No announcement yet.

United Kingdom VI: Summer Lovin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It says November for me, all I know for definite is I'm in Group 8.

Comment

Question: is it really the intention to vaccinate everyone, or is there some critical mass of vaccination at which point total vaccination becomes pointless? I hope the latter, as the logistics and timescale of the former - especially given the current shower of government - strikes me as unachievable.

Comment

Largely to reach the herd immunity level I think, which still plants us deep into 2022 at the current rate and that's assuming a vaccine-resistant variant doesn't do the rounds

Comment

You get a level of herd immunity at a certain point - Marty had a good article on it maybe a few pages back? But worth noting that herd immunity is still a bit of a numbers game. You can get outbreaks. In the real world, this is mostly applied to livestock where they can cull a herd as needed. There are a lot of unknowns here, especially with changing forms of the virus. But I think one thing seems pretty clear - any attempt to half ass it will only lead to problems and disappointment. So as far as I'm concerned, even with the prospect of herd immunity at a certain threshold, it shouldn't stop there.

Comment

Yes, there's a point at which you reach herd immunity, but it depends on the effectiveness of the vaccine - the less effective it is, the larger the take-up has to be - the further you pass the critical point the better so vaccinating past this isn't pointless, see post #1706

Comment

On the subject of Vaccination my mum n dad had a call today & are getting their first dose tomorrow

Totally unexpected as they are both only 70 & no underlying health conditions so was thinking they'd be a way off yet but nope tomorrow

Neil

Comment

I'm glad herd immunity is going so well thus far.

Comment

Articles like this are a bit worrying:

"Kenyon, who says the immunity from the vaccine means he can now hug his “enchanting” two grandchildren"

“Now, I don’t have to think about it again. It’s all done. I am going to survive"

"In a few days I will be immune. I don’t think I’ll pass anything on to anybody else. I think all will be well. And my family are very pleased."

Unless I'm missing something there's no 100% immunity from vaccines, and possibly less-so in older people. I think they really need to emphisise this is a gradual process to reduce illness and trasmission, not a magic switch. Hopefully things will be better by Easter, but I've seen a number of social media posts from people who think that by summer it's going to be all street parties and festivals.
                  Last edited by ZipZap; 05-01-2021, 14:19.

Comment

Yep. Getting the vaccine is no guarantee. And it's certainly no guarantee that you can't pass it on. People are essentially going to have to be retrained how to live for a while after getting the vaccine.

Comment

My concern is that as vaccine doesn't stop you passing it on and as the mainland UK has effectively become a plague island, no overseas territories will allow British travellers in - perhaps for years. This gives me a lot of anxiety as the first thing I'd like to do is get out of here.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                        Question: is it really the intention to vaccinate everyone, or is there some critical mass of vaccination at which point total vaccination becomes pointless? I hope the latter, as the logistics and timescale of the former - especially given the current shower of government - strikes me as unachievable.
                        On the Beeb News yesterday they were saying that the younger children will not get it - or at least that is the plan at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                          My concern is that as vaccine doesn't stop you passing it on and as the mainland UK has effectively become a plague island, no overseas territories will allow British travellers in - perhaps for years. This gives me a lot of anxiety as the first thing I'd like to do is get out of here.

Comment

Overall summary of the respiratory viruses in circulation within the UK

Cases nearly hit 61,000 whilst deaths hit over 800 and hospitalisations top 3,000

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                              I expect there's far too much money in tourism for that!

This new variant is popping up in other countries and may have originated in the US (https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-since-october)

The UK's numbers are bad, but currently lower than Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Croatia, Czech Republic and more.

We don't hold the exclusive rights to being led by bumbling idiots.

Edit: Also, the vaccine will reduce transmission, I just meant that it's not an instant flick of a switch. The vaccine creates a strong immunity overall which means the virus has less people to infect and so cases will go down. That's "herd immunity". It won't happen overnight though.
                              Last edited by ZipZap; 05-01-2021, 18:52.

Comment

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
                                The UK's numbers are bad, but currently lower than Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Croatia, Czech Republic and more.
                                Daily cases? That’s not correct is it?

Comment

Working...
                                X