This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    There is plenty, says Brad and also seemingly lots of other people. And as stated, there could be other battery tech. Johnson’s an idiot and, yes, of course he has no plan but if normal people think we can’t move from petrol cars in 15 years, one and a half decades, and aren’t coming with a better solution, then it’s just defeatist and is that usual “trying is the first step towards failure” thing that, firstly, gets us nowhere and, secondly, serves the worst richest people on the planet. 15 years is a long time. Seems better to aim for a goal than just shake your heads and say it can’t be done. Of course it can be done if the will is strong enough. It just benefits a very select group of people for it not to be done.

Honestly, some of you have such a bleak view of yourselves, your country and humankind that I don’t even know how you get up in the morning. You’ve been sold nihilism and you’ve made it your own.
    Yeah Ok, i'll agree with that. I have been quick to poo-poo it. If the country gets it ass in gear we can achieve it in 15 years. I think we also need to start pushing towards Hydrogen fuel cells, that's the real future of vehicles.

Comment

People are so short sighted it's shocking, we should be looking at why people travel and what for. Electric or hydrogen cars will not save the environment at all. They are still chock full of petro-chemicals right across the board.

Huge amounts of people could work from home, work places could house week day accommodation. There must be 1000s of people who drive past each other on the motorway and could swap jobs if they wanted too.

We need to be clever and resourceful.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        Honestly, some of you have such a bleak view of yourselves, your country and humankind that I don’t even know how you get up in the morning. You’ve been sold nihilism and you’ve made it your own.
        Yeah, you're right, we can do this, gang!

Looks at current Government

Yeah, good luck with that.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
          Although I think the whole bluster was just a smoke screen of PR to hide how poorly it was doing. So it's not really a Brexit story, but a corrupt businessman story.
          Exactly, go read the Norton story, it's nothing new. The brand has changed hands a million times and controversy has always followed.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
            Yeah, you're right, we can do this, gang!

Looks at current Government

Yeah, good luck with that.

Comment

Stop being so wet

Comment

You are having an absolute laugh if you think we're going to be ready for electric-only in 5444 days.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  You are having an absolute laugh if you think we're going to be ready for electric-only in 5444 days.
                  Read what I said, this obsession with electric cars, is not addressing the real issue.

Comment

I read what you said.

Asking the present Government to be "clever and resourceful" is asking too much of them.

It's just hot air to look good. Promises without any plans to back them up. Sound familiar?

EDIT: True story. I was really disappointed on my first visit to London that the tubes don't run all the time and aren't all automated like in Flashback. "Wait, you have to get a night bus home?!"

Last edited by QualityChimp; 05-02-2020, 08:05.

Comment

I'm talking about everywhere.

Comment

People are so short sighted it's shocking, we should be looking at why people travel and what for. Electric or hydrogen cars will not save the environment at all. They are still chock full of petro-chemicals right across the board.

Huge amounts of people could work from home, work places could house week day accommodation. There must be 1000s of people who drive past each other on the motorway and could swap jobs if they wanted too.

Yes, I totally agree with this. It’s not about just sticking a plaster on stuff. As I said in some other thread very recently, all our systems evolved to serve a totally different world, much of it built around industrial revolution needs. Our whole way of life needs an overhaul. And could have one if the will was truly there - we made all this stuff up, we can change it.

Comment

I'm talking about everywhere.
                          My Economics teacher was a bit of a crank, but he was absolutely convinced that Gillette bought the formula for a cream that stops stubble growing, but locked it away in a vault as they make more money from razor blades than solving the issue of stubble.

Likewise, he believed that when the oil starts running out, all of a sudden, the oil sheikhs would miraculously produce a new engine that runs on water.

Extreme, but I definitely think some technology that we thought was impossible, will suddenly be "discovered", but it's been sat on by businesses that have nothing to gain from it being available.

Like light bulb manufacturers who had a secret agreement to have obsolescence built in to maximise profits or printer manufacturers using chips in ink cartridges to say the ink has run out, when it hasn't.

Comment

The most expensive building project in the world is the International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor currently being built in France.
                            'The machine aims to demonstrate the principle of producing more thermal power from the fusion process than is used to heat the plasma, something that has not yet been achieved in any fusion reactor.'

Essentially free energy. This is the kind of project the world should be focused on.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                              The most expensive building project in the world is the International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor currently being built in France.
                              'The machine aims to demonstrate the principle of producing more thermal power from the fusion process than is used to heat the plasma, something that has not yet been achieved in any fusion reactor.'

Essentially free energy. This is the kind of project the world should be focused on.
                              It could also be the synopsis for a disaster movie!

Comment

I know it sounds defeatest but it really does come from a benchmark of decades upon decades of hindsight on the state of the UK and our government. I mean, we're still waiting on the EU to properly commit to a similar wide ruling which if they did would likely be set for 2050 instead whilst at the same time our government is about to sell us up the high river to the US which is steadfast committed to smothering environmental based shifts. They still haven't really decided on what the infrastructure will be for electric vehicles but I can definitely imagine a sharp swing towards hydrogen at some point.

That uncertainty will kill any serious investment in electric infrastructure as a wholesale replacement and let's be honest, the current approach of free terminals and 'you can charge it at home' isn't going to last very long because the big corporations like BP, Shell etc will never allow it and once both techs reach maturation will champion Hydrogen of the two because it allows control of supply. Electric is like the Betamax to Hydrogens VHS but the key part really is that 2020 is so far away from 2035 that Boris is literally just spouting a soundbite. If you don't get a full, comprehensive and hard launching initiative to revolutionise the UK's fuel network in preparation by the end of the current government term then it'll be exactly what it firts comes across as, Johnson promising something he knows a successor will get all the blame for not delivering.

Comment

Working...
                                X