United Kingdom VI: Summer Lovin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
    Oh yeah, I wasn't a loyalist to him anyway, I just wish Starmer would stop being such a piece of wet lettuce when he could completely kick the government in the balls at every turn.
    I think Starmer has to play it cool and to keep being a subtle, moving target for now. They've tried to pin him as just a lawyer (as if holding highest office of a respected professional position like that is a contemptible thing, when Johnson's been sacked from most jobs his mates and dad have got him into) and he's beaten them by alternately shrugging it off and playing up to it wittily. It would be easy for Starmer to just start ranting as there's no end of ammunition but then they'll just peg him as an inflexible demagogue, much like they did with pegging Corbyn as a slow-moving Trot bogeyman.
    Last edited by Golgo; 19-08-2020, 12:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
      Oh yeah, I wasn't a loyalist to him anyway, I just wish Starmer would stop being such a piece of wet lettuce when he could completely kick the government in the balls at every turn.
      I appreciate what you’re saying. It’s a dangerous game, though. There’s a certain type of voter who don’t like an overly-critical, moany opposition during a national crisis, no matter how warranted it is. They are seen as opportunistic and attempting to gain political capital from a crisis.

Comment

The various nations publics need to get over their fixation on supporting effective dictators.

Comment

^ 'Plausible Deniability', comrade. We've all had bad experiences with in-flight catering! Seriously, though, the levels of state dastardliness we've become inured to make the Cold War look like a bit of harmless mischief.

Comment

It's not like it's just the Russians doing this, you might try and justify killing Qassem Suleimani by asserting he had terrorist connections, but it was still an assissination of another country's politician by the US.

Comment

And we should just assume this is how the Tories do every single deal going forward

Comment

My firm would have blacklisted that comapny as a supplier after this balls up but I bet the tories don't the hatefuls *****.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                  https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...al-on-a-levels
                  And we should just assume this is how the Tories do every single deal going forward
                  I hope people realize that China and Russia operate in a very similar way.
                  Soon it will be 'New voting system linked to Cummings to be rolled out'

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                    I hope people realize that China and Russia operate in a very similar way.
                    Soon it will be 'New voting system linked to Cummings to be rolled out'
                    I'm very much hoping - in light of the still growing fiasco of the exams - that even the most spineless yes-men in Tory politics now realize the political fallout of replacing properly informed human decision-making with automated systems and algorithms, and that this seriously knocks the stuffing out of that bastard's agenda to replace government with his pet version of ARPA. Honestly, he's read a few blogs on 1960s systems theory and AI and thinks he's the second coming of Alan Turing.

Comment

There are a lot of these sorts of videos but this one sums up pretty well how things are now here in Ireland.

Comment

So basically Cummings has successfully applied eugenics to an entire generation of ou children. Applying grades by region/money instead of individual ability, which will "prove" his theory that intelligence is due to having rich parents / genetics. Even though it was rescinded, it was too late. Countless kids have signed on the line with their second choice university and can't change their mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                          I'm very much hoping - in light of the still growing fiasco of the exams - that even the most spineless yes-men in Tory politics now realize the political fallout of replacing properly informed human decision-making with automated systems and algorithms, and that this seriously knocks the stuffing out of that bastard's agenda to replace government with his pet version of ARPA. Honestly, he's read a few blogs on 1960s systems theory and AI and thinks he's the second coming of Alan Turing.
                          But big data!

Comment

City sees ‘extremely concerning’ rise to 30 cases per 100,000 as positive tests in Britain hit highest level since mid-June

There will be no second national lockdown! We'll simply keep locking down individual towns and cities until every one of them in the UK is shut...
                            Birmingham looks to be next to get clamped down.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                              https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...y-27-in-a-week
                              There will be no second national lockdown! We'll simply keep locking down individual towns and cities until every one of them in the UK is shut...
                              Birmingham looks to be next to get clamped down.
                              Wow... I did not see that coming...

Comment

Could be paranoia, but it's increasingly important to read around the narrative of the papers.

Comment

Working...
                                X