United Kingdom VI: Summer Lovin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt Hancock must now self-isolate after being pinged by the COVID app

The Northern Ireland Secretary has tried to downplay that the UK currently stands as the No.1 nation in the world for COVID-19 Death Rate

Comment

I have a feeling that this wold wide virus (corvid in this instance) isn’t a one off and will continue to escalate in the future the more of us there are on the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post

Impressive even if Guardian are stretching the levels of improvement accomplished here. A new electric battery for cars has been revealed which can charge in 5 minutes. However, despite what they open with it isn't as fast as filling up with fuel as that's 5 minutes per 100 mile range. Still a great and big step forward but given the increase in charge required it seems to continue to show how the direction could be to electric but at a station not the home.
        Improvements in charging speed are always welcome but won’t make much difference to most peeps. Most cars don’t even do 20 miles a day so have plenty of time to charge at home on cheap off peak electricity.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
          Improvements in charging speed are always welcome but won’t make much difference to most peeps. Most cars don’t even do 20 miles a day so have plenty of time to charge at home on cheap off peak electricity.
          How dare you use logic and facts here. Don’t you know EVERYONE needs 500miles of range off 5 mins charge? 🙂

Comment

Rapid charging comes into play when things don't go as planned e.g. flooding cutting off your planned 20 mile route home and instead having to do 100 miles but only having enough juice for 50. This has always been the range anxiety for me. Yes I can plan ahead but the world won't always go along with my plans.

Comment

Plus, home charging only works on the basis of actually being able to plug your car in. Not every home even has a space for a car to be parked outside of it, let alone multi-car owning households etc. That or having charging cables trailing to the vehicles. The only option would be to have street charging points outside of almost every building in the UK and well... that ain't happening. Charging 'Petrol' stations with high current rapid charging is exactly how this will end.

Comment

Plus, home charging only works on the basis of actually being able to plug your car in. Not every home even has a space for a car to be parked outside of it, let alone multi-car owning households etc. That or having charging cables trailing to the vehicles. The only option would be to have street charging points outside of almost every building in the UK and well... that ain't happening. Charging 'Petrol' stations with high current rapid charging is exactly how this will end.
                yup i live on a street that is all terrace houses, Nine times out of ten you cant even get parked outside your house!!! , it would be a nightmare if everyone had charging cables hanging out their windows creating a jungle of trip hazards down the path. Technology needs to move to the point where you can slide the battery out of the car and carry it with you like a briefcase so you can bring it inside to charge and we're a good while away form that. current battery's take up pretty much the whole footprint of the car.

Comment

Keep a generator in the boot

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                    Keep a generator in the boot
                    A petrol powered one

Comment

Electric cars should charge when driving over a special surfaced side lane in the road... basically like F-Zero... and boost as fast too!

Comment

Electric cars should charge when driving over a special surfaced side lane in the road... basically like F-Zero... and boost as fast too!
                        The electrified floor needs to be connected to an overhanging charge grid by a large pole.
                        As drivers jostle to get into the charging lane, there's a risk of collision, so maybe introduce a encircling large rubber bumper on the cars.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                          The electrified floor needs to be connected to an overhanging charge grid by a large pole.
                          As drivers jostle to get into the charging lane, there's a risk of collision, so maybe introduce a encircling large rubber bumper on the cars.
                          And charge tokens should be available for purchase on the go from wiry men swinging from poles at the back of the car.

Comment

They actually have these on American buses. I went on one in Chicago which hooked on to a cable above the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                              Rapid charging comes into play when things don't go as planned e.g. flooding cutting off your planned 20 mile route home and instead having to do 100 miles but only having enough juice for 50. This has always been the range anxiety for me. Yes I can plan ahead but the world won't always go along with my plans.
                              If your ICE car only had 50 miles worth of fuel left in it with that scenario it wouldn’t be any better.

Comment

Something like 60% of UK households have off street parking. I was surprised at that number too.
                                Grants are available for installation of on street charging - https://energysavingtrust.org.uk/ser...epoint-scheme/

Comment

Working...
                                X