No announcement yet.

United Kingdom VI: Summer Lovin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only your neck swelling up - you were lucky. At 21 mumps can have serious implication in regard to fertility.

Like anyone else born in the 60s/70s mumps, chicken pox, measles and German measles were a right of passage you almost looked forward to because you'd get a week to ten days off school. You were actually encouraged to catch them to get it over with and gain immunity, mumps in particular for boys and German measles for girls. The latter can cause birth defects if you get it is as a pregnant adult.

I've never read about a case of reinfection in relation to any those diseases. There probably are cases but if widespread immunity post infection was not a real thing then hundreds of thousands of people who have never been immunised would be being reinfected throughout their lives and they're not.

Although the same chicken pox virus is involved in cases of shingles in adults, something is said to re-trigger the dormant virus, again only a very small percentage of people who've had chicken pox ever suffer from shingles. Post infection immunity is the norm.

I've never had mumps or certainly never had serious symptoms despite both my brother and sister getting it and on least two other occasions as a kid knowingly and deliberately being directly exposed to it. At school I must have been in contact with carriers multiple times too.

Back then the only treatment was a vile over-sweet medicine of some sort and a bottle of Lucuzade which soon went flat ending up even more horrible than it was when new.

But every year some kids died or had serious complications and still do. In the case of measles that could mean blindness, pneumonia and encephalitis. But it was rare, you just accepted there was nothing you could do and endured the the most unpleasant elements of those diseases with a stoicism that has apparently been lost sometime in the last 40 years.

Comment

The good old days, when life was so grim getting mumps was something to look forward to!

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
        I've never read about a case of reinfection in relation to any those diseases. There probably are cases but if widespread immunity post infection was not a real thing then hundreds of thousands of people who have never been immunised would be being reinfected throughout their lives and they're not.
        Again, different diseases work in different ways when it comes to our body's immune response. For those diseases that leave us with immunity, how long that immunity seems to last varies massively. You need a booster shot for tetanus every 10 years to keep immunity as you lose anti-bodies, for example, whereas immunity to measles and mumps should last a lifetime. As mentioned, the common cold doesn't generate an immunity response at all. Flu jabs lose effectiveness in less than a year due to a combination of losing anti-bodies and changes in the flu itself but, even if the flu didn't change, you'd lose immunity.

Comment

Exclusive: Brussels laments ‘completely wasted’ summer as Berlin takes Brexit off agenda due to lack of ‘tangible progress’

Germany has scrapped plans for further Brexit talks at an ambassador meeting after the UK has wasted the entire summer making no meaningful progress at all. The country believes that the UK intends to deliver No Deal and to attempt to blame Brussels for the outcome. A UK leaked document showed that the Tories know of the scaling costs and damages caused by No Deal at the end of the year and remain steadfast to wasting the talks.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ssadors-summit
            Germany has scrapped plans for further Brexit talks at an ambassador meeting after the UK has wasted the entire summer making no meaningful progress at all. The country believes that the UK intends to deliver No Deal and to attempt to blame Brussels for the outcome. A UK leaked document showed that the Tories know of the scaling costs and damages caused by No Deal at the end of the year and remain steadfast to wasting the talks.
            This is because Cummings and the rest of the front bench can play the stock market, make millions on the inevitable crash and then convert those pounds in to another currency and F off. Leaving the chaos to someone else.

Comment

Yep. You can be sure they’ll do well out of it regardless of what happens to everyone else. Or because of what happens to everyone else.

Comment

Remember BHS. Sir bellend screwed it into oblivion, made his money and sailed off. Its that, but with the entire UK economy.

Comment

I wonder if there actually is/was a Sir Bellend? Sir Bellend of Cheddar, I'd imagine his full title would be.

Comment

Only your neck swelling up - you were lucky. At 21 mumps can have serious implication in regard to fertility.

Like anyone else born in the 60s/70s mumps, chicken pox, measles and German measles were a right of passage you almost looked forward to because you'd get a week to ten days off school. You were actually encouraged to catch them to get it over with and gain immunity, mumps in particular for boys and German measles for girls. The latter can cause birth defects if you get it is as a pregnant adult.

Although the same chicken pox virus is involved in cases of shingles in adults, something is said to re-trigger the dormant virus, again only a very small percentage of people who've had chicken pox ever suffer from shingles. Post infection immunity is the norm.

I've never had mumps or certainly never had serious symptoms despite both my brother and sister getting it and on least two other occasions as a kid knowingly and deliberately being directly exposed to it. At school I must have been in contact with carriers multiple times too.

Back then the only treatment was a vile over-sweet medicine of some sort and a bottle of Lucuzade which soon went flat ending up even more horrible than it was when new.

But every year some kids died or had serious complications and still do. In the case of measles that could mean blindness, pneumonia and encephalitis. But it was rare, you just accepted there was nothing you could do and endured the the most unpleasant elements of those diseases with a stoicism that has apparently been lost sometime in the last 40 years.
                    I had mumps as a kid, then caught it again when i was 28, i can say this as a matter of fact that getting it as an adult is absolutely no joke, it was horrendous, I actually ended up in hospital as my neck swelled up so badly it started to close the throat up and I couldn’t eat.

Don’t even get me started on the swollen testicles just when you think your on the mend as well ☹️
                    Last edited by fishbowlhead; 26-08-2020, 20:59.

Comment

The CBI begs businesses to balance working from home with office working to support city passing trade firms. This reminds me of the Government's pushes for back to office working where the fundamental issue is that it isn't any companies responsibility to do what the Government wants in this regard and also to provide any support to other struggling businesses at all. In essence it's the opposite of the mindset that private business works to and that the Tories have treated as an approach for decades. On an individual level it's awful that so many are losing their jobs and facing hardship, especially the numbers that will come in the coming months. From a corporate level they simply do not, have not nor will give a rats ass and the real failure continues to be the Tories utter unwillingness or ability to adapt to the reality of the situation they are now in.

Comment

I had chicken pox twice as a child. Second time was brutal I even had the spots on the soles of my feet and a few fainting episodes. Must have used an IBC worth of calamine lotion!

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                          I had mumps as a kid, then caught it again when i was 28, i can say this as a matter of fact that getting it as an adult is absolutely no joke, it was horrendous, I actually ended up in hospital as my neck swelled up so badly it started to close the throat up and I couldn’t eat.

Don’t even get me started on the swollen testicles just when you think your on the mend as well ☹️
                          I think I got away quite well. I felt like ****, like I had the flu, and it hurt to eat, but my balls stayed the same.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                            You really don't have much luck with your balls, mate. Bloody hell.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              You really don't have much luck with your balls, mate. Bloody hell.
                              Ha, no I don’t. Also found out i only have 1 kidney after the last ct scan as well, which i never knew about. Its ok though, its a super kidney doing the job of 2 so 🤷.

Comment

Now you're just showing off!
                                Bloody hell.

Comment

Working...
                                X