Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like we're cling in on the Government ordering the full closure of all non-essential retail businesses

WHSmith is trying to argue it's an essential business

Comment

Well where else can you get the 2014 Guinness World Records book for £3?

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
        Well where else can you get the 2014 Guinness World Records book for £3?
        eBay

This message is too short.

Comment

18th February. Unskilled workers aren't needed.

18th March. Without unskilled workers stacking shelves, working the fields, keeping food supply going, we are screwed.

Any flaws in my logic? What would a Tory reply to this?

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
            18th February. Unskilled workers aren't needed.

18th March. Without unskilled workers stacking shelves, working the fields, keeping food supply going, we are screwed.

Any flaws in my logic? What would a Tory reply to this?
            We never said unskilled workers aren't needed.

Comment

Yeah I suppose it would have to be "from abroad".

Comment

Things just got very serious. After the announcement that their Dublin shop was closing for now, I placed a hefty Games Workshop online order because I'm running low on a bunch of stuff. Today, GW have announced they are closing everything, including sites and online orders. Everything. NUTS!

Still, they are totally the right thing to keep their employees safe. I just really hope businesses like this can ramp back up again when this has all passed.

We should have some sort of official stasis time where everybody gets a universal basic income and most businesses are put on stasis time, where all rents, utilities, bills, everything gets put on hold as if time is not passing at all so that it can all be picked up when it's over.

Comment

WHSmith will close 60% of its stores

Gove says in three weeks the current legal lockdown may tighten further

Supermarkets are beginning to roll out restrictions on the number of customers in store at any one time

A snap YouGov poll shows 93% public support for how Johnson is dealing with the outbreak, 66% of the public think dealing with the virus will be a cinch

Sports Direct has u-turned and will close all stores

Job postings on Indeed have fallen by 15%

Also:
                  The UK economy has downturned at the fastest rate in two decades and shows that a deep recession beyond 2008 is inevitable already

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                    We should have some sort of official stasis time where everybody gets a universal basic income and most businesses are put on stasis time, where all rents, utilities, bills, everything gets put on hold as if time is not passing at all so that it can all be picked up when it's over.
                    It'd be great if we could; it's a shame the economy is as complicated as it is.

Comment

Sunak says financial support for self-employed people will require a new system as they don't want to support those who don't need it and he hopes to have information soon but suggests they'll be waiting a fair while to get any actual help from it.

Less than a week till an explosion in Universal Basic Income demand? Especially if the US clears it this week

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                        This is what I actually expected the gov to do.

Certainly not the “get on with it and we don't give a rats arse if you get in trouble” that is currently the case.
                        Last edited by fishbowlhead; 24-03-2020, 12:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                          https://www.theguardian.com/politics...lockdown-rules
                          Sunak says financial support for self-employed people will require a new system as they don't want to support those who don't need it and he hopes to have information soon but suggests they'll be waiting a fair while to get any actual help from it.

Less than a week till an explosion in Universal Basic Income demand? Especially if the US clears it this week
                          My brother is a piler (construction) and they just shut the site down today. Self employed of course, so thats not good news for my sister and family.

Comment

My well thought-through steps to make this work:

1) Make big businesses pay their taxes. Cha-ching!
                            2) Shut everyone down except for essential businesses.
                            3) Freeze all rents, utilities etc. Nobody profits during this period.
                            4) Distribute regular universal basic income to individuals and households.
                            5) Essential businesses (pizza delivery, hospitals, utilities providers etc.) also have bills frozen where possible. Staffed mostly by young interns to boost job upskilling (maybe even like a national service). Supported by taxing the big businesses.
                            6) We all hibernate while this gets sorted out.
                            7) We all fall in love with this and decide to do it every year from mid-November until the end of Feb.

Comment

New world order, rules by DT please

Comment

The Chancellor dismisses the idea of Universal Basic Income essentially saying that the government has done enough already to help people.

Comment

Working...
                                X