No announcement yet.

United Kingdom VI: Summer Lovin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are large sparse areas but the density argument for the UK has always felt stretched. Few cities are that dense that reasonable measures can't be enforced, it's always felt like a wriggle out excuse for a nation who has dropped measures months too early every time.

Comment

Don't think I could agree with that - population density obviiously has an impact. Rutland is sparsely populated and it has a death rate of 0.00488% - if people were packed in like they are in NY, it'd be far higher. There is large variation between districts depending on the population density.

Comment

It'll definitely be higher in populated areas than less densely packed ones but, this is just my feeling, that places here aren't armpit to armpit for the most part especially in the last year where varying levels of restrictions have been in place. It veers from either places are densely populated to the point contact is unavoidable which is why it's been so bad here or its avoidable and been disasterously handled.

Comment

‘In spite of our efforts to move heaven and Earth, it has become clear that we simply will not be able to make the festival happen this year,’ the organisers said in a statement

Glastonbury 2021 is officially cancelled

Another day, another corrupt Tory contract

And Downing Street has now refused to rule out Lockdown 03 lasting till at least Summer 2021
          Last edited by Neon Ignition; 21-01-2021, 13:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            It's stuff like this as well:

US Population - 328.2m
            UK population - 66.6m

US deaths - 406,000
            UK deaths - 94,745

US ratio - 0.000123%
            UK ratio - 0.142229%

And any density argument pales next to major US cities let alone the last twelve months of how the US has handled the crisis. It feels like, small as those percentages look without wider context applied, something has been and is going very wrong with how UK COVID patients are handled
            Those ratios are wrong. The US has about 5 times the population of the UK but has had about 4.3 times as many total deaths. So the UK really is plague island.

Comment

I don't find that surprising - I wouldn't be surprised in the Tokyo Olympics gets cancelled too, even if every country is well into their vaccination programmes, it could be a spark that sets the whole thing off again as all different countries from across the world mix together in one place.

2020 - the first year of lockdown

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
              Those ratios are wrong. The US has about 5 times the population of the UK but has had about 4.3 times as many total deaths. So the UK really is plague island.
              US: 0.1237
              UK: 0.1422

It actually makes the US a lot closer to the UK (so the UK less bad).
              Last edited by MartyG; 21-01-2021, 13:24.

Comment

Percentage Calculator failed me!

Serum Institute of India has been contracted to manufacture a billion doses of the AstraZeneca/Oxford University vaccine. | ITV National News

Five people have died at the worlds largest manufacturer of the Oxford /AstraZeneca vaccine based in India. They say that manufacturing should remain on track however

Comment

Delivery driver i have sometimes caught a middle aged couple just coming back from the shops with no masks naturally, their door said “nock and leave parcels in porch, isolating due to testing positive”.

When English people stop behaving like utter w*****s like this, then it may start to flatten and eventually slow.

Better get used to being in permanent lock down from now on then UK.
                  Last edited by fishbowlhead; 21-01-2021, 15:46.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post

Better get used to being in permanent lock down from now on then UK.

Comment

I'm starting to get fed up. Realistically it seems that the entire year of 2021 is going to be a complete write-off, worse than 2020 probably. Summer will either be lockdown or something close to it. The government vaccination plans for autumn will probably slip into winter at least. I keep looking at my holiday photos and thinking how long away it all is. Just annoys me.

Comment

Stop looking at your holiday photos. Problem solved.

I trust my invoice will be paid promptly.

Comment

It'll be paid as soon as the virus is sorted, so possibly in the form of some kind of futuristic currency (or a bartering system).

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                            It'll be paid as soon as the virus is sorted, so possibly in the form of some kind of futuristic currency (or a bartering system).
                            Can we use poems to barter?

Comment

A brief survey of the people at large
                              Determining the nature of payments to charge
                              One thing was certain to all indeed
                              Poems are surely the last thing we need.

Comment

Amazing.

Comment

Working...
                                X