This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

I've honestly seen takes of "but what about all the good slave traders did?".

Comment

Question.

As someone not on any social media whatsoever...

How is it that you come across this stuff? Are you following it? Are these people / channels / whatever mainstream or pointed in your direction or something? Do you seek them out? Is it just that this crap is that pervasive (and these places are indeed the cesspools I suspect)?

Comment

Originally posted by wheelaa View Post
          Is it just that this crap is that pervasive (and these places are indeed the cesspools I suspect)?
          Your feed is as good or bad as the people that you follow. This is not really much different to the people you choose as friends. There's nothing that pervasive other than some folks retweeting garbage the perhaps they shouldn't be drawing attention to, but generally you have to actively go look for it or choose to go and read replies.

I keep my personal twitter feed asshat free and have a second account for the politics BS, and I keep my friends lists as small as possible, limited to people I know.
          Last edited by MartyG; 08-06-2020, 15:21.

Comment

Originally posted by wheelaa View Post
            Question.

As someone not on any social media whatsoever...

How is it that you come across this stuff? Are you following it? Are these people / channels / whatever mainstream or pointed in your direction or something? Do you seek them out? Is it just that this crap is that pervasive (and these places are indeed the cesspools I suspect)?
            It's just social media in general and a certain percentage of people you know coming out of the woodwork to bitch about change.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              I've honestly seen takes of "but what about all the good slave traders did?".
              Yep. What's ridiculous, too, is that I've been reading how they were going to put a new sign on the plinth to explain that this Colston guy did a lot of good, but also exported thousands of slaves and caused countless deaths through his business ventures. Basically making it clear that the statue wasn't so much venerating a nice person, but rather he's a significant figure in the history of Bristol. I personally still think it should've been pulled down, but the council kept dilly-dallying over the exact wording of the plaque.

Could've been avoided. Years of peaceful protest, reasoned argument and logical debate that no-one can reasonably disagree with, and nothing happens. So then people come and tear down the statue themselves. It's elegant in its simplicity.

Comment

They shouldn't be protesting at this time. What's the point of the lockdown? The violence against police here is uncalled for.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoju View Post
                  They shouldn't be protesting at this time. What's the point of the lockdown?
                  Can't really listen to those complaints until they get all those people off the beaches and out of the parks.

Comment

I'm a big Lewis Hamilton fan but he's on sticky ground going after racist symbols while racing for Mercedes.

Comment

They shouldn't be protesting at this time. What's the point of the lockdown? The violence against police here is uncalled for.
                      Ask Dominic Cummings.

Comment

Lockdown reduced infection rates by 81%. Clearly it was therefore necessary to remove the lockdown to get it right back up so the United Kingdom can boast of having a World Class Infection Rate!

Whilst WHO has once again warned against trusting in falling infection figures as they just logged the day with the highest number of global new infections on record yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                          Can't really listen to those complaints until they get all those people off the beaches and out of the parks.
                          This looks far worse and has involved some disgraceful violence against the police. Why criticize one and ignore the other?

Comment

This looks far worse and has involved some disgraceful violence against the police. Why criticize one and ignore the other?
                            One is a day out at the beach, the other is fighting back against systemic racism and the massive inequality black people face. It's not like they can just hold off until the virus has been dealt with, they'll lose all momentum and all of these issues will still exist.

Violence against anyone is bad, but none of this happens in a vacuum. I've seen the way my black friends are treated by the police and it's disgusting. These protests wouldn't even exist if they got the same treatment I and most other people get, both from the police and society in general. The buck stops there ultimately.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                              One is a day out at the beach, the other is fighting back against systemic racism and the massive inequality black people face. It's not like they can just hold off until the virus has been dealt with, they'll lose all momentum and all of these issues will still exist.

Violence against anyone is bad, but none of this happens in a vacuum. I've seen the way my black friends are treated by the police and it's disgusting. These protests wouldn't even exist if they got the same treatment I and most other people get, both from the police and society in general. The buck stops there ultimately.
                              The incident in question happened in another country and they have it much worse especially with their gun problems and history. There is no excuse for attacking police violently here for doing nothing other than trying to maintain order. This kind of behaviour at a time like this is only going to make things worse. If you don't think the virus is that dangerous and that locking down is going too far ok. There are prominent experts that in fact do believe that and that the Neil Ferguson model being used is highly questionable. He even broke the quarantine himself.

Comment

The incident in question happened in another country and they have it much worse especially with their gun problems and history. There is no excuse for attacking police violently here for doing nothing other than trying to maintain order. This kind of behaviour at a time like this is only going to make things worse. If you don't think the virus is that dangerous and that locking down is going too far ok. There are prominent experts that in fact do believe that and that the Neil Ferguson model being used is highly questionable. He even broke the quarantine himself.
                                The US was just the spark that set this all off, we have plenty of issues of our own. Not small things that can be brushed off; damaging, long term issues that affect generations of people. I mean ****ing hell, Windrush wasn't that long ago.

That violence didn't come from nowhere, there's a reason people are angry.

I'm all for the lockdown and I am worried about spikes in a few weeks. I'm not going to tell people they can't protest though, this is too important.

Comment

Working...
                                X