No announcement yet.

United Kingdom VI: Summer Lovin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know London that well, but 7 miles from your house by bike doesn't sound that far to me. I hate Johnson but it sounds within the realms of the normal daily exercise being encouraged. Maybe I'm missing something though!

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
      I don't know London that well, but 7 miles from your house by bike doesn't sound that far to me. I hate Johnson but it sounds within the realms of the normal daily exercise being encouraged. Maybe I'm missing something though!
      You could probably argue that Hyde Park, which does allow cycling, is more local to Downing Street than the Olympic Park, depends whether he travelled there by alternative means before he started cycling, if he cycled there it would appear to be within the spirit of the "exercise locally" rules to me.

Comment

I find it implausible. 7 miles from his home? Minimum 14 miles round trip for that sack of butter under his own steam? Wouldn't someone have seen the wheezing bastard leave No. 10? He must have been transported there.

Comment

Originally posted by saif View Post
          Boris Johnson spotted cycling seven miles from Downing Street in Olympic Park
          I mean, I hate the guy too, but people have to be allowed to go outside. If he was in a cycling peloton or having a picnic then maybe.

Comment

I live 20 mins away (via bike or Public Transport) from the Olympic Park.

I'm pretty sure that I'm not making a seven-mile trip to Hyde Park or any other public green near 10 Downing Street under current restrictions, or am I genuinely missing something here?

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
              I live 20 mins away (via bike or Public Transport) from the Olympic Park.

I'm pretty sure that I'm not making a seven-mile trip to Hyde Park or any other public green near 10 Downing Street under current restrictions, or am I genuinely missing something here?
              Conversely I went for a walk along the sea-front at lunchtime today. Kept my distance from people, but I walked a couple of miles. I don't know what the exact terms are, but I'm just avoiding a "glass houses" situation.

EDIT: I should add here that I live by the sea, so I didn't "go to the beach" as such.

Comment

If you want to see what kind of route that would be click here: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Olym...51.5032437!3e2

There are quite a few parks that he could go to and it would be pretty difficult to get there without going through built up areas. I am not saying that it is not allowed, but it is not within the guidance nor is it a sensible thing to do for him. But, by the end of the week, it will be "sensible" in the same way that *having covid and a child* made it sensible to drive very far to break quarantine because you pretend to be so worried about your children that you would ignore all guidance that you had heard directly in meetings that you pretended that you were not at.

Setting an example is really, really important and maybe even more so when you have also gone to the effort of massively polarising the country for at least half a decade before that.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                  Conversely I went for a walk along the sea-front at lunchtime today. Kept my distance from people, but I walked a couple of miles. I don't know what the exact terms are, but I'm just avoiding a "glass houses" situation.

EDIT: I should add here that I live by the sea, so I didn't "go to the beach" as such.
                  Lol, smfh.

Did you walk cross-city to make that trip though? This is basically what Boris has done here and all I'm reading is people trying to make excuses for him.

Comment

No one is making excuses, just sensible application of the rules - the Derbyshire Police have recently been critised (rightly) for over-enforcement of the rules for fining two people who travelled to a park with coffee cups as having a picnic.

I don't see any issue with going to Olympic Park to ride a bike for some exercise - who would he have been infecting doing that? There'd be an issue if others were doing the same and being fined for it.

There are far bigger and more important things to criticse Johnson over.
                    Last edited by MartyG; 11-01-2021, 16:39.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                      No one is making excuses, just sensible application of the rules - the Derbyshire Police have recently been critised (rightly) for over-enforcement of the rules for fining two people who travelled to a park with coffee cups as having a picnic.

I don't see any issue with going to Olympic Park to ride a bike for some exercise - who would he have been infecting doing that? There'd be an issue if others were doing the same and being fined for it.

There are far bigger and more important things to criticse Johnson over.
                      Why has he got to travel to the Olympic Park when several other public greens including Hyde Park are on his doorstep?

I mean, didn't a couple recently get done for travelling five miles by car to go to a park? But it's okay because Boris does it??

Sorry, it sounds like excuses are being made. Considering the Cummings nonsense during the last lockdown, examples really ought to be set this time around, no?

Like it or not, things like this are precisely why people are seemingly complying less and less and less with the current restrictions. It's almost as if people are now perceiving it as one rule for them and another for the politicians. Imagine that!
                      Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 11-01-2021, 17:02.

Comment

We all know compliance with guidelines has dropped significantly after the Cummings situation. This is pretty obvious. Johnson should be acting in a way that others can look at and, if replicated, would not cause a problem.
                        That is how public health works. He has a brexity cult of about 35% of the country that will do what he says and/or defend it hard. If more people think that seven miles is OK when they have previously heard that 5 is not OK, will this cause more or less spread?

Examples are really important. I am not saying a law has been broken, but it is stupid and, frankly dangerous.

Dealing with the public, always remember that about 50% are below average intelligence. The messaging must be based around this. Keep it simple - stay at home.

Comment

So no law has been broken, he's acting within the guidance and others are okay to do the same - where is the issue again?

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                          Why has he got to travel to the Olympic Park when several other public greens including Hyde Park are on his doorstep?
                          Security issues, perhaps Hyde Park is too much of a security threat? Perhaps it's just better for cycling on. Again, why is it being 7 miles away an issue? 7 miles is local - the reservoir near me is 7 miles away and perfectly acceptable to go to. Should I no longer be allow to go there for it not being local enough?

Cummings travelled all the way to Durham, went on an excursion to a castle and was a clear breach of the lockdown - what rules has Johnson breached that he's getting away with where other people can't do the same?
                          Last edited by MartyG; 11-01-2021, 17:26.

Comment

The Olympic Park is ages away from Downing Street. Balls did he bike that far.

Comment

I honestly think people are making an everest out of a molehill over this one.

Comment

A 14 mile round trip on a bike is an hour of exercise. I can’t stand the bellend but this is looking for a problem where there isn’t one.

Comment

Working...
                                X