any clothes in your entire life ever and now had to wear a mask and that mask was made from that wool they make jumpers from for places like the Outer Hebrides, I can see someone really feeling the difference in heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
              Breathe down means breathe down. Make the air come out of your mouth in a downward direction. Do you have control of your jaw muscles and can you move your lips? If you can then you can breathe down and your glasses won’t steam up. I wear glasses and have been doing this for 4 months as I’ve never been into a shop without a mask on since day one.
              The breathing skill takes time to master, doesn't always work perfectly but being mindful of it sooner certainly helps. It was not something I was taught on the job or my nursing training but essential as my first month or 2 I was steaming up my protective goggles all the freaking time.

Another mask wearing tip - DONT chew mints/ gum with menthol in and wear one unless it has a tight seal or you will breath that **** right into your eyes. I thought I was being smart having some Smints before work doing this as no matter how well you brush your teeth you are going to have breath smell soon when wearing a mask all day, stung like a bitch! When I wasn't talking to anyone it was ok after I realised my mistake but yeah be careful

I've been mostly wearing paper masks, sometimes better ones but 90% of the time I have been in my local corner shop and 100% when anywhere crowded or shops I have worn one. Now with the new rules of needing one I decided I should get around making some. I still prefer to have paper ones but cloth ones can be worn over them plus more people seem to WANT to wear 'nicer' ones so I thought I would make us a batch, starting with [MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION] and later make some for work collegues, wedding guests and possibly my neighbours/ spares for my bag to give to people.

First one went well, I used a guide video on Youtube with using a different method for the elastic that I heard from another video : Baby nylon head bands. Unsure if this method will survive in a wash but easy to replace, they are much more comfortable looped round the ears. Other methods is elastic which is hard to get atm (I have some but not loads) or making long ribbons to tie at the back like some surgical masks which some people prefer. It has a 'pocket' in the mask to put a filter in if you can get one and a wire in the top to pinch around the nose.

I was lucky to find this rather Playstation-looking fabric in my collection of fat quarters I had stored for crafts. Sewing machine hated making half of it but my next batch of is looking so much better. Highly recommend that video if anyone is keen to making their own if you have a sewing machine and basic skills in using it.

Its comfortable but I have not worn it out and about yet. Hoping these are good enough to keep making and using

Comment

After using paper masks for this whole time, our fabric ones finally arrived last week, $30 for 10 of reasonable quality. Long story short, the wire bit by the nose is something I'll be making and putting in myself. Breathing down was not something that worked to stop my glasses fogging up due to how the mask went under my chin - the beard curse. I should probably shave that off.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  .....................I’m glad I’m not your parent.
                  You're probably young enough to be my son so you shouldn't disrespect your elders or the many in the medical profession who also hold similar views on the efficacy of masks in non-sterile conditions. This is not some childish, petulant objection its actually based on the scientific evidence that, up until everyone and their mother suddenly became medical experts, was widely accepted.

The naysayers in the medical profession and their spokes-persons are now, mostly, towing the government line like good little citizens. They understand the real purpose of enforced mask wearing is actually to get people to accept the big lie to get them back into shops and doing their jobs no matter what the risk. I accept that as a valid political reason to support mask wearing but reserve the right to object to it on practical and medical grounds but mostly because it creates a false sense of security and with it a greater chance of a new C-19 spike.

BTW I use that term "big lie" carefully and with full knowledge of its origins and why it is actually strangely apt in these circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                    You're probably young enough to be my son so you shouldn't disrespect your elders or the many in the medical profession who also hold similar views on the efficacy of masks in non-sterile conditions. This is not some childish, petulant objection its actually based on the scientific evidence that, up until everyone and their mother suddenly became medical experts, was widely accepted.

The naysayers in the medical profession and their spokes-persons are now, mostly, towing the government line like good little citizens. They understand the real purpose of enforced mask wearing is actually to get people to accept the big lie to get them back into shops and doing their jobs no matter what the risk. I accept that as a valid political reason to support mask wearing but reserve the right to object to it on practical and medical grounds but mostly because it creates a false sense of security and with it a greater chance of a new C-19 spike.

BTW I use that term "big lie" carefully and with full knowledge of its origins and why it is actually strangely apt in these circumstances.
                    you forgot the phrase "Fake news" and you need to add a bit more "i know a guy, he's a great guy, best in his field super smart" :P

Comment

Nothing to do with Fake News - the science on mask wearing as a preventative is sketchy and always has been because it is pretty much impossible to test. My stance on this comes direct from health care professionals and it was also what we were being told by many representatives of the medical profession seen on TV and in the other media until very recently.

Enforced mask wearing is a politically and economically expedient solution for the present time and I accept that as it is. But what I will not accept, because there is no scientific or even statistical proof that it makes us any safer and, for the practical reasons described, may actually be less safe. That's what concerns me and why I will not swallow the big lie just because of the social pressures to do so.

"Yet, Freedom!, yet thy banner, torn, but flying, streams like the thunder-storm against the wind"

Comment

Moving on, Vietnam is evacuating 80,000 people from Da Nang after finding sign of covid infection, the first in 100 days. UK with more than 700 new cases a day: go to the pub!

Comment

I don't post here all that often but when did this place become so hivemind and unpleasant / unaccepting / even slightly aggressive of those with differing views?

I mean, there's always been a small inner circle jerk of self righteous perfect peeps (who will blow you when you agree with them and blow you off when you don't), as well as a couple of very prolific tuppence worth posters, but yeah, not the place or vibe that drew me in back in 2004.

Or maybe I've just chilled out too far in the last few years, but the constant harping, niggling etc, most of you are far better than that. Most...
                          Last edited by wheelaa; 27-07-2020, 12:06. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by wheelaa View Post
                            I don't post here all that often but when did this place become so hivemind and unpleasant / unaccepting / even slightly aggressive of those with differing views?

I mean, there's always been a small inner circle jerk of self righteous perfect peeps (who will blow you when you agree with them and blow you off when you don't), as well as a couple of very prolific tuppence worth posters, but yeah, not the place or vibe that drew me in back in 2004.

Or maybe I've just chilled out too far in the last few years, but the constant harping, niggling etc, most of you are far better than that. Most...
                            But apart from the unpleasant, aggressive hivemind, the self minded circle jerking and the tuppence worth merchants (not to mention the harping, niggling and so forth), you really like coming here?

Comment

How is it impossible to test. You could do it in a school recording droplets out of a controlled cough machine with nothing in front of it then with a piece of cloth in front of it. Fewer droplets wins.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                                How is it impossible to test. You could do it in a school recording droplets out of a controlled cough machine with nothing in front of it then with a piece of cloth in front of it. Fewer droplets wins.
                                I think this has already been done https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/41...-masks-prevent

Let's not confuse the efficacy of wearing a face covering with govermental conspiracies - the official government advice is still "Work from home, if you can" and noone is forcing you to go into a shop - just to wear a mask if you do.

Comment

Working...
                                X