X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You'd prefer no-deal? Why?

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
      Starmar is right again with this one, secure the deal and draw a line under it ro move things on to the next issue where a chance still remains of eroding the tory lead
      Draw a line under it?

There are going to be continued negotiations for years if not decades to come - there are dozens and dozens of areas yet to be discussed that haven't been covered, and that's not even including the fish quota access that is renegotiated every 5 years or other ongoing trade negotiations with other countries.

This is going to go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and so forth.

Comment

No Deal is not what happens if you abstain.
        The point is that voting *for* something that will happen whether you vote for it or against it is purely for the messaging. In the incredibly unlikely event that the 80 seat majority wasn't enough even if they voted against, an abstention does not mean that.

Comment

I'd say it does draw a line under it because whatever comes from 2021 onward talks will increasingly be no different than with talks with any country. As far as the 2016-2020 public perception will be concerned Brexit will be done and their focus will finally move onto the next pinata topic.

The one thing to come from the General Election was that whether it's liked or not the public overwhelmingly backed the position of 'getting Brexit done' and whether Labour votes against the deal or abstained wouldn't matter, it would only be used and presented as more of Labour either fence sitting or defying the public's wishes. Either could very easily be weaponised by the Tories again in the coming years and Starmar's stance doesn't necessarily mean Labour likes the deal or the result but it acknowledges the hard reality that they lost any and all argumentative stance, that literally no alternate options are on the table that are now better than the deal in hand and that the party really needs Brexit to not be a focus come the next General Election. Abstaining will just be used by the Tories to shut down Labour at any future discussion on trade just like they've been outplayed for the last 5+ years on the matter and just like the Corbyn issue, the party just needs to lick its wounds, suck it up and finally drive itself forward towards a position where in a few years time it's a remotely credible option for most voters and can finally right the UK ship to some degree.

Comment

Boxing Day over with, scientists step up calls for a third national lockdown

Comment

As long as seaside chip shops are open and everyone still has to go to work, there is no lockdown.

People are complaining about a "packed" Barry Island today with queues for chips. Well of course, you can't do anything else, the weather was good and tourist chippies and car parks are open.

They want people to work in manual jobs 40 hours a week surrounded by hundreds of people then stay in. Throw kids into the mix on school holidays and people just won't do it.

Especially when at the same time people have gone skiing for New Year.

Comment

Went for a drive today, purely to distract the kids who are still on a post-Xmas high so never stepped out of the car. It was insane though, busy everywhere. We're in Tier 3 in so many neighbours were out or had family visit. Shops more rammed than pre-Xmas, we briefly skirted into a Tier 2 area and pub car parks were literally overflowing when I've never seen them like that before. It's like letting people have 1 day to mix has released a huge pressure valve and they've gone nuts. Rough times are coming.

Comment

We can't go to non essential shops or a pub here and the roads are still busy. Everywhere probably should be on lockdown, but even Tier 4 is slacker than it needs to be. It needs to be lockdown 1 level again, obviously, but there is no way to spend that money again.

Comment

I was actually stuck in traffic yesterday! Never seen more cars out. All my neighbours drives were full of visitors too.
                    I think a combo of the vaccine coming and relaxing the rules has led people to just say **** it.

Comment

Not been out since Xmas Eve and although the roads were more busy then than during full lockdown it was noticeably quieter in my part of Tier 4 NW London than normal. Pedestrian traffic likewise, in fact in my one mile trek to the supermarket I'd say it was less busy than at any time since the last full lockdown.

When you get closer to the main shopping centre that may well change but as I've not been there since March I really wouldn't know what it was like then or now.

My local high street, which I visited maybe four or five times for top up shops in the last six months has been quiet throughout too including Xmas Eve. How some of the shops there are surviving I can't guess. The only difference I noticed was when the schools went back and suddenly between about 3.30pm and 4.30pm it felt almost normal. I've since specifically avoided going there at those times.

There are still people breaking the regulations locally as they've done all year but the majority do seem to be trying to stick to them, if they actually understand what they are. Yet the C-19 cases have still gone up.

I have theories on that but as in the past such speculation has been poo-pooed here I'll hold my water.
                      Last edited by fallenangle; 28-12-2020, 13:54.

Comment

Overall summary of the respiratory viruses in circulation within the UK

We've passed the 40,000 per day threshold with 41,385

Comment

So the government were right, Brexit hasn't harmed British exports at all: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55452262

Comment

Plans to stagger secondary school returns are in danger as seniors within the Government object. Probably because it'll make squat all difference.

Comment

The more I think about this the more I'm convinced they are vaccinating in the wrong direction
                              If it seems to be spreading by school kids then surely they need the vaccine before the elderly & people in care who are staying home & not mingling

I think it needs to be...

All frontline staff
                              Teens & teachers
                              Adults
                              Elderly

But whatever happens they need to stop keep locking down & opening up
                              Lockdown is pointless & just crippling the country

Neil

Comment

At my wife's hospital she said they have 83 patients in ICU with covid related problems. They are over max capacity.
                                Anyone else coming in is being sent to other hospitals, including people without covid. I can only imagine the other hospitals are also at max capacity too. I don't know what happens if you need an ICU bed and there aren't any.

Comment

Working...
                                X