This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
    It's a good job we didn't pull out of the EU at a time when economic synergy was needed.
    Every EU nation appears to be closing their borders and pumping cash to prop into their own systems. I don't see much in the way of synergy.

Comment

The company I work for laid off 12 people on monday due to how our business has been effed by Covid for a month or so now

Comment

I have a lot more anxiety about the financial crash than the virus itself. The recession was one of the most depressing periods of my life so if we're having a super-recession it makes me wonder whether I should just drive my car into a big wall and not have to worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
          I have a lot more anxiety about the financial crash than the virus itself. The recession was one of the most depressing periods of my life so if we're having a super-recession it makes me wonder whether I should just drive my car into a big wall and not have to worry about it.
          At least do something fun. Maybe jump out of a plane without a parachute. Cars have airbags.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
            At least do something fun. Maybe jump out of a plane without a parachute. Cars have airbags.
            Really, Charles, that's not helping at all! It's very difficult even to find a plane nowadays!

Comment

Don't do that.
              It is all very bleak, between the worry of loved ones dying or being left with lung injuries that affect you for life and the thought of losing
              your job or being faced with the repercussions of a recession

Comment

Given where I'm at right now (I had contracts just finishing up when this kicked off and now nothing is moving), I can understand this. It's going to suck and none of us have any idea what's going to happen from here. But I can tell you a lot of us are going to be in the same boat and the only other choice (which it kind of looked like the UK was going to take because it's the Tory way) is to carry on as normal, sacrificing huge numbers of older people or sick people or people with underlying conditions in the process while burning out the health service and everyone working in it and leaving a society even more devastated... which is sociopathic, in my view. Like I said before, one thing this crisis has done is really reveal who has no problem with the thought of other people dying needlessly.

Feels like for some time, maybe an extended period of time, we're all going to need to change how we live. And countries are going to need to change the rules when it comes to how they provide for their people too. And that might be hard but it should be doable. We're all in the sucky pandemic boat right now but we will get through it.

Edit: Also I’m really thankful to have a place like this to rant and be stupid and to find comfort in games and movies and stuff. A lot of us have been here a long time but, regardless of that, we’re here for each other as support if even just to keep each other sane. So yeah, it’s really stressful right now but we’re all here being stressed together. That’s not as bad as it sounds.
                Last edited by Dogg Thang; 19-03-2020, 09:03.

Comment

That's some proper Soylent Green thinking there, DT.

Comment

Take care, mate.
                    We're all in the same boat and trying to muddle through this.
                    If it's getting on top of you and you still feel like this speak to someone.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      That's some proper Soylent Green thinking there, DT.
                      The intention was to be positive but I got lost somewhere along the way.

Anyway, bottom line is - we will get through it, we’ll look back on this as a very weird time and a sucky time but one that is in the past and we’re here for each other and Animal Crossing is almost out and you guys are all great so thank you.

Comment

The amount of people who have been able to work from home shows that there doesn't need to be a constant Mon-Fri hassle of commuting.

Imagine how much the environment could improve by this over time if, once the Coronavirus is "solved", people maintained working from home etc?

Comment

Like I said to my grandparents, hopefully we will be looking back on this in a years time and saying what a right arse on that was.

I said my goodbyes to my other half this morning as she will be self isolating with her parents. Will still have online comms and phones etc, but it was strange to hug and kiss someone good bye, not knowing when you will next see them. She did leave me with my Bday pressie for the end of April though

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                            The amount of people who have been able to work from home shows that there doesn't need to be a constant Mon-Fri hassle of commuting.

Imagine how much the environment could improve by this over time if, once the Coronavirus is "solved", people maintained working from home etc?
                            I hope this as well, max productivity is not the be all and end, if people can work from home the benefits will be found in other areas.

Comment

I'll be alright, just does my head in! It just feels very real now, I'm frustrated because I got to a position where I've got some things to lose. I also feel trapped, like I can't just get on a plane and go somewhere, but also worry for my parents. Thanks for the concern though, I will be OK. Just blowing off some steam.

Comment

yeah it's good to vent.
                                At least understand how real it is means you can take precautions and plan.

My employer warned us of the redundancies , reduced working hours, unpaid leave etc about 3 weeks ago, being part of a phased plan that would escalate depending on how the situation unfolded.
                                That up front honesty meant I went out and cancelled the car I had just put a deposit on that same day as it hit home how real it was.

Comment

Working...
                                X